Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
MTB Withdrawal
89 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I searched hard, and I don't know if anybody has shared this yet, but I noticed something today. We all know that Iron Horse is owned by World Wide Cycle Supply (or something to that point), which makes OEM frames and such for many other companies. I was taking a look at the Forge 5xx on the Forge site, and it looked awfully familiar.

Both run:

Deore RD and shifters, Warrior has Deore FD, Forge: Alivio (one step down, but it's an FD!)

IsoFlow Cranks, heavy Wellgo pedals (believe me, my Mallet Ms are lighter by 60 grams)

Hayes MX2 Discs, but from photos of actual 5xx's, the Forge has V-Cut rotors(!?!), wheras the Comp has smooth (my LBS had 2 Warriors once)

WTB Pure V on the Forge is better than the Speed V on the Warrior, IMO

Both run SpeedDisc wheelsets

Ok, so the Warrior runs Motoraptors and the Forge runs Mythos XCs. But my "Warrior Team SE" (actually a Maverick frame) came with Mythos XCs, but is running a WTB Velociraptor now in the rear and a Kenda Kinetics 2.35 in the front anyways. Tires come and go.

The Warrior's Axel Comp is 100mm, the Forge's is 80mm. Oh well. The RockShox Judy J1 (and now the Dart 1) came in 100/80mm travels too.

And, I'm pretty sure they have the same frame. Examine the rear dropout area, and the construction around the headtube and the downtube.

If I got a Forge, I'd replace the cockpit with my current cockpit anyways.

Only difference, one is what, $280ish for the Forge wheras my LBS wanted $500-something for the Warrior?

Warrior Comp is about entry level hardtail weight, I'm guessing in the 30-pound range, but leaning towards lighter. Presumably, with the similarity in components and frame, the Forge should be decently light for someone that's never ridden a sub-30 pound MTB. (My current is 33-34 pounds because of REALLY heavy wheels)

Here's to hoping either me or my brother total a bike sometime so I can pick up a Forge 5xx! (Although, all things considered, I'm saving my money towards a MKIII Comp or whichever model has the Shimano components by the time I have enough)

Attachments

·
Freshly Fujified
8,199 Posts
Similar frames

I did some research and found that the Forge frames are made by Giant. It could be that both Forge and IH go to Giant for the manufacture of their frames. This does not necessarily make the frames identical. The design and geometry may be the same, but the grade of the alloy used in the tubing, as well as other aspects of manufacture (e.g. quality of the welds, etc) will probably be different.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
TehSuck said:
I searched hard, and I don't know if anybody has shared this yet, but I noticed something today. We all know that Iron Horse is owned by World Wide Cycle Supply (or something to that point), which makes OEM frames and such for many other companies. I was taking a look at the Forge 5xx on the Forge site, and it looked awfully familiar.

Both run:

Deore RD and shifters, Warrior has Deore FD, Forge: Alivio (one step down, but it's an FD!)

IsoFlow Cranks, heavy Wellgo pedals (believe me, my Mallet Ms are lighter by 60 grams)

Hayes MX2 Discs, but from photos of actual 5xx's, the Forge has V-Cut rotors(!?!), wheras the Comp has smooth (my LBS had 2 Warriors once)

WTB Pure V on the Forge is better than the Speed V on the Warrior, IMO

Both run SpeedDisc wheelsets

Ok, so the Warrior runs Motoraptors and the Forge runs Mythos XCs. But my "Warrior Team SE" (actually a Maverick frame) came with Mythos XCs, but is running a WTB Velociraptor now in the rear and a Kenda Kinetics 2.35 in the front anyways. Tires come and go.

The Warrior's Axel Comp is 100mm, the Forge's is 80mm. Oh well. The RockShox Judy J1 (and now the Dart 1) came in 100/80mm travels too.

And, I'm pretty sure they have the same frame. Examine the rear dropout area, and the construction around the headtube and the downtube.

If I got a Forge, I'd replace the cockpit with my current cockpit anyways.

Only difference, one is what, $280ish for the Forge wheras my LBS wanted $500-something for the Warrior?

Warrior Comp is about entry level hardtail weight, I'm guessing in the 30-pound range, but leaning towards lighter. Presumably, with the similarity in components and frame, the Forge should be decently light for someone that's never ridden a sub-30 pound MTB. (My current is 33-34 pounds because of REALLY heavy wheels)

Here's to hoping either me or my brother total a bike sometime so I can pick up a Forge 5xx! (Although, all things considered, I'm saving my money towards a MKIII Comp or whichever model has the Shimano components by the time I have enough)
One major difference: The Forge is available in only one (unstated) size. It may fit you, it probably will not. The IH comes in 5 sizes. The additional sizes increases the cost.

One other possible difference: The tubing used. It may be a different alloy (unlikely) and/or have different wall thickness (much more likely). Thinner and/or butted tubing reduces weight, improves ride feel and costs more to produce.

Otherwise it may or may not be the same frame design.

·
Registered
1,857 Posts
shiggy said:
One major difference: The Forge is available in only one (unstated) size. It may fit you, it probably will not. The IH comes in 5 sizes. The additional sizes increases the cost.

One other possible difference: The tubing used. It may be a different alloy (unlikely) and/or have different wall thickness (much more likely). Thinner and/or butted tubing reduces weight, improves ride feel and costs more to produce.

Otherwise it may or may not be the same frame design.
The forge comes in two sizes to fit the majority of the population.
17 inch and 19 inch, which allows them to reach the average market since most are within the 5'6' - 6'1 range.

·
Premium Member
48,238 Posts
taikuodo said:
The forge comes in two sizes to fit the majority of the population.
17 inch and 19 inch, which allows them to reach the average market since most are within the 5'6' - 6'1 range.
Not according to the Target site, which is where the Forge site sends you to buy the bike. No mention at all of size or fit.

I did find the two offered sizes buried on the Forge site.

The limited sizes and no color choice (different color=different size) still keeps the costs down vs the IH.

·
Registered
339 Posts
Forge

Forge all the way man. Forge CS is awesome (talk to mike) vs IH who imho couldnt give abt the rider. And the price difference? Buy the forge and buy yourcelf a nice form with the leftovers. When I called they even offered to pay for a LBS to tune up my bike. Forge CS takes the cake.

1 - 11 of 11 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.