Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Ok Homers, I need your help. It should be obvious why I'm coming to this particular group on this question (probably half the group has ridden these forks). It looks like I'll have the opportunity to get a screaming deal on a Fox 36 in the not-so-distant future. The question is Vanilla or TALAS?

My plan, at this point, is to build down my older 6" Stinky Primo to be a burly trail /FR lite bike (ala the 6 Pack.....no Kona jokes please). ;) Then, I'll move my DH components, wheels and 66 RC over to my new FR/DH bike (probably a Transition Gran Mal). I currently have a pushed Vanilla RC on the Stinky, but I may consider putting a DHX air on in the future to help lighten it up further since the frame's burly. This will give me a stable of 4", 6" and 8.5" travel bikes.....a good mix, I think.

My revised Stinky will still see some abuse in Whistler and the Shore (although my new bike will see the brunt of the abuse) and I'm wondering how much abuse the TALAS version of this fork can take? I'm 165 lbs. with my gear and would probably take this fork off drops 8-10 feet and gaps of no more than, say, 15 feet, but it will also see lots of typical trail use that involves climbing, rolly stuff, etc.

Does the high speed compression damping help a bunch with bottoming on bigger drops? I think I remember El C saying that he had one and he was bottoming it pretty hard, but the dude's considerably larger than me. Is bottoming a big issue for others riding these forks? I don't go off things to flat for fun and can generally hit transitions, but there are times where I overshoot a stepdown or table and go to flat (much to the chagrin of my ankles, wrists and back). :eek:

Also, I've heard the stories about the travel reducing by 5-10 mm. Has this been fixed or is this even a big issue?

Anyway, having the travel adjust for trail riding and a bit of weight reduction is of interest to me since I'm trying to build a mid 30 lb. trailbike, but NOT at the cost of reliability/durability. My last 3 forks have been 'Zocchi's so I'm pretty spoiled by their performance and I'm wondering if this is an avenue worth pursuing.

What say ye, Homers?? Thanks for any input!!!
EBX

P.S. I had an at-length discussion with my "Turner ambassador", FM, the other night and we didn't really come to a conclusion one way or the other. We're both 'Zocchi whores so you can guess where we were leaning. :)

·
No, that's not phonetic
14,313 Posts
I've played around on a number of different 36s, Talas and Vanilla. The Talas forks ranged from feeling like absolute crap to feeling not so bad depending on how old they were. I assumed this was because Fox was fixing issues on the fly and the newer forks had the "patches" installed. None of them ever wowed me though. I personally would not buy one, but that's me.

All the Vanillas felt consistently good. As good as any other fork I have ridden, I'd say. Maybe a bit stiffer than my Zokes. The damping felt on par. If I were to run out and buy a big SC fork and I didn't want to be able to lower it, I'd consider a Van.

But then again I am not going to buy another big fork (no, not even a 66) until the new SC Rockshox come out next year.

·
Registered
1,644 Posts
Rs 38?

2TurnersNotEnough said:
I'm really trying to figure out what to do for a big 150mm fork for the next year too. I want the big RockShox SC fork now dammit!
Has there been any word on when the RS is going to come out....any word...

when does the new TALAS 36 come out? Is it going to have 160mm of travel? Any word on the improvements,

Dream fork would be RS 38? with U-turn 140-170mm Air or Coil. But if the air was as good as the Pike AIr I would go for that.

Oh well! Until then ......

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
ebxtreme said:
P.S. I had an at-length discussion with my "Turner ambassador", FM, the other night and we didn't really come to a conclusion one way or the other. We're both 'Zocchi whores so you can guess where we were leaning. :)
I think the 36 is right for some people, but probably not for you EB.

It seems kind of like a swiss-army knife fork, does a little of everything but doesn't excel at any one. And since you will have 3 bikes, you'd probably be better served by a fork that does one thing well for XC, FR and DH.

Also (disclaimer; I've only ridden 2 36's and not owned one) I've never been able to get past the sense that it does feel really like an air fork. Stiction feels good, but it has a weird wooden kind of air-sprung feel to me. Back-to-back, I felt like my 130mm Z1 had better small bump compliance and was smoother on horse chop- although the 36 was noticably stiffer.

