Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Goofing off?
441 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
So I just got a new frame (KHS XC104 w/ 4.2" rear travel) and the steerer on my 03 Psylo is about 3/4" too short - Doh!:madman: This was supposed to be my franken bike project, well, now I have to get a new fork. (at least I was able to sell my old psylo on eBay in like 23 minutes) Here are my choices for an XC /all mountain fork in the $200 or less range. Please advise what you feel would work the best and why. THANK YOU!

2006 Manitou Black Platinum Lockout 100mm
Weight: 3.8 lbs
Travel: 100mm
Damping: TPC Lockout
Adjustments: Air, Rebound, Lockout
Lubrication: Semi-Bath with Evil Genius Seals
Spring: Air
Casting: Magnesium RA
Stanchions: 30mm Aluminum
Steerer: Aluminum 1 1/8"
Crown: Forged Aluminum with Satin Black Finish
Axle: Standard QR
Ride Height : 470 mm
Color: Black
Braking: Disc Only

2007 Rock Shox Tora 318 U-Turn Coil
U-Turn coil spring system with external travel adjustabilty (130-85mm)
MotionControl oil damping with external rebound, compression+lockout, and fixed high-threshold floodgate (PopLoc remote kit available separately)
1-1/8" threadless aluminum steerer with 32mm 4130 CrMo-steel taperwall stanchions fixed into a forged, hollow 6061-T6 aluminum crown
1-piece magnesium lower legs with 9x100mm quick-release dropouts, linear and disc brake compatible (51mm IS-QR): 2.4" tire OK

Manitou Minute 1:00 Fork '05
Coil spring with RTWD (Rapid Travel Wind Down) travel adjustment from 100-130mm via top-mounted knob
SPV Evolve damping allows platform-type performance while retaining small bump sensitivity
74mm post mount for disc brake calipers (accepts Avid, Hayes and other 74mm calipers w/160mm rotor systems directly, adapters available for other fits)
Disc brake only - rim brakes cannot be used
4.4 lbs

Attachments

·
Not just famous; infamous
1,069 Posts
What's your brake situation?

Maybe you've already thought this out, but remember that Manitous are post mount only. If you're buying new brakes or have a post mount compatible front brake caliper you're golden.

If you don't have a post mount front brake or adapter, and don't want to get one, you can't go with Manitou, which could make your decision very easy. :p

Looking at those three fork, the RS looks tempting anyway, but it's probably the heaviest of the three...if that makes any difference.

I was in sorta this same situation. Built up a DJ as a winter project, using my old parts, and the fork's steerer was about 3/4" too short. I ended up buying a new upper assembly from Fox, which while not cheap, was still less than a new fork.

Good luck.

1 - 6 of 6 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.