Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 42 Posts

·
Registered
789 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Has anyone else noticed the complete lack of clarity on some of the posts in these forums? Bloody indecipherable!
What the hell are they teaching kids these days?

Just one of many examples:
"Okay get this ive been building booters fer a gewd three or four years now, by the way need any suggestions for construction i gottem, oh boy do i gottem. But yeah im kinda out in the gewd ol' berta boonies and havent explored. If any of you fine dewds/dewdets have some jump designs that are not in the norm i would heart you if you could hewk me up."​

·
bonkin' clyde
831 Posts
sorry to say

But its called the grammar of internet communication. Thats all I can come up with. According to the most recent SAT scores, the skools aren't teaching them as well as they could.

Sir, worry not for there are many among us enlightened enough to edit our posts for otherwise we fear our incrementally lower status on the intelligence totem pole due to our poor skills at communicating our thoughts through the proper usage of grammar. wow...I'm good at run-on sentences. I could be the Edgar Allen Poe of biking! :eek:

Errr, anyway dude, we all try to not spell toO bad. Enjoy your rides, peace. ;)

·
Registered
524 Posts
Bloody kids!

SSteel said:
Has anyone else noticed the complete lack of clarity on some of the posts in these forums? Bloody indecipherable!

"Okay get this ive been building booters fer a gewd three or four years now, by the way need any suggestions for construction i gottem, oh boy do i gottem. But yeah im kinda out in the gewd ol' berta boonies and havent explored. If any of you fine dewds/dewdets have some jump designs that are not in the norm i would heart you if you could hewk me up."​
I agree with you SS. It would appear that GOOD ENGLISH HAS WENT. :p

·
Banned
6,057 Posts
george_da_trog said:
You ever switch you speaking styles depending on the crowd you're with.
No I don't, except when it's a large group of people - then I might raise my voice a little.

george_da_trog said:
It's the Internet not a term paper.
I don't buy the "this ain't English class" bit. If a poster can't be troubled to write clearly, why should I afford any credibility to the message (non-native speakers of English excepted)?

·
Trail rider and racer
4,691 Posts
Some threads can be quite messy from a grammatical and syntactical manner, but I think people write in a very 'conversational' manner and thus do not worry to much about grammatical errors.

I generally try keep my posts readable and include correct spelling but occasionally let my standards slip. You must also remember that English is for many users of MTBR a second language and thus errors can come about that way.

·
Ride what you want!!
2,202 Posts
Drewdane said:
No I don't, except when it's a large group of people - then I might raise my voice a little.
Well, maybe it's just me, but when I was in the military. I used a lot of coarse language that I would never use around my family or in polite company. The same when I drove trucks, as soon as I was away from the setting, I turned it off. When I'm in front of the classroom teaching, I change my tone and word usage from what I would use around the campfire at a mtbr gathering.

Again, when I was in the military in Hawaii, I had a shipmate who was a local. When he was on the phone with his local buddies he'd switch tone in his voice, pick up a local accent, and start talking pidgin. Off the phone he spoke clear proper English.

It depends on the setting and situation and most people see the internet as an informal setting.

george

·
Registered
64 Posts
Has anyone listened to college and pro- atheletes? What a joke! Not many of them can speak clearly or use proper english. Everything is slang! "Dog" this and "Freak" that, these folks are the role models of our youth!

·
I already rode that
1,632 Posts
Who cares about how many grammer mistakes are made in some posts. That post you showed isnt nearly as bad as some I seen and it is readable and understandable in what the guy was asking.

Can you imagine a spelling check put in place so you cant post a message unless its all proper and such? How fast would that system be dropped from here... too fast.

·
Registered
23,381 Posts
Not to be a dick...

The irony here is delicious.

Grammar is a noun. More properly you meant to employ the adjective "grammatical" as in "What about grammatical etiquette?"

But this is a friggin internet message board.

Who gives a rip? I knew what you meant and I believe that, were this a more academic setting, you would have likely caught your own mistake. There is without question some shitty grammar, and a lot of the net "slanguage" irks me but as long as I know what a person means, the technicalities do not concern me.

·
Registered
163 Posts
bluronthetrails said:
But its called the grammar of internet communication. Thats all I can come up with. According to the most recent SAT scores, the skools aren't teaching them as well as they could.

