Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Went for a nice mellow hike tonight at a portion of Wildwood I haven't been on yet (trying to check off every single mile of it one by one). Anyway, parked at the small gravel lot off Springville Rd. and headed down FL 7 for a short loop with the WW & Hardesty Trail - is FL 7 or 7A open to bikes? My map set of "Hiking and Running Guide to Forest Park" does not list these as a trails open to bikes. There is no sign either at the top or bottom of this connector trail to Leif Erikson stating the usage. However, it does look like a sign was removed from a signpost at the top side. I did see 4 bikers while I was hiking that were ripping FL 7 up and the trail had signs of many bike treads (not that that makes it okay at all). This is a nice, hard-packed & wide trail very similar to FL 1 & FL 3. The very bottom 100 ft. near Leif are very steep and rutted - it was difficult just to walk down. With the WW and Springville Rd. right there, it would seen that not many hikers use FL 7 in general. Any experience with this section?

I like training at FP during the week and I'm just looking for a new longer ride combo to put together.

T-Rex

·
The Dude Abides
305 Posts
I'm not sure it's open to bikes, but I'll admit that I've ridden it once or twice. I guess you could take the "nothing says it's not open to bikes, so it must be fair game" approach, but that's you call.

The upper portion is fun, but I don't think the lower portion is so worth it. For me the super deep ruts + pretty steep grade + super tight turns/trees = riding my brakes while practicaly sitting on my back tire going rather slow. I'd much rather ride a downhill where I can get some speed and flow down the trail. Maybe I need to relax a bit and let the bike do more work.

Man, I wish the city would open more of the park to biking. After hiking back there and seeing how many miles of trails there are. Opening just one or two trails to bikes would be awesome. After all, isn't Oregon trying to become the #1 state in the nation for biking? Or does that initiative only aply to road biking?

·
Registered
218 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks.

You hit upon my next question . . . . more available biking in FP. I would have to say that allowing riding on the Wildwood would be a real bad idea. I hike and trail run on different sections quite often and although it would be super sweet to ride, there are just too many narrow spots and blind corners that invite trouble with joggers/hikers/dog-walkers/riders. It just wouldn't be safe.

BUT - why the heck can't an new bike-only single track trail be developed and built. I just don't see how we could be short on resources with such a bike savvy city. I'm sure this point has been raised before. The Wildwood is 30 miles long - even if a 10 mile new single track section could be built, that's a 20 mile pure single track out and back - pretty impressive. Have any other groups or individuals tried to propose anything to the city?

T-Rex

·
Expert Pushing SSer
1,503 Posts
trexnfx said:
7/7A NOTopen to bikes. (sorry for the use of bold all caps). I have made the mistake of riding it too. I have since stopped. It is pretty wide open at the top, and gets twistier towards the bottom before Leif Erikson.

trexnfx said:
You hit upon my next question . . . . more available biking in FP. I would have to say that allowing riding on the Wildwood would be a real bad idea. I hike and trail run on different sections quite often and although it would be super sweet to ride, there are just too many narrow spots and blind corners that invite trouble with joggers/hikers/dog-walkers/riders. It just wouldn't be safe.

BUT - why the heck can't an new bike-only single track trail be developed and built. I just don't see how we could be short on resources with such a bike savvy city. I'm sure this point has been raised before. The Wildwood is 30 miles long - even if a 10 mile new single track section could be built, that's a 20 mile pure single track out and back - pretty impressive. Have any other groups or individuals tried to propose anything to the city?

T-Rex
Agreed, another vote that says all it takes is one incident where there is cyclist vs. hiker/runner/ped and the available, albeit meager, riding would be shutoff.

A note on your second point, PUMP might have more resources as to why there is not more single track available, or it has not been built. Obvious issues come to mind, land use, owners, erosion, traffic (although it is high already).......on and on.

In the end, it would be nice to have some single track through there to make it that much more of a destination post work day.