I'm sure the 36Van has better feel, only 1/2lb heavier, and you probably woudn't use more than 1.5" of travel adjust anyways.

·
Registered
229 Posts
New Fox 36 Talas 160

G-AIR said:
Has there been any word on when the RS is going to come out....any word...

when does the new TALAS 36 come out? Is it going to have 160mm of travel? Any word on the improvements,

Dream fork would be RS 38? with U-turn 140-170mm Air or Coil. But if the air was as good as the Pike AIr I would go for that.

Oh well! Until then ......
I contacted fox last week regarding the 160mm 3 position (100/130/160mm) Talas. They stated that considering it should have been available 10/05, they are really hoping to have it available by the end of 01/06 or 02/06. I sure hope it's available soon.

·
T , V , & K Rider
2,342 Posts
3 position Talas ?

Wilbur said:
I contacted fox last week regarding the 160mm 3 position (100/130/160mm) Talas. They stated that considering it should have been available 10/05, they are really hoping to have it available by the end of 01/06 or 02/06. I sure hope it's available soon.
I wonder if Fox would be willing or be able to do an upgrade of the 3 position travel system on my 05 36 Talas ? However, as soon as the new Rock Shox " big fork " comes out it will probably be history anyway ! The 06 Marzocchi 66's have been tempting me as well ! TIG.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 · (Edited)
Thanks....and keep em coming!

Airwreck, FM, Tscheezy and crew,

Much appreciated on everyone's thoughts. I'm certainly leaning towards the Vanilla, but the height adjustability of the TALAS would make my Stinky a bit more versatile for some slow, tech stuff that we ride most winter. But, if it doesn't have the capabilities to rip on the bigger stuff that we hit in Spring-Fall, then it's elminated from contention. That's kind of what I'm interested to hear to hear about. I'm less concerned about the weight difference since they're both light, imo.

Also, if I keep my 66, there won't be a big difference between the Vanilla and my 66 (or is there?) so that might precipitate selling the 66 and purchasing a 888 for my big bike to further differentiate their uses.....which is always possible. Below is the type of stuff I take my 66 off of......

Airwreck, I know Rob bought his Vanilla right before he came up to our parts and hit the Shore/Whistler and it did great there. Do you guys climb fine with the Vanilla and take your RFX's on most of your rides?

Chers,
EBX

Attachments

·
Registered
9,470 Posts
ebxtreme said:
the height adjustability of the TALAS would make my Stinky a bit more versatile for some slow, tech stuff that we ride most winter. But, if it doesn't have the capabilities to rip on the bigger stuff that we hit in Spring-Fall, then it's elminated from contention.
If you put lighter wheels and a 36 on your stinky, it's going to be within a few lbs of your bear. What is the point of having both?

Along the same lines, after experimenting with 5", 6" and hardtail set-ups for local XC use, the 6" option was by far my least favorite. (which is why I'll be picking up a 5" XC bike this year). The geometry and higher center of gravity of the 6" bike kinda suck for super twisty local areas like sawyer, tokul and carnation, regardless of teh weight. Besides, 5" is plenty for the local XC hucking.

If I was you I'd go for a 2-bike plan and maybe have some spare parts (i.e. air shock, rocker options, wheelsets) that you could use to tweak your build for road trips, seasonal rides, etc.

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
FM said:
If you put lighter wheels and a 36 on your stinky, it's going to be within a few lbs of your bear. What is the point of having both?

If I was you I'd go for a 2-bike plan and maybe have some spare parts (i.e. air shock, rocker options, wheelsets) that you could use to tweak your build for road trips, seasonal rides, etc.
Hey FM,

Well, if I could get the Stinky to be, say, 34-35 lbs. with an adjustable head angle from the travel adjust on the TALAS, I could ride that bike on climb and drop rides like Tiger and Galbraith. Then, that leaves the Bear for the rolly and tight stuff like Sawyer and Tolt.

