Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 15 of 15 Posts

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Going to do some riding in Auburn this weekend. Looking at the map which is the preferred direction to go on the FHDL? Clockwise? Or Counter? We are going to park at the bottom and climb up clementine Trail

thanks

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
My personal preference is counterclockwise on FDL. You can do a triple "8" loop if you're not afraid of Ranch and Squaw. It's not an overly tough ride but you get your climbing in! I also recommend starting at the "top" (East) side of the loop. You get DH FLD into Culvert to Confluence, climb out via Clementine then do Stonewall to Ranch then Squaw back into the south-side FDL. The good part of this is you get all the good stuff on fresh legs and save the grind through Ranch and Squaw to get back to your truck for motivation!

Yellow Brown Green Text Red

·
Registered
5,264 Posts
Especially on a weekend, CCW is the best bet. Clockwise is fun, but you'll probably have a decent amount of riders going the other way, and it'll get annoying fast.

What kinda bike are you on, I'll wave if I see ya!

·
Registered
337 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Especially on a weekend, CCW is the best bet. Clockwise is fun, but you'll probably have a decent amount of riders going the other way, and it'll get annoying fast.

What kinda bike are you on, I'll wave if I see ya!
Will be on a new grey Bronson and my girlfriend on a purple 5010. Not sure of our start time yet cause she likes to sleep. Lol

·
Registered
2,628 Posts
Heads up! There is a race there this Sunday.

The Great Auburn Epic Race | TBF Racing
Oh man, I would 100% avoid FDL this weekend. In fact, they may actual prohibit you, or attempt to prohibit you depending on how aggro you want to be, from even getting on the trails.

As another good "similar" option, maybe even better than FDL, that is very close by is Hidden Falls:

https://www.trailforks.com/region/hidden-falls-regional-park/

A couple of things to note:

- You MUST reserve a parking spot online (https://secure.rec1.com/CA/placer-ca/catalog) BEFORE you go or they will turn you around. The good piece of this is it means that it keeps the crowding down on the trails.

- The "OuterLoop" which is a mix of the Green and Blues is fast flowy and super fun! Great for those who are trying to advance their skills to solid blue level and easy enough for beginners. It is also fun for more experienced peeps as lots of little things to hit and bump off of as you go. Just remember you have to climb out at the end, but its not that bad.

I would highly recommend this loop below as a FDL substitute:

https://www.trailforks.com/ridelog/view/4820291/

·
mtb'er
4,291 Posts
Race starts at 7:30am. All trails will likely be clear by Noon, with Culvert & Confluence being the last. Sounds like not many people are racing... so there should be lots of beer at the finish for non-racing beer poachers!

1 - 15 of 15 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.