Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 24 Posts

·
Loser
Joined
·
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I have been trying to figure out a way to get into a bigger bike. I love my RX100, but its not the right tool for some of the stuff I've been doing lately.

I've spent way too much time over at Ebay looking for something used, Bulitt, Super-moto, Quasi - anything. I think a lot of people have an elevated idea of what a used bike is worth. You can't ride a bike for 3 years then sell it for 75% of what you paid for it.

Anyway, I was at the local Eastern Mountain Sports and picked up an '05 Rocky Mountain Switch (6" front and back) for a song. I was really hoping to get my hands on that new Titus, but I just couldn't pass on this deal. I got the whole bike for probably a few dollars more than the Titus frame alone.

I'll still be riding my RX100, once the honeymoon is over with this big(ger) bike.

John
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
Jisch said:
I have been trying to figure out a way to get into a bigger bike. I love my RX100, but its not the right tool for some of the stuff I've been doing lately.

I've spent way too much time over at Ebay looking for something used, Bulitt, Super-moto, Quasi - anything. I think a lot of people have an elevated idea of what a used bike is worth. You can't ride a bike for 3 years then sell it for 75% of what you paid for it.

Anyway, I was at the local Eastern Mountain Sports and picked up an '05 Rocky Mountain Switch (6" front and back) for a song. I was really hoping to get my hands on that new Titus, but I just couldn't pass on this deal. I got the whole bike for probably a few dollars more than the Titus frame alone.

I'll still be riding my RX100, once the honeymoon is over with this big(ger) bike.

John
Sad.

Congrats on the new bike.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
9,467 Posts
Congrats! You're gonna love it. The switch looks like a killer bike.

I think Titus has a hole in their line-up right now which the buck60 should fill... something bigger than a motolite, but not quite the full super-moto... building the supermoto up light seems kind of wrong somehow. The switch is right in between, perfect!
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
blackagness said:
I bet your gonna have alot of fun on the bigger bike for a while.
In my case, I forgive him just because it's a Rocky Mountain :D

Man, those frames are beautiful and highly underrated. They're up there in quality with the best, made in Canada, but for some weird reason, they don't get all the bling merit they have.

A buddy of mine has an ETSX and a Vertex HT and they're a thing of beauty. Certainly, his frames do not look (or ride) less than our Titus, Turners.

We joke about having a "Bling Shootout" when we join Titus, Turner, Yeti and RM on the same ride... we're just lucky.:thumbsup:
 

·
I wonder why?
Joined
·
552 Posts
Warp said:
Certainly, his frames do not look (or ride) less than our Titus, Turners.
:D Sorry Warp,:D I'll have to disagree with you on the ride part. :winker:

My buddy has a new ETSX (either Team or 70) and the rear end feels like a noodle compared to my HH. :cryin:

It does look good though.:cool: :p :rolleyes: :smilewinkgrin:

i1dry?
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,683 Posts
Bonjour from France, I tell ya, my body doesnt know what country I am in.....

Anyway, some deals are just killer that you cannot pass up, even if you dont end up liking the ride, the components can be on sold.................Sometimes that is the beauty of purchasing a fully built rig. Those OEM spec´s can be dirt cheap.

Congrats, enjoy the ride............:thumbsup:
 

·
Loser
Joined
·
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Yeah...

I do feel a bit like I'm slumming getting a RM. I don't know why, I suppose its marketing. The Shift is not noodly, its solid (it also weighs about 6 lbs more than my RX100). We'll see.

John
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,721 Posts
Jisch said:
I do feel a bit like I'm slumming getting a RM. I don't know why, I suppose its marketing. The Shift is not noodly, its solid (it also weighs about 6 lbs more than my RX100). We'll see.

John
rockys are cool yo! get that slummin feeling out of your head or you'll be buying a supermoto in 6 months.
 

·
Loser
Joined
·
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
I wish...

demo_slug said:
rockys are cool yo! get that slummin feeling out of your head or you'll be buying a supermoto in 6 months.
My point is that there is power in marketing. I never see any Tituses in CT, I feel like I'm riding a one of a kind machine when I'm on my RX100.

I see a lot of RMs around, and you get them at EMS, which is a chain, not an LBS. That being said, the bike handles amazingly well for such a beast. Its a four bar, so I'm used to how the suspension feels.

I haven't done a real ride on it yet, only loops around the rooty, rocky trail behind my house. Its a bit heavy on the ups, but it seems to be pretty easy to lean into corners, it responds well. I can't wait to get it in the air. I have some set up issues with the Marz FR fork and I have a too heavy spring in back, both of which should be taken care of today, after that I'll really know what I'm dealing with here.

John
 

·
I wonder why?
Joined
·
552 Posts
Jisch said:
I do feel a bit like I'm slumming getting a RM. I don't know why, I suppose its marketing. The Shift is not noodly, its solid (it also weighs about 6 lbs more than my RX100). We'll see.

I didn't mean to imply that the Switch was noodly, it's significantly beefier than the ETSX. I was comparing the ETSX to the HH or RX100, which are more similar rearding intended purpose.;) :D ;)

Sound s like you got a great ride for a sweet price. Have fun building it up.:cool:

i1dry?
 

·
Loser
Joined
·
5,536 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Defensive...

i1dry said:
I didn't mean to imply that the Switch was noodly, it's significantly beefier than the ETSX. I was comparing the ETSX to the HH or RX100, which are more similar rearding intended purpose.;) :D ;)

Sound s like you got a great ride for a sweet price. Have fun building it up.:cool:

i1dry?
Thanks, I didn't mean to get all defensive there...

John
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,683 Posts
Jisch, am sure that once you get the Marz fork dialled in, it will be great. I love Marz forks, stepping way out on a limb moving to a Pike, time will tell..

Good luck with the bike
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
Whafe said:
Jisch, am sure that once you get the Marz fork dialled in, it will be great. I love Marz forks, stepping way out on a limb moving to a Pike, time will tell..

Good luck with the bike

Don't sweat the Pike, Whafe... that's the only other fork Marz users would consider. And its reliability record is better than Marzocchi's AM line (Back in 2005, AM's had problems with clunking, not properly bled from factory TST's, sloppy bushings, etc. while the Pike was nearly flawless, except for some small oil leak off the top of the Motion Control knobs).

As you say, time will tell... but I think you made a safe bet.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,683 Posts
Warp said:
Don't sweat the Pike, Whafe... that's the only other fork Marz users would consider. And its reliability record is better than Marzocchi's AM line (Back in 2005, AM's had problems with clunking, not properly bled from factory TST's, sloppy bushings, etc. while the Pike was nearly flawless, except for some small oil leak off the top of the Motion Control knobs).

As you say, time will tell... but I think you made a safe bet.
I think so too also, I can handle a 2% drop in performance, the Pike is so light, not from a weight weenie view point, but having a light build on the Id, that was one negative, the front end was slightly almost too heavy. The Motolite is so balanced weight wise, the Pike is helping with this hugely...

Pm'd ya Warp
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
10,683 Posts
Ski-U-Mah said:
Gotta love that thread, it's got pictures of Whafe's new rig in it. :D
Mah ha ha ha ha, was proud, had to show the Turner Homies.......................:eek:
 

·
"El Whatever"
Joined
·
18,889 Posts
Ski-U-Mah said:
Gotta love that thread, it's got pictures of Whafe's new rig in it. :D
Actually, I think that's the most popular bike on the site nowadays... Whafe just blew it out the bling scale.

Just like when Baby Ruth put it out the Yankee Stadium... :thumbsup:
 
1 - 20 of 24 Posts
Top