Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just getting back into the mountain bike scene, and I want to know your thoughts on current suspension technology (5"+). I'm from the motocross scene, so it's mainly coil over oil with air bleed offs on the forks or a gas pre-charge on the rear shock.

How are the new air forks? I'm a bit hesitant. I was in a local bike shop, the sales guy, after telling me air suspensions rock, pushed down on the fork of a Cannondale, and the seal popped off with a loud bang; it hit the guy in the head...quite classic moment.

What are decent forks? What are junk? How 'bout shocks?

·
Registered
812 Posts
All of the best brands high end forks are nice, Fox, Marz, and Rock Shocks all have sweet forks. Air vs Coil is a matter of opinion, I still prefer coil but I have a Fox 36 talas which is an air fork and it has been great, it's not quite as plush as a nice coil but it's very stiff and seems to be quite durable. And it's very tunable, but it's also one of the most expensive single crown forks out. Marzocchi's have always been known for there duribilty they just keep going.

As far as rear shocks I would go with either a Fox (first choice) or a Progressive.

If you're getting into "Freeride/DH" type of riding I suggest going to Mojo Wheels and talk to Bob, they have more DH/Freeride gear than any other bike shop I've been to. I race for the team though so I might be corrupted! :D

Good luck!

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
bikeandski said:
All of the best brands high end forks are nice, Fox, Marz, and Rock Shocks all have sweet forks. Air vs Coil is a matter of opinion, I still prefer coil but I have a Fox 36 talas which is an air fork and it has been great, it's not quite as plush as a nice coil but it's very stiff and seems to be quite durable. And it's very tunable, but it's also one of the most expensive single crown forks out. Marzocchi's have always been known for there duribilty they just keep going.

As far as rear shocks I would go with either a Fox (first choice) or a Progressive.

If you're getting into "Freeride/DH" type of riding I suggest going to Mojo Wheels and talk to Bob, they have more DH/Freeride gear than any other bike shop I've been to. I race for the team though so I might be corrupted! :D

Good luck!
Thanks! I called the shop the other day, but Bob was off. I will contact them today, and I'll probably go check it out. I have a lot of education to catch up on...I'd hate to purchase a ride then find something that would've been substantially better.

You catching any of the freshies? Big storm moving in tonight and tomorrow. I was thinking of taking a powder day on Monday. I really like Wolf Creek, but they're not getting the storms (yet).

·
Registered
812 Posts
jtomasik said:
Thanks! I called the shop the other day, but Bob was off. I will contact them today, and I'll probably go check it out. I have a lot of education to catch up on...I'd hate to purchase a ride then find something that would've been substantially better.

You catching any of the freshies? Big storm moving in tonight and tomorrow. I was thinking of taking a powder day on Monday. I really like Wolf Creek, but they're not getting the storms (yet).
Sadly I have not even been up this season, this is the first season in years when I didn't get a pass, so you can thank me for all the snow :D

I've only been to Wolf Creek for a day or two but I really liked it, I went down there for a big storm and they had killer conditions, it was deep! The Waterfall area is just bada$$!

·
Not just famous; infamous
1,069 Posts
Just some general thoughts I have, mainly from reading reviews, this forum and listening to people who have ridden some of the products:

Shocks: Have to agree with the Fox recommendation for the rear shock, especially if you're looking at air. Both the Fox DHX coil and air shox seem like good choices. The Cane Creek Double Barrel (coil) may be the best shock on the market...if you're made of money :rolleyes: . Progressive's coil shocks seem good, but I'm heard people say they have a "dead" feel, unlike the Foxes which are more "lively."

Forks (I'm assuming since you're an MX guy, you're looking for beefy, 20mm axle forks): If you're on any kind of budget, the only choice is the Rock Shox Pike. RS got a deservedly bad rap over the years, but since SRAM purchased them about 3-4 years ago, they're back in the game. The Pike (5.5") is a great fork that costs about half of the comparable offerings from Fox, Marzocchi or Manitou.

Manitou's coil forks are good, but they've had problems with the IT air models. The new Travis models (all coil) look good, but they're first year product, no telling how they'll work out.

Fox makes some great forks, you'd probably like the 36 Vanilla (6.3"). Very nice fork, but very pricey. The TALAS (air) version is nice, but even more expensive AFAIK.

Since you're from a MX background, you'll probably love Marzocchis. The Z1 (5-6") or 66 (6.7") series will be right up your alley. Extremely plush, tunable and durable. But, like everything but the Pike, fairly expensive if bought at MSRP, but easy to find deals depending on the time of the year.

Like B&S said, go talk to the guys at Mojo. Of all the shops I'm familiar with, they're the most into the DH/FR scene...the stuff you'd be interested in.

·
Registered
43 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Guys, thanks for your input. I'm looking at a Scott Nitrous bike. I rode it, and it does pretty well. I'm a bit concerned about the fork. It's a Marz Z1 Freeride. It has that lockout feature on it. But, I didn't see any rebound damping adjustments. I'm a bit bugging out on that one. I'm not sure if it's a real problem or not. I know on a motocross bike, this would be a huge no-no. The Marz has the feature that allows you to lock out the forks. Anyone know about this fork?

Oh, I'll be firing up my ski season a bit later in the year...probably around late January-early February. If anyone wants to hook up for a Wolf Creek run when it dumps, lemme know.

·
Not just famous; infamous
1,069 Posts
do some research...

...find out exactly what the fork is called. There are different versions of the Z1. AFAIK, all Marzocchi forks have rebound adjustments. The higher end forks have a knob on the bottom of the right leg, the lower end have an internal adjustment under the top cap.

Check out Marzocchi's website, probably the 2005 section (I'm guessing the Scott is a '05 model) for the FR series of forks. The Z1 FR1 and FR2 are really good forks, the Z1 FR3, is a decent fork.

http://www.marzocchi.com/spa/mtb/?LN=UK&Sito=usa-mtb

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.