I guess I'm asking the "which fork" question because the only 36 TALAS I've ridden feels great and it isn't even close to being setup correctly for me. I haven't really taken it for more than the parking lot test though, so I don't have extensive time on it.

Tscheezy, you mentioned your waiting on the new RS and didn't sound astounded by the air 36, but have they impoved in feel and reliability since then? Don't get me wrong, I'm leaning towards a Vanilla, but I just want to make sure that my bias against air forks isn't pushing me towards a Vanilla without the proper rationale.

Cheers,
EB

·
Registered
1,143 Posts
EB / FM; You're welcome to test out my 36 RC 2, maybe that will help you make up your mind. We could meet up at SeaTac if that works for you. However, the 36 is on my large pack; 70mm stem/straight seatpost.

The 36 holds up well with my weight-which is a ton more than you weigh. However, I don't do the stuff you do; 1-2 footers at best. One thing for sure is there is a big difference in performance now that the fork is broken in-it's pretty smooth.

I started with an 05 Z-1 FR-150mm and I gotta say I like the 36 better-it's way stiffer and it tracks well with the 20mm front axle. I tend to run the fork pumped up because I'm scared to death of brake dive but I've had good luck the few times I've fooled around with the adjustments.

Changing the settings is a no brainer with the 36 so you're welcome to adjust away to see if it works for you. I've seen a guy at SeaTac with a new Enduro and a 36, he hits everything out there and doesn't have any trouble.

As for the adjustable travel, it's nice when you need it but most of the time I leave it extended. Another plus is when I adjust the travel down, the fork works just as well as it does in the extended position.

The Talas 2 cartridge is supposed to be available in February, it has a 3 click adjuster and it's 160mm of travel. The good news is the Talas 2 will fit in the 05 model which makes for a nice upgrade.

Tscheezy hit the nail on the head when he said the 36 Van is taller than the Talas and makes climbing a challenge-that was enough for me. I loved the way the Z-1 FR made my pack stand up, but I gotta say the 36 makes for a more stable ride.

Let me know if you wanna test ride.
Turtle

·
~~~~~~~~
5,937 Posts
ebxtreme said:
Do you guys climb fine with the Vanilla and take your RFX's on most of your rides?
That's my only ride and I do plenty of steep tech uphill, we both crash the thursday night lycra fest and embarass the weight weenies on the uphills with our 35+lb. bikes. They shame us at drinking though.

Wish we could get them to help us move big rocks into transitions...:( .

It's actually kind of funny because there is often a new person who will show up on an epic or something and after the ride they will be lifting our bikes and scratching their heads going how do these guys beat me up the hill :p .

The set it and forget it aspect of the van appeals to me also, the thing was perfect out of the box and I'm not into changing the travel of a fork although I did a bit of experimentation with my previous setups and got a good idea what different head angles felt like.

·
Hisforever
1,867 Posts
Yeah what he said EB, its true :p

The Vanilla takes the abuse., I am sure the talas can too, however, there may be reliability issues.

Is it worth the risk to have travel adjustments for the climb?.

What about a Marz 66 or AM??? can you get a good deal on these too?

Oh Yeah,........................................Nice Air Supply Bro!!!!!!!!!!

& Nice Lava Flo too!!!!

Peace Homers!

·
Just roll it......
7,621 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
SHAHEEB said:
Yeah what he said EB, its true :p
Airwreck / Rob, thanks for the input, guys. As FM can attest, our crew doesn't have a gram counter in the bunch, so keeping up on climbs shouldn't be an issue. I was mainly wondering whether the air version would be up to the challenge of bigger stuff (while offering versatility to the mix), but it sounds like most folks that own the TALAS 36 are using it more for AM applications at this point and might not have done super big stuff on it.

Turtle, thanks for your offer. I may take you up on it, but my buddy's 575 with a TALAS might fit me a bit better so maybe I'll coax him into letting me give it a try and setting the suspension correct. I'm definitely leaning towards the Vanilla at this point and just read the A2C on that fork is 545 mm (~2 full inches shorter than my 66), so that'll certainly help my bike pedal/climb much better!!

Cheers,
EBX

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.