Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 104 Posts

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My thoughts goes to our fellow MTB-ers in the MTB Mecca. Looks terrible here on national TV i Norway!

·
Int'l Man of Leisure
3,268 Posts
seems like half of New Mexico is on fire this year too...

We're all dreading the forest closures that are sure to happen soon.

·
Registered
178 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Any historic MTB trails beeing whiped out, NORBA and WC etc trails?

·
Registered
1,885 Posts
Yup, had planned Ruidoso area as the first stop on the way to indulge our mtn bike bike riding passion in the Southwest but likely we will use a different route. These fires are huge and terrifying and not contained. Sad, indeed. Condolences to all affected.

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
The High Park Fire near Fort Collins is a nasty fire. It grew extremely quickly to around 40,000 acres in the two days since it was reported destroying 100 structures and killing at least one person. It has reportedly jumped over a river and at least one highway. Many trails, if not most of the trails west of Fort Collins have been burned out. Depending on the wind smoke is very thick at times in Denver.

There is very little chance of rain in the forecast and it may heat up with low humidity in the coming days. Evacuations continue. Reports indicate the fire is currently 5% contained. Chances are this fire won't be entirely extinguished until fall when snow fall occurs. Containment is the goal. Unfortunately there is a lot of available fuel for this fire to burn in the surrounding area.

The folks fortunate enough to live in the Front Range foot hills do so because they love the outdoors just like you and I. It is true that they assumed a certain level of risk by living in the forest. However, they deserve our thoughts as do our riding brethren whose trails have been impacted.

Here are some photos of the aerial assault on this fire from the Front Range Forum taken by inkpad, fcrider, and onbelaydave. As you can imagine, flying air craft so low, in close proximity to other air craft, and into a low visibility area with the unpredictable things foot hills can do to wind is extremely dangerous. Wild fire fighters and pilots deserve our utmost respect and gratitude. I love Colorado and its pains me to see it burning as much as I know a certain amount of fire is natural. However, this is not a desolate area where a fire can be left to run its course without intervention.

Attachments

·
Registered
584 Posts
unusually dry for this time of year, I was watching the news and they are saying the dryness of southern california is a month earlier then usual. My hearts and prayers go out to the people who lost or are in the path of fires.

·
Registered
59 Posts
In the summer of 1998 when I was living back in British Columbia, Canada we had a forest fire(caused by lightening). It was one of the most scariest things I have ever lived though. 7000 People in the city alone had to be evacuated(me included). There were some 40 places burned to the ground and there was no lives lost. It's never good waiting when you're going to have to leave your home and everything behind while being under evacuation warning. Once you're under evacuation alert we had 5 minutes to get our stuff and leave. The only things you're taking with you are the things you could fit in your vehicle. We had evacuated to a town that was an hour or so away(we had family there). We were gone for a few weeks because we weren't allowed to return home(heat, wind, no rain). The only times we got any information is by watching the news, it seemed like there was no end in sight. Seeing the town with no one in it except police, fire etc wasn't a good feeling. In the end no lives were lost. Even to this day when I go home you can tell where the fires trail was tracked. Still a lot of tress are burnt etc. There was a lot of trees that have grown back and covered the carnage in which the fire had caused.

So for any one of you are in around the area of where those fires are, please volunteer. Get out there and send your donations. For anyone that heard of the Slave Lake fire in Alberta, it was a lot of the volunteers who did a lot of work as well, but it wasn't really noticed. So me being through a forest fire, from one mountain biker to another. Do whatever you can to help, I'm sure that people would surly appreciate it.

Attachments

·
Registered
2,019 Posts
The High Park fire near Fort Collins is a very serious fire. It has burned approximately 50,000 acres. It is the third largest fire in Colorado history in terms of acreage burned. It has destroyed 181 houses making it the most destructive fire in Colorado history in terms of homes lost. Close to 1,600 fire fighters are fighting this fire. Hundreds of engines are in the fight. Sixteen helicopters are at work along with multiple tankers. The area is experiencing winds as high as 40 mph today along with heat and low humidity. No rain in sight. The fire continues to move north west and south west. Fire fighters have deployed feller bunchers to cut a perimeter though the timber. They are also using a river and a road to form a perimeter, though part of the fire jumped the river. One civilian has been killed.

Still progress has been made. The fire was 45% contained as of last night. The perimeter near the city of Fort Collins is holding and fire fighters expect to hold their gains despite the winds. More than 500 homes have been saved.

For those of you who think this thread doesn't belong here, I beg to differ. Its not that we like fire. Its that this is an emotional time.

Attachments

·
Int'l Man of Leisure
3,268 Posts
So far this year, fires in New Mexico have burned nearly 400,000 acres and we've lost 254 homes.

And the fire season is about half way thru.

:(

·
Registered
4,065 Posts
Lots of current information about the fire here - http://forums.mtbr.com/colorado-front-range/high-park-fire-794185-3.html. Not a good scene at all.
THE fire, huh? That's a pretty myopic view. There are 8 active fires listed in Colorado right now. Of those 8, some are contained.

High Park is, no doubt, a major fire (the most destructive in CO history, in terms of $$; but not the largest), but the Waldo Canyon Fire, for example, is closer to the "Urban Interface", despite it being smaller and (if you can believe the news), the number one priority fire in the country right now. There are two large fires down in the San Juan area, too, with other smaller ones and, sadly, others popping up daily, it seems.

Here's the whole list of CO fires: InciWeb the Incident Information System: Colorado Incidents

1 - 20 of 104 Posts