Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 2 of 2 Posts

·
Registered
1 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I've ordered a 06 Carbon disc frameset and want advice on a front fork. Did not want group set/wheel set on full Epic as Specialized have moved to SRAM and they still stick with 6-bolt whereas I'm very pleased with centre lock.

I've had an Epic Marathon 04 with F100X but my recent ride has been a Easton Scandium alloy frame/XTR hard tail used effectively in XC racing. The HT has a SID 80mm World Cup with remote lockout and I find this very effective and better than the F100X for responding to short climbs off the saddle; definitely not as stiff as the F100X though. Being held back during descents by the HT compared to the Epic but slightly faster up hill due to more efficient power transfer. Reason for Epic is I'm getting too knocked around on the HT and recovery is an issue with national races every weekend.
The Epic will get use on 2 hour XC races through to 3-4 hour marathon races with the HT reserved for less technical and short courses. Wanting to stick with remote lockout rather than inertial valve control [in fact Specialized have gone away from F100X even on the S-Works Epic complete bike; not sure of the reason, cannot be cost given bike cost].

Definitely want some form of motion control so thinking Reba Team with U Turn so I can change travel externally. Comments, suggestions as to fork? Did look at the Talas XCC but weight is getting up and not sure optional 130mm off the front of the Epic would be good for bike balance.

·
Registered
410 Posts
F100x

I was in the same situation. In fact, my frame should be in this week. I chose the F100x because I think it makes the most sense to match an inertia front with the inertia back end. I think the bike will feel more balanced from a suspension stand point. Cost was the reason they didn't spec it this year on the full bikes. I have had a SID World cup in the past on my current Epic and it was way to flemsy ( I weigh 165lbs.) I was thinking about the Manituo R7 but have heard they are too hard to keep setup properly. The F130 xxt might be a good choice too. You can change the travel to 100mm. The reason I didn't choose that is because "trail tuned" doesn't have that "locked out " feel that the F80/100x or the Epic rear end has. Good luck.

1 - 2 of 2 Posts