Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Folks, I'm about to order a Giant Reign frameset.

It comes with the Manitou Swinger 3-Way and I was wondering whether one needs to compliment this with an SPV fork?

If yes, the choice is the Manitou Nixon Platinum with 20mm axle. If no, then it's the Pike Team Air with Poploc.

I'd rather go with the Pike for the small bump sensitivity, not to mention the $$$ saved.

Anybody care to offer an opinion?

Ta.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Potato Junkie said:
Folks, I'm about to order a Giant Reign frameset.

It comes with the Manitou Swinger 3-Way and I was wondering whether one needs to compliment this with an SPV fork?

If yes, the choice is the Manitou Nixon Platinum with 20mm axle. If no, then it's the Pike Team Air with Poploc.

I'd rather go with the Pike for the small bump sensitivity, not to mention the $$$ saved.

Anybody care to offer an opinion?

Ta.
I have a Pike Team Air on my Reign, and I love it. Only slight bummer is the 20mm through axle, I would have preferred QR dropouts, but I suppose I'll have to wait. Fork is a great match for the bike, plus a lot smoother than an SPV fork (in MY opinion), and totally tweakable.
I back it.
That's my opinion, great fork for the Reign...

BN

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
BikeNerd2453 said:
That's my opinion, great fork for the Reign...

BN
Thanks BN, good you hear it gets your vote of confidence.

Do you miss the adjustable travel on the climbs? This is a real selling point of the Nixon. Also, what does it do to the head angle? I can't find any axel to crown dimensions.

I think (in MY opinion) ;) that you've gone the right way with the Maxle on the Pike. A friend has the U-Turn version on his Yeti 575 and the difference in lateral stiffness between that and his old Talas is incredible. He swears that for the $$$ it's the best on the market.

Pity the Pike Air doesn't (yet) come with the variable travel.

·
Registered
107 Posts
Potato Junkie said:
Thanks BN, good you hear it gets your vote of confidence.

Do you miss the adjustable travel on the climbs? This is a real selling point of the Nixon. Also, what does it do to the head angle? I can't find any axel to crown dimensions.

I think (in MY opinion) ;) that you've gone the right way with the Maxle on the Pike. A friend has the U-Turn version on his Yeti 575 and the difference in lateral stiffness between that and his old Talas is incredible. He swears that for the $$$ it's the best on the market.

Pity the Pike Air doesn't (yet) come with the variable travel.
I don't really miss the adjustable travel, but the bike is pretty well dialed with that much travel front and rear, the angles feel balanced, so I don't really miss that. On a bike designed for less travel, it'd probably be a bigger deal though.
The fork is stiff. STIFF. I do kinda wish it had regular dropouts, just because I'd prefer to run my CrossMax SL instead of the XL wheels, I know, I'm being a weight weenie, but those are my favorite wheels ever. Still, it tracks like no other, that's for sure. My Reba was the stiffest fork I'd ridden, until I got my Pike Air.
I'll hopefully have a pic of my Reign pretty soon, just need to get my tires swapped out. I'll post it up pretty soon...
I only have 1 ride on it though, I'll be going for a longer one tomorrow though, maybe take some pics then...

BN

·
telemarc
293 Posts
My nixon P

I have a Nixon Plat on my reign 1 with the long travel kit installed. I must say I never use the IT Travel and would probably not miss it.I have tried it on a few climbs but can get up the same climb without it. Although when we road trip to the interior I can think of a few spots where I could use it for a long road climb.I may wait to se what fox comes out with in 2006 and get the new lighter Fox 36.

·
I live to bike
2,450 Posts
Nixon Platinum, Pike Air, Marzocchi All Mountain SL are all excellent choices for the Reign. I've been happy enough with my Nixon, but do find that I hardly use the travel adjust--only on really long extended climbs, otherwise I just leave it at full travel.

·
Registered
20 Posts
happy with stock fork

I've been happy with the Nixon Elite. I will agree with the other posts...I never use the travel adjustment. Initially I thought it was a great idea, but who wants to stop during a ride to fiddle with a travel wind down. The bike climbs great at full extension. If anything i might consider decreasing the travel for an extended stretch of twisty singletrack to increase the ht angle and improve quickness...as of yet I still haven't done it...only thought about it! Having too much fun to stop.

·
Registered
938 Posts
anyone riding Riegn with Pike Race (not air!) ?? How does it perform??

have heard some rubbish about weak small bump compliance of Pike is that true ??

·
telemarc
293 Posts
Love my nixon

I love my nixon plat. After not using the travel adjust I finally tried leaving it at 100mm for a full X-C ride and loved it.Now I set it at about 100 for tech cross country and open er up to the 145 for the more downhill stuff. I was a bit leery about whether it would stay where I put it at the shorter settings for the full 2-3 hr ride but it seems to be fine.Reign climbs anything at the shorter settings.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
goRz said:
anyone riding Riegn with Pike Race (not air!) ?? How does it perform??

have heard some rubbish about weak small bump compliance of Pike is that true ??
The guy with the Pike Team (U-Turn coil - not air) loves them and says small bump compliance is not an issue.

I've tried them and found the stock spring really undersprung though. I'm about 12.75 stone and a bit of a clumsy rider though.

He upgraded to the next spring up (about £40 in the UK) and while he reckons it's just right, it's deff. to stiff for me.

I think consensus on the U - Turns seems to be that they're seriously undersprung and tend to cause users to blow through the travel very quickly. There's a guy called Tzcheesy on the Turner forum who's posted quite a bit of feedback.

I should say though that I'm a born again biker and don't have a great deal of experience with lots of current products to benchmark the Pike's performance against. My observations are from a handful of 20min blasts on my mate's 575.

Hope this helps.

PJ.

·
Registered
938 Posts
Potato Junkie just tell mi what is this 12.75 stone in pounds or kilograms... and what is your frines weight?? I am app. 175 pounds. and was thinking about changing the spring to stiffer too.

·
Registered
114 Posts
I just built out my Reign Framset with a Sherman Firefly and it's perfect. I had it on my '04 Jekyll so it's nice and broke in and feels real plush. The Fox 36RC2 has been on my mind and I almost broke down and bought one yesterday despite the issues I have been hearing like the loss of travel and the poor travel adjustment etc... My boys at Supergo told me there is coil version coming out and to wait.

To be honest my Sherman travels more than the 36RC2 for some reason even though the Firefly is spec at 130mm and the 36 is 150mm. It's weird but I had the forks side by side and my Firefly had more travel. If I was buying a fork I would get a Firefly plus with QR which evens out the front and rear travel but I can't justify buying the Firefly plus just to gain 2 cm of travel and the plus costs $600.

The Nixon PT looks good on paper but I have only heard bad things about the IT due to the fact that it does not always go to the 145mm travel position without stopping and pushing down on the lowers. The Sherman Firefly plus has rapid travel 2 which works great, a TI coil, 150mm of travel, the choice of QR or a 20mm thru axle, SPV evolve and only weighs 5lbs.

I am happy with mine but I might break down and get the coil 36 when it comes out, it just depends on if I $1000 burning a hole in my pocket :p

Attachments

1 - 13 of 13 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.