Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I am getting into mountain biking and currently share the Schwinn Wally world bike I bought with my son as his bike was stolen. I have read good things about the Forge Sawback and was wondering 17" or 19" I am 5'8" 200# plan to ride singletrack, ATV trails, road, etc. Will this be a good bike for me??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
I'm in the same boat. I can't see the long sawback thread when I'm logged in so I'll ask the question here:

I'm 5'9" 170#, inseam 33" (up to the hilt) and plan to ride the same kind of terrain as noobie: trails, single track, road. I've ridden a medium (18") Giant Revel 2 and it felt just right but I'm right on the edge between the 17 and 19.

Is it better to be at the top of the 17" size scale or at the bottom of the 19?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,310 Posts
Don't think you can get a better bike for your money, unless you run across a recent model used bike - especially if you wait for a free shipping or find a 10% off coupon code.

I would go with a 17" unless you have an extremely long torso and short legs. I'm 1 1/2" taller and ride a 19", but had to get a shorter stem. I believe the effective top tube on the 17" is around 22 1/2". If you measure your current bike, it might give you a good idea of the fit.

Added: The eff. top tube on the 19" is about 23 1/4"

top tube (effective): It's measured horizantally from the center of the seatpost to the center of the head tube.

 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Thanks for the reply. I wondered if the stem length might make it tough because I have a stalky torso and not the longest arms (all my suit jackets are shorts). Unfortunately, I don't own a bike yet to compare anything to...

I do have AAA though, so I'll definitely be taking advantage of the discount.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
AGW said:
Thanks for the reply. I wondered if the stem length might make it tough because I have a stalky torso and not the longest arms (all my suit jackets are shorts). Unfortunately, I don't own a bike yet to compare anything to...

I do have AAA though, so I'll definitely be taking advantage of the discount.
AGW how do you go about getting a discount with AAA?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Diamond back Response

Is a Diamond Back Response with a gel seat and clip on pedals as good or better than the Sawback??
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Noobie, the Response doesn't look even half as good as the Sawback. If you (or anyone you know) has AAA, you go to AAA.com and click "Discounts">"Shopping" along the top. Find Target.com on the list and order the bike just like you normally would.

On the pay screen, there's a little checkbox that says something like "You have $38 in e-Gift/credit. Apply?" Just leave it checked and it makes the total drop to the low $400s with shipping. For me it was like $405.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
AGW said:
Noobie, the Response doesn't look even half as good as the Sawback. If you (or anyone you know) has AAA, you go to AAA.com and click "Discounts">"Shopping" along the top. Find Target.com on the list and order the bike just like you normally would.

On the pay screen, there's a little checkbox that says something like "You have $38 in e-Gift/credit. Apply?" Just leave it checked and it makes the total drop to the low $400s with shipping. For me it was like $405.
Cool I happen to have AAA but often forget about the discounts they offer:thumbsup:
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
Alright, I actually ordered the 19 tonight because I figured I would be at the top of the seat adjustment on the 17. I'd rather have a little extra room I don't need than not enough. Hope I'm right...
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
noobie39 said:
Let me know how it fits once you get it and what you think of the bike
Got it friday, rode it today finally. I mismeasured myself; I'm actually 5'8" 31", and all I can say is that the 19" feels like a perfect fit and I can't imagine sending it back for the 17". The saddle is also surprisingly comfortable.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
77 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
AGW said:
Got it friday, rode it today finally. I mismeasured myself; I'm actually 5'8" 31", and all I can say is that the 19" feels like a perfect fit and I can't imagine sending it back for the 17". The saddle is also surprisingly comfortable.
That's great! If you were an inch shorter with say a 29" inseam how would you feel about the 19?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
11 Posts
The standover height doesn't feel crowded for the boys at all, so it would depend entirely on my arms and torso. If those are your measurements, the 17" probably has more room to grow than the 19" has room to shrink (which works out for me).
 
1 - 13 of 13 Posts
Top