Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 163 Posts

·
Registered
347 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
https://cara.ecosystem-management.o...ZRm1wQaZcKgGW0EU4snrImRCHPRpZbLQ_wmnRcblcgFjI

Send in your comments by 10/26

3. Specific Criterion for Trails. In addition to the general and specific criteria in FSM 7715.5, paragraphs 1 and 2, consider and document existing Trail Management Objectives (TMOs) before making designations of motor vehicle use under Subpart B or OSV use under Subpart C that would add vehicle classes on NFS trails. 4. Specific Criteria and Guidance for Designating E-Bike Use on Trails. In addition to the general and specific criteria in FSM 7715.5, paragraphs 1 through 3, when designating trails for e-bike use (FSM 7705), consider and document the following: a. Whether and the extent to which the trails are managed for bicycle use or bicycle use is allowed (FSM 7705) under the applicable TMOs. b. For trails that are managed for bicycle use or where bicycle use is allowed, the extent to which effects from e-bike use are comparable to effects from existing bicycle use, accounting for, as appropriate, differences in speed; potential effects from increased or concentrated use; and any site-specific considerations. c. Whether a programmatic environmental analysis may be feasible and more efficient due to similarities in effects of bicycle use and e-bike use. Consider designating a class or classes of e-bike use, as appropriate, on NFS trails managed for bicycle use or where bicycle use is allowed, where effects from e-bike use would be comparable to effects from bicycle use. E-bikes are not allowed on a National Scenic Trail unless a regulatory exception authorized by the National Trails System Act is met or there is an exception in the enabling legislation for the trail.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Wish more people would comment on this. It's really important to voice a desire to ride class 1's in USFS trails.

·
Registered
887 Posts
Done! I took the time to read some of the responses. It's actually quite fascinating. On balance, those who are favorable to eBikes on these trails took the time to state a reason and provide some justification. Those who are opposed generally just said "they shouldn't be allowed". Idiots. I hope we prevail.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you for your concern and for bringing this to our attention. The comment you see in Dave's name was not made by Dave and does not represent IMBA. It is fraudulent. We have contacted the Forest Service to have the comment removed.

IMBA supports trail access for Class 1 eMTBs and supports shared use on trails as long as access is not lost or impeded for traditional mountain bikes. IMBA recommends separate management and advocates for all local stakeholders to be involved in those management decisions. You can read our full position here: https://www.imba.com/education/emtb

·
Registered
9,234 Posts
The few morons I have run across on Es are new MTBers, it seems, Those who have been mountain biking for a while are great ambassadors of e-bikes. I'll sign.

·
IPA tester
1,332 Posts
Done. Some of those comments are gold.
^^^That is an understatement. Totally clueless folks just spewing hateful talking points and void of any knowledge of what an eBike is.

Thank you for the link. DONE

·
membership renounced
1,447 Posts
IMBA (International Mountain Biking Association) Executive Director Opposes EMTB's In USFS

I have asked for a refund of my membership. I suggest you do the same.

Date submitted (Eastern Standard Time): 9/26/2020 9:36:44 AM First name: David Last name: Weins Organization: IMBA Title: Executive Director Comments: I formally appose all additions to eBikes being allowed on Non-motorized trails. There is no way to control the advancements in technology in regards to increased speeds and dangerous interactions on trails that currently do not allow motorized bicycles.

https://cara.ecosystem-management.o...ntFile?dmdId=FSPLT3_5358456&project=ORMS-2619
What are the odds that's legit?

If it is, it's yet another reason IMBA hasn't seen any money from me, and won't going forward.

·
Registered
18 Posts
Thank you for your concern and for bringing this to our attention. The comment you see in Dave's name was not made by Dave and does not represent IMBA. It is fraudulent. We have contacted the Forest Service to have the comment removed.

IMBA supports trail access for Class 1 eMTBs and supports shared use on trails as long as access is not lost or impeded for traditional mountain bikes. IMBA recommends separate management and advocates for all local stakeholders to be involved in those management decisions. You can read our full position here: https://www.imba.com/education/emtb

Apparently it WAS NOT LEGIT.

I'll make a donation and sincere apologies.

·
membership renounced
1,447 Posts

Apparently it WAS NOT LEGIT.

I'll make a donation and sincere apologies.
After the way they stabbed the STC in the back, they'll never see another dime from me, unless maybe they reverse course on that issue, and there's a major change in their leadership and board of directors.

·
Registered
23 Posts
Done,
wow, some of those comments... I didn't know that E-Bikes emit Noxious fumes and tear up the wilderness?? LOL

·
Registered
11 Posts
Wow! That was fast!!! I thought it was going to take months or years for a decision.

Wait, that's National Parks, not Forest Service.

·
Registered
211 Posts
e-bikes will be allowed where traditional bikes are allowed, which is almost nowhere except paved roads in the National Park System.

Nope. You got the wrong survey here. The national park report to the interior secretary and this is already a given that you can ride pretty much anywhere pending final review. The national forest report to the usda and the comments are currently open to give ebike access to all trails allowed for bikes.

·
membership renounced
1,447 Posts
Nope. You got the wrong survey here. The national park report to the interior secretary and this is already a given that you can ride pretty much anywhere pending final review. The national forest report to the usda and the comments are currently open to give ebike access to all trails allowed for bikes.
I was referencing the article linked a few posts above, about ebike access in National Parks. Notice the quote?

1 - 20 of 163 Posts