Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
621 - 640 of 1613 Posts

·
Registered
52 Posts
JRSCCivic98 said:
This brings me to the difficulty of the build. Basically I couldn't find the directions in the box (no big deal, they are on the website), but I didn't use any directions and it wasn't too difficult. I will say that if you don't work on cars or are at least mechnaically inclined you may not want to attempt it.
And your quote above describes me to a T. I wonder if I could pay someone to build it for me. Maybe I could find a bike builder on Craigslist. But...then that just might push the price up to what a Gary Fisher Wahoo would cost, or $400. I would've thought that Target has a team of mechanics that would assemble the bike for you. From the reading this thread, there are issues that pop up when assmebling a bike. I'll give Forge a call tomorrow and see what they have to say about Target assembling the bikes. I dunno, call me skeptical, but fear alone might push me towards purchasing a pre-assembled Wahoo.

On another note, I never thought I'd see the day that I'd consider buying a DSB (department store bike).

·
Registered
52 Posts
jleecong said:
From my research Target doesn't touch the bikes. It's unknown if they are stored at Forge and drop shipped (not as likely) or Forge is using Target as the warehouse and advertiser (more likely). The bike is NOT available in stores.
I just called my local Target store here in San Diego on Midway drive. I spoke to the manager. He had never even heard of Forge 'cause they don't sell them in-house. And they don't offer any type of assembly service. And I've spoken to a few independent bike dealers in my area and a few peeps at Bicycle Performance and none of them have heard of Forge, either.

·
Registered
21 Posts
Sandiman said:
I just called my local Target store here in San Diego on Midway drive. I spoke to the manager. He had never even heard of Forge 'cause they don't sell them in-house. And they don't offer any type of assembly service. And I've spoken to a few independent bike dealers in my area and a few peeps at Bicycle Performance and none of them have heard of Forge, either.
Of course they never heard of them, they don't sell them. I read this forum for a few weeks to see if there were any bad reports on this bike, and there were none, still aren't. How can you go wrong?

·
Registered
52 Posts
JRSCCivic98 said:
Basically I couldn't find the directions in the box (no big deal, they are on the website), but I didn't use any directions and it wasn't too difficult. I will say that if you don't work on cars or are at least mechnaically inclined you may not want to attempt it. It's not difficult, but you can't do it in 30 minutes unless you rush it... or you've done it before at least once.
Yesterday I read this portion of your post and it was enough to send me running to the phone to call some of the bike shops around San Diego to get a price quote on assembling a bike.

Today I went to Forge's website and took a look at their assembly instruction guide. What a difference a day makes. It looks ridiculously easy. It's just a six step process. I've done tune ups on cars, oil changes and top end jobs on 2 stroke motorcycles, so maybe I am qualified afterall.

RE: http://www.forgebikes.com/support.asp

·
Registered
24 Posts
Well, those instructions are the easy guide, the ones included with the bike are about 20 pages worth, of which less then 10 are used for the 5xx. The assembly is easy anyways. I did break off one nut because I misread the instructions to say 50 lbs of torque instead of 50 inch lbs of torque...

Anyways, I would say if worse comes to worse then you can throw everything on, and take it to a shop for a tune up, I saw signs in town for 20-30 bucks here in town.

·
Registered
52 Posts
joyu said:
Well, those instructions are the easy guide, the ones included with the bike are about 20 pages worth, of which less then 10 are used for the 5xx. The assembly is easy anyways. I did brake off one nut because I misread the instructions to say 50 lbs of torque instead of 50 inch lbs of torque...

Anyways, I would say if worse comes to worse then you can throw everything on, and take it to a shop for a tune up, I saw signs in town for 20-30 bucks here in town.
I spoke with Forge today, and they confirmed that their hardcopy assembly guide is much more detailed. Forge should put a video on YouTube that addresses some of the assembly issues in this thread and other handy assembly tips. An Idiots Guide to Assembling a 5xx on YouTube. From a business standpoint it'd go a long way in helping promote their product and sell more units. From a customer service relations standpoint it makes perfect sense when you consider that everyone is dialed into YouTube. From a practical standpoint posting a video on YouTube is free, so why not?

Their bikes are selling like hotcakes. They're backordered on the large size 5xx and won't have any in until mid-September. I don't know if I can wait that long. I might have to buy a Trek 4300 or something comparable. They told me that when it comes to any other bike that's in stock, you can expect it to show up at your doorstep in 2 to 3 days. U.P.S. is their courier of choice. $25 shipping to San Diego, I believe.

·
Registered
18 Posts
it's $29 to Eugene. yeah, I've been waiting for almost 2 weeks now for my bike to ship. I'm getting antsy, but hey, I'm patient. I would just buy a bike and then return it when my bike gets here, but.... I don't wanna have to explain it.

>sigh< Im prolly gonna get it when school starts, with my luck.

~Evo

·
Registered
11 Posts
Odd question to ask, but I noticed that the blue and silver bikes have different geometry. Has anyone on here ridden both and compared them?
Edit: I'm just realizing that all of the blue bikes are 19" and all the silvers are 17."

·
Registered
18 Posts
somewhere in here, someone said that forge and Giant bikes have interchangeable parts... now I'm not sure if that actually means it's a giant frame or what, but yes, I agree: they look like the same bikes with different names.

·
Registered
120 Posts
burritosandbeer said:
I was looking for geometry information on the forge, when I got the idea to look at the various sites for Giant, to look for the frame itself.

Ran across this on giants japan site. Looks AWFULLY close to me

http://www.giant.co.jp/2007/mtb/large/rock-5500.html

Thoughts?
one obvious (though superficial) difference is that the cables run on the bottom of the top tube on the giant and on the top on the forge. i also wish their photo wasn't so photoshopped so you can see the details in places like the welds. the top of the downtube of the forge has a pronounced square part but in the giant photo you can't tell because the picture is so flat. you can see what i mean in this photo
http://www.mazdas247.com/forum/attachment.php?attachmentid=115507

·
Registered
126 Posts
Evocati said:
somewhere in here, someone said that forge and Giant bikes have interchangeable parts... now I'm not sure if that actually means it's a giant frame or what, but yes, I agree: they look like the same bikes with different names.
the deraileur hanger is the same as a Giant XTC...... not many more 'parts' than that to compare to.

·
Registered
72 Posts
sorry to go off the current topic, but i have a question about swapping out the 80mm fork with a 100mm fork . Would this be ok with the 5xx 17 or would it have any negative affects on the bikes geometry?

621 - 640 of 1613 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.