Sir, worry not for there are many among us enlightened enough to edit our posts for otherwise we fear our incrementally lower status on the intelligence totem pole due to our poor skills at communicating our thoughts through the proper usage of grammar. wow...I'm good at run-on sentences. I could be the Edgar Allen Poe of biking! :eek:

Errr, anyway dude, we all try to not spell toO bad. Enjoy your rides, peace. ;)
actually SAT scores are higher than ever before. fyi.

·
Registered
547 Posts
when slang, abbreviation and "casual" grammar actually make posts hard, or impossible to understand, and I have to re-read and ponder every third word, that is just stupid. Where's the time-saving, relaxed bit of that formula? The www.observedtrials.net messageboard has a "kiddie corner" forum where members who have shown that their posts are difficult to understand, or who are rude and unhelpful, can go to recuperate. They aren't allowed to post in the regular forums until they have proved themselves capable of being helpful and contributory members. I sometimes think that a grammar and spelling test should be undertaken prior to approval for membership, but of course that would unfairly disadvantage those for whom English is not a first language.

I often find it ironic that the perpetrators of this grammatical travesty are most often of the nationality for which this language was named.

- Joel

·
Registered
1,019 Posts
SSteel said:

I just assumed the guy was speaking Canadian, but then I saw your avatar and now I'm perplexed :confused: :D

My general rule of thumb is that I try to ignore it, but if the post is so bad that it is hard to read (for me), then I move on. I worry too much about everything anyway, I don't need to loose sleep over some zit-faced teenagers lack of grammer (or gramatical knowledge, or whatever). I think it is great that so many different people from different educational backgrounds are into BIKES.

·
Registered
1,635 Posts
good for me, bad for them

As a wordsmith, others' lack of communication skills just makes mine more valuable.
I'd love to read some of these folks' resumes when they go out seeking gainful employment. I'm sure multiple piercings and a bunch of tattoos will help with their interviews.

·
Registered
1,201 Posts
SSteel said:

As long as he can master the phrase "Would you like fries with your order?" I don't see the problem...

·
Registered
283 Posts
jonwebah said:
SAt scores being higher is most likely due to the recent change in scoring. But that is a whole other story.

Anyway, yea its a message board. AS long as you can understand kinda what i'm saying. Who cares about capiltalization and punctuation. Just make sure its easy to read. Anyway, in regaurds all the "freak" and "dog" terminology that has come about. That my good freind is the evolution of a spoken language. Do we talk english? Hell no, people from the 1800 would scoff at the way we talk. Better yet, i bet no matter who you are... your momma thinks you use too much slang and improper wording. Thats just the way it goes. Remember when groovy and neat-o were the populat slang terms? Well i don't i'm too young, but maybe the older crowd will. How did your parents feel about u sayign that? Its just like the "kids are so bad compared to when i was young" or "you kids have everything, i got nothing as a kid" or "why my father beat me, why doesn't yours" or "they don't make (insert ANYTHING) like they used to." We have such glorious memories of our childhood b/c to us, it was great. We look at kids now and think they are just dirty, uneducated annoying little humans. PErhaps we are just much to captivated with our suit and tie lifestyle. If you understand what i'm saying, who cares how i tell you. Whether it is sloppy english or proper english or hell, old english. STep back, take a deep breath. And just chill about gammar. And if you can't understand a post, hit the back button or press backspace. They are two wonderful options.

And dragging education into this has nothign to do with the argument. I can type very formally and very clearly for things that need it. A message board, doesn't. And i'd consider myself rather well educated. Even thought i haven't finished my schooling, i think i can hang with most people in nearly any discussion, unless it is a job specific topic. So i don't type perfect on a message board, don't judge my intelligence until you sit thru High level calc and physics classes with me.

·
Registered
3,982 Posts
SSteel said:

We should all go thank these people for allowing us to have the better jobs and living conditions. Personally, every time I see a post like that, I think......"...there's another one that I won't have to compete with for a job".

I also don't respond to those posts.

·
Ride what you want!!
2,202 Posts
jonwebah said:
About 9-10 years ago they reaveraged the SAT scores and basically boosted all scores after that by about 100 points. IIRC, 95 and on, subtract 100 points from your SAT to compare scores to those before 95.

george

1 - 20 of 42 Posts