EDIT: here is a good link of FP

·
Tenya Laybacker
109 Posts
I was out on my cross bike yesterday evening and noticed some new looking trails dropping off the downhill side of Leif between Salzmann and Springville. It was too close to sunset for me to investigate further, but I suspect people are building their own single track out there. Personally I don't see why they won't allow one way loops to be built off of Leif without intersecting any hiking trails. A little like Scappoose. We need more legal single track close to town.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
I like all of 7 and 7a ... guess i am a freak.That rutted area is not much of a challenge if you keep your speed up.I completely disagree with all statements regarding firelane W.The lack of real mountain biking in forest park is why I do not ride there anymore.Funny thought... did anyone know that there are no off -leash ares in forest park...how come hikers do not go nazi on dog owners?Ride W it is good... best ss trail ever.Sorry in advance to all those who are not in agreement.The city has not been interested in legal ss and PUMP seems to be content with flat gravel pathways filled with runners on the wrong side of the road.We need ss that does not require a one hour drive.

·
Registered
219 Posts
Pissing people off isnt a good way to bring about change...I wouldn't advocate people illegally ride hiker only trails in forest park to get more single track. I think a lot of non-bike people in forest park are weary enough of bikes as it is, just this past weekend some old bag told me to slow down on lief erikson, eventhough she was breaking the law by allowing her dog off leash, but thats another story. It would be nice to see them crack down on off leash dogs, I've been bitten twice and chased numerous times, anyone else?

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
People are already pissed off.There will never be a legal trail system in forest park.This is not due to any illegal trail riding.The city is not interested and the hiking nazis are active as well as entrenched.I am sorry that amtbr has been bitten twice... I sure hope that you bit both of them in return.ENFORCEMENT is a joke.I do not know where you live.I live in inner s.e. Portland and the 20 mph school zone is never enforced.When I contacted the local police they referred me to the office of transportation.The transportation guy was friendly as well as useless.So what is my point?I have never driven to forest park and I will continue to drive every weekend to ride my mtb.So let the nazis drive to there wilderness experience and I will continue to unfortunately do the same.ENJOY THE GRAVEL! P.S. I started riding in the park 20 years ago...it was empty and fun.

·
Registered
219 Posts
I agree with you sometimes poppa, but I try not to let it bug me because it ruins my riding experience. I agree with you about the hypocrisy of people driving to forest park, I have never driven. Its not that difficult to run, walk, ride a bike, or take the bus to forest park, but hundreds have to drive every day to 'escape'. I find it pretty pathetic to see mountain bikers driving to the trailhead. Oh well, forest park could be so much more but I still appreciate it as a good training ground and a place to sort of escape city life.

·
Registered
95 Posts
"I started riding in the park 20 years ago...it was empty and fun."

And legal! :thumbsup:

Years ago we approached the Parks folk with the idea of "adopting" the Maple trail (remote access, good drainage...) Can't recall the exact phrase, but "never gonna happen" was the impression I got. (IOW, believe me pops, PUMP got *everything* it was possible to get.)

Enjoy Newton!

·
Daniel the Dog
6,764 Posts
It morphs

Jam esp said:
"I started riding in the park 20 years ago...it was empty and fun."

And legal! :thumbsup:

Years ago we approached the Parks folk with the idea of "adopting" the Maple trail (remote access, good drainage...) Can't recall the exact phrase, but "never gonna happen" was the impression I got. (IOW, believe me pops, PUMP got *everything* it was possible to get.)

Enjoy Newton!
It goes from Wildwood Trail to Trail W after it gets pitch black. I hear anyway :)

Jaybo

·
Registered
95 Posts
At one time the Maple trail was the Wildwood trail. It ended just before that first big switchback just North of Saltzman.

Watch out for sleeping homeless campers!
They can get real grumpy when you wake 'em up.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
Night time is the right time for makin' .... oh, wrong subject.It is just another W that I cannot seem to respect the way that I am suppose to...oh well...guess I am goin' to HECK!On a positive note,this rain should make for some nice conditions out in the woods...let's ride before the snow arrives!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
As a relative newcomer to the area, I gotta chime in. I have been amazed and severely disappointed at the lack of ST close to town.

Its interesting to see how different states handle land management issues. In Salt Lake, in arguably the most conservative state, a great deal of land has been set aside for recreational use. Some trails are closed to bikes or dogs, but most are multi-use (closed to motorized vehicles). To resolve conflicts, some of the popular trails are closed to bikes on odd numbered days.

