Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I plan to check out a new, complete Rune this weekend out of town and have three fork options to choose from at the LBS. One being a RS Domain 160/180, Domain U-turn, or Lyrik 2-step?

I am a little undecided because I haven't had anytime on any of these forks and have been used to the "plushness" of running coil forks in the past 5yrs (Zoke Z1 and 55 ETA). I usually am a travel adjust type of guy who likes to steepen the HA for long, steep climbs, and open things up for the bombing downs and usually climb all of of my runs. I am favoring the 1lb lighter weight of the 2-step, and like "on the fly" travel adjust (like Zoke's ETA forks), but a little concerned about 2-step reliability, since I know they had some some problems in the past with earlier models. And really don't want a >6lb fork for this bike, but love the "set and forget" and reliability of most coil stuff.

A little background on me; I am a 220-225 (rider weight) trail to light FR/DH'er who has been riding regularly for about 10yrs in the PacNW with anything from the usual, "run of the mill" trail riding to +3k' climbs to gnar descents with occasional trips to the FR zones.

Any recommendations on what fork may be best for me on this bike? Oh, bike comes with an RP23 shock and I plan on running it until I stand it any longer, than have it "Pushed" or get an Elka.

Thanks,

JG

·
Registered
21 Posts
Domain is a really hard hitter. If you want a fork that will also work on the small bumps get the Lyrik. The 2-step had some problems but it seems to work now, if not you could always convert to u-turn (but dont pin me on that one) and certainly to solo air.

·
Calm like a bomb
3,539 Posts
If those are your only options, I would suggest the Lyric 2-Step and then when/if it fails, replace the spring assembly with a U-Turn Coil or fixed length Coil depending on your preference.

Not a lot of feedback on different shocks at this point. I seem to remember Keith mentioning that the X-Fusion O2 works well with the Rune and an RP23 should work, esp if PUSH tunes it. I opted for an Elka, which should be stellar based on past experiences. I'll have a full report up in time.

Based on your riding style, sure seems like a Lyric Coil U-Turn and an Elka would really suit you.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Thanks guys, very helpful before head down to purchase bike tomorrow?

Yes, that makes sense to go 2-step and replace with coil U-turn if it ever goes out in the future.

So, the is there going to be a difference between a big difference on how a stock RP23 vs RP23 w/boost circuit vs Pushed RP23 behaves on the Rune? Keith, did mention to me that if running coil, you want something with bottom out control, is that the same for air too?

Thanks again guys!

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
MartinS said:
Is there no chance of getting the Manitou ISX 6 with your frame - it is usually an option, it is awesome with the Rune and it wouldn't need any aftermarket mods.
What due to you mean by aftermarket mods? Will the RP23 require some sort of modification to work well with the Rune?

Unfortunately, it's not an option getting the ISX6 since the bike comes complete as is. It is a new 2008 Rune that a LBS had a hard time selling, due to bike "being too much bike for the trails here" in Central Oregon. The bike has a Fox RP23 shock, Domain 318 fork (w/option for Domain U-turn or Lyrik 2-step for an upcharge), SLX brakes/drivetrain, Syncros wheels (DP 25 rims on DH hubs) and Syncros bars/stem.

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
MartinS said:
I was just referring to your comment about having the RP23 "Pushed'.
Ther was a shop selling the right sized ISX 6's on ebay a while ago (7.875 x 2.25).

Just checked, they are still there for $250, here's the link;
http://cgi.ebay.com/Manitou-Evolver...Cycling_Parts_Accessories?hash=item563795602b
Thank for the link Martin! I saved just in case I need it. A friend has a "Pushed" RP23 on his Turner and it feels much better than stock air, so may just do that too for <$200.

Off to check out the Rune tomorrow morning, I hope I like it, icause it will be my X-mas present to me!

·
Registered
870 Posts
220 , go for the coil on both ends. Lyrik coil is very cool for adjustability, and the 2010 has the Mission Control DH, run a firm spring and as little compression as possible and you will like the fork. You will blow through the travel without any sort of bottom out on a rear air, and the DHX air is garbage for mid stroke control. Get the coil and save yourself a lot of headaches. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Chad_Money said:
220 , go for the coil on both ends. Lyrik coil is very cool for adjustability, and the 2010 has the Mission Control DH, run a firm spring and as little compression as possible and you will like the fork. You will blow through the travel without any sort of bottom out on a rear air, and the DHX air is garbage for mid stroke control. Get the coil and save yourself a lot of headaches. :thumbsup:
I'm a hearing ya'. Yeah, I am going to give the air thing a go on this bike, since that is what comes with it and if I end up not liking it, then Elka and coil cart for the Lyrik here I come. I do agree that most +200lb riders who ride hard or are clumsy like myself should be on all coil, but I need to test today's air stuff to officially give it a ban or not. At $2k for the complete Rune with descent parts, I plan on just hammering and replace things as they fail or perform like pooh. I already have a Turner RFX with +4k worth of goods on that thing, its just too bad I can't run my "Pushed" DHX Ti coil shock on the Rune due to sizing issues.

·
Registered
161 Posts
its just too bad I can't run my "Pushed" DHX Ti coil shock on the Rune due to sizing issues.
What year RFX?

My husband has an RFX and it runs the same size rear shock (7.875X2.25) as the Rune. It's the last generation model. I guess I'm not sure what size previous year's shocks were...
That would be convenient to use what you already have.

Good luck on your test ride.

crazyhouse

·
Registered
2,999 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
crazyhouse_5 said:
What year RFX?

My husband has an RFX and it runs the same size rear shock (7.875X2.25) as the Rune. It's the last generation model. I guess I'm not sure what size previous year's shocks were...
That would be convenient to use what you already have.

Good luck on your test ride.

crazyhouse
RFX is an 06' and uses 7.5 x 2.0", like most 5.5" bikes do today. RFX's >07' used 7.875 x 2.25.

I just came home with new, complete Rune last night though, and stoked! Can't wait to get time on it.

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.