Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 8 of 8 Posts

·
Registered
3 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Since this is both a brake and fork question I wasn't sure where to put it. So it goes in general.

Questions from someone who hasn't bought new bike stuff in a very long time:

My wife got me a Manitou Minute 3 fork for xmas to replace my ancient Girvin Vector 2 fork that doesn't work so well any more. The problem is that this fork has no posts for brakes, and my 10 year old bike is from well before the days of disk brakes. So what should I do? As far I can tell there is not a version of this fork with posts (or at least not where my wife got it). Is it easy/relatively inexpensive to put disk brakes (front at least) on a 10 year old bike? What all will I need to replace? Does that make more sense than looking for a different fork?

Thanks.

-- Brian

·
Vaginatarian
5,686 Posts
Markarian421 said:
Since this is both a brake and fork question I wasn't sure where to put it. So it goes in general.

Questions from someone who hasn't bought new bike stuff in a very long time:

My wife got me a Manitou Minute 3 fork for xmas to replace my ancient Girvin Vector 2 fork that doesn't work so well any more. The problem is that this fork has no posts for brakes, and my 10 year old bike is from well before the days of disk brakes. So what should I do? As far I can tell there is not a version of this fork with posts (or at least not where my wife got it). Is it easy/relatively inexpensive to put disk brakes (front at least) on a 10 year old bike? What all will I need to replace? Does that make more sense than looking for a different fork?

Thanks.

-- Brian
you will need a new wheel or at least a new hub, rotor, caliper, line and brake lever
a couple of hundred bucks if you do it yourself
prob. not worth it on a 10 year old bike, I'd look around for a fork with rim brake dogs

·
Elitest thrill junkie
38,801 Posts
Phil said:
didn't they use 1" threaded steerers on bikes 10 years ago? If so, the Manitou is not an option.
If he has a girvin front shock on there he probably has a 1.125 steerer.

·
ride hard take risks
25,423 Posts
You should be able to buy a front wheel assembly for disc & a Avid 160 cable front disc setup. Front wheel say XT with RynoLite about 60.00 front Avid disc about 75.00, bolt it all together then ride with a smile.
I did this on my Marin Team Streb bike about 5 years ago when i bought a Manitou Black, worked wonderfull.

1 - 8 of 8 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.