I've been surprised that a progressive, health-conscious city like portland hasn't done more of the same. The terrain in both oregon and washington is perfect for mtn bike trails, yet the closest ST is an hour away.

You may argue that portand has a much higher population than salt lake - but it'd be interesting to quantify the amount of use the trails get. I've always considered the trails in SLC much more crowded than those here, including Forest Park. My wife and I hike FP on the weekends in the winter quite a bit and rarely see enough people to warrant excluding bikes.

I just don't get it.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
What honestly confuses me is the restriction on any firelane that resembles ST.If the majority of board members for Friends of Forest Park were mtb oriented I think the situation would change.Unfortunately the mtb community does not have the funds to compete with other user groups.There is also the concept that mtb does not contain the meditational "value" as "other" uses.I may know this to not be true and I am sure that you,slcdawg,understand this as well.I have been called a terrorist for riding in Forest Park.I absolutely swear that I have never participated in a simple beheading,nor have I planned a complicated bombing or downing of any aircraft whatsoever.I do enjoy sunglasses though.Enjoy...ride to the Park...never drive!

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
I was really shocked when some *good* friends of mine (non-mtb) brought up the idea to ban all bikes from FP altogether. WTF??? Where does this mentality come from? Truthfully, I've never biked FP (live in vancouver and can't justify the drive to ride dirt roads), but I hate to see trails closed to mtn bikes.

·
Registered
1,289 Posts
slcdawg,I trust that you spend very little quality time with those "friends".I have most likely frequented that park before they knew that it was there.If anything should be banned from that park it should be any entrance to those who can only make it there by automobile.I know that many locals on Thurman carry a strong dislike for the impromptu parking lot at the Leif Ericson entrance.People stroll on Leif with dogs off-leash,on the wrong side of the road,and many seem to think that an I-pod is part of an enjoyable experience ...Most are not even savvy enough to walk on those amazing trails.Do not waste your time driving to ride in FP,if I tireof road riding (SKYLINE USED TO BE GREAT BEFORE ALL OF THE HORRID DEVELOPEMENT),I can stomach FP so that I can keep my fitness,and sanity, where it needs to be.I must also admit I would not have finished the Creampuff this year without it .I could ramble forever...I'm done.

·
Registered
1,196 Posts
The ironic thing is these "friends" don't even use forest park to hike or bike. It seems that mtn bikers have a bad rep in this town. :(

·
Registered
219 Posts
If I lived at the end of thurman and had to deal with the f'ing idiots that come up there everyday and especially on the weekends I'd go nuts. Last week some guy was bumping some new age sh*t while he was lacing up his jogging shoes...But anyways. Yes forest park is full of bozos, its bound to happen since its in close proximity to a major urban area. My favorite is whipping around the corner and having a jogger with headphones running straight at me on the wrong side. I've taken to riding other areas of the park and only riding back on Lief when I have to. Has anyone seen the new signs that have popped up around the wildwood trail stating that bikers cannot ride it and if anyone sees any bikers to call the police? What a crock of sh*t.

·
Tenya Laybacker
109 Posts
It makes no sense

I ride in forest Park most weekdays. It is my commute to work in Bevo. I often take 7/7a on the way home. I have never seen a hiker on 7a, often I see people walking their dogs on 7 NEVER on a leash. Slow down at the intersection with the Wildwood and all is good. I sort of feel like IF the hiking community, of which I am part, does not want bikers in forest park then they need to crack down on unleashed dogs. I have been bitten by an unleashed dog out there. Darn thing walked up and bit me on the thigh with no warning. I love dogs got one of my own.
On another note I almost never do firelane w, it would be easy to run into someone during daylight hours. I don't think it is safe or prudent. One time, I could not help myself, early Monday morning, cloudy I'm out in the north end on the W and I come upon an elderly couple hiking. I get off my bike to let them pass. We have this wonderful conversation about laws and how they are made to be broken when they do not make sense. They supported mixed use of the Wildwood. I was heartened by some hikers views. Don't ride in the mud(it wrecks the trail), use it at low use times(night) and be polite and surrender the right of way to hikers. Twenty years, never had a problem. Civil disobedience done the right way is a statement.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.