Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Big Mac
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
So would it be considered sinful or just plain wrong to weld disc tabs on to my Race Lite? I mostly use this thing as a fully rigid baby hauler and with the combined weight of my son and the Chariot trailer I could use a little more breaking power on steep singletrack! Whadaya think? Me crazy? I do love riding this bike though and it is beginning to creep back into my ride schedule other than kid hauling. So, any thoughts?

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
serious? you're going that fast on trails with a kid in a trailer? I tow a kid with cantis no problem on pretty good terrain.

even so, I still wouldn't do that to an old Bontrager.

·
Big Mac
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Fillet-brazed said:
serious? you're going that fast on trails with a kid in a trailer? I tow a kid with cantis no problem on pretty good terrain.

even so, I still wouldn't do that to an old Bontrager.
Yah, I'm serious. The problem is that on steepish trails I go faster than I would prefer. The cantis really just don't seem to keep up the ghost with the added weight. I'd like a bit more control. That is all.

·
illuminaughty
1,651 Posts
If you plan on keeping it, I say do it :thumbsup: . It's your bike, it will make it more enjoyable and functional for you. Just do a nice job on it.

If you have doubts, try a "Uni-disc adapter"(?)..I cant remember the exact name but it's a fairly clean bolt on adapter. I put one on my Litespeed Owl Hollow and it works fine. About $40.00 on Ebay. That way you could change back to "stock" if desired

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
mbmb65 said:
Yah, I'm serious. The problem is that on steepish trails I go faster than I would prefer.

check hand strength and/or brake adjustment. ;)

regardless, I'm sure you can skid the rear wheel with cantis so why not just get a front disc?

avoid all the welding, new wheel, and repainting... all for a child trailer...

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,285 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
why not just get a front disc?
I'm with FB on this one.

First off, a rear disc will just allow you to skid more effectively. As most realize (but it's worth mentioning anyway) your power comes from the front brake, the rears basically a rudder. Slap a cheapo rigid fork with a tab on it, or if you already have a susser fork on it, it may be set up now with them.

Doing that to a perfectly functional decent older frame, when there's a better option that actually does what you need, is silly.;)

Better yet, since your on a vintage forum, how about you ditch the heavy modern Chariot, and get one of those old school front facing handle bar mount child seats that were all the rage BITD. That's what I started out riding in, man, if only my mom had been into ripping single track when I was little, we could have had big fun!:D

·
Registered
2,401 Posts
Rodriguez

Have you ever used those Rodriguez Canti's. Always been curious about them.

·
Big Mac
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #16
Fillet-brazed said:
check hand strength and/or brake adjustment. ;)

regardless, I'm sure you can skid the rear wheel with cantis so why not just get a front disc?

avoid all the welding, new wheel, and repainting... all for a child trailer...
Well, I'm super strong (strong as hell actually, it's weird) and the XT V-brakes are adjusted and work well, so your point is well taken. If I can find a squishy fork with disc tabs AND a 1" steer tube that route would be ideal. And perhaps I'll try the rear disc adapter that was mentioned.

·
Big Mac
4,981 Posts
Discussion Starter #17
You see this is why I come here and ask these questions! Thanks for all the responses.

·
Registered
41 Posts
This cromo and a unique dropout design will make the difficult at best, and stupid at worst. Your frame will ultimately break with a disc mount welded on the back. Run a rim brake on the back and get a fork fior the fornt with a disc mount. You only get 20% of your braking from the back brake anyhow.

With the unique Bontrager rear canti mounts, the add-on disc adaptor is also a reallty bad idea. You will do far more damage to yourself, you bike and potentially your children when the frame/add-on brake adaptor busts.

Like I said - V-Brake or canti on the rear, disc up front. Do it.

·
Registered
7,696 Posts
Veloculture said:
i have to disagree with all of you. GOOD canti's with good pads are best for heavier loads. tandems and touring bikes have always and still work best with canti's.

here's an article by Rodriguez tandem's on the issue. http://www.rodcycle.com/articles/brakes.html
His main issues with V's though are fender mounting issues, thin pads, and having to use an adapter with road levers. Which are good points if you're a hard core tandem tourer I guess.

I don't buy the "not designed with tandems in mind" one bit when it comes to braking power.

That said, I think canti's, if adjusted just right, can rival or come very close to the power of a V. Also, I have overheated discs on long steep descents to the point of very little lever response no matter how hard you pull, whereas I think it'd be much harder to overheat a rim brake with it's huge aluminum rotors (rims). But I think we've hashed over this here before.

·
Hybrid Leftys aren't real
16,285 Posts
Fillet-brazed said:
whereas I think it'd be much harder to overheat a rim brake with it's huge aluminum rotors (rims).
Not quibbling at all, and we don't have descents in the East that are near long enough for me to have personal experience, but I've heard many a story of folks blowing off tires on touring bikes, due to over-heating when coming down out of the Rockies. You're saying discs would be no better in the same situation? I'd always thought they would be.

Not that any of this will impact a guy, with a kid, on a bike, having fun;)

1 - 20 of 42 Posts