Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
MTB guide
47 Posts
I have been using the old Hans Dampf 2.35" for ages and it's been a very good all round tire. Now the new version has even better side knobs, so it should be an improvement of the tire. Too bad they don't make a 2.35" version of the ADDIX Speedgrip rubber compound. So I will probably try the new Hans Dampf 2 in 2.6" version next year. Right now I got a pair of Kenda Hellkat 2.4" Pro ATC front and Kenda Nevegal 2 Pro ATC rear. These Kenda tires have more grip and rebound than HD, but rolling resistance is a little higher. That's why I'll try the new 2.6" HD2 Speedgrip next year. About the Forekaster, I've only read reviews and compared the thread pattern with HD - I don't think it can match HD in wet conditions. Otherwise, it might be good, fast rolling.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
I have no experience with the tires, however I feel there was just a discussion on this. Maybe check some of the older threads.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

No luck on finding that thread...

I have narrowed down theses two tires for my trail bike, in the 2.35. Now I just need to find the wheels.

Looks like I might need a 30mm rim for the HD according to Schwalbe recommendations.

·
Registered
1,729 Posts
I have no experience with the tires, however I feel there was just a discussion on this. Maybe check some of the older threads.

Sent from my SM-G930U using Tapatalk[/QUOTE

No luck on finding that thread...

I have narrowed down theses two tires for my trail bike, in the 2.35. Now I just need to find the wheels.

Looks like I might need a 30mm rim for the HD according to Schwalbe recommendations.
I've read that the 2.35 Forekaster runs small, and the widest rim you'd want to run is ~27mm

Here's a couple of search strings for your
site:forums.mtbr.com forekaster rim
site:forums.mtbr.com forekaster hans

From what I've read, the HD is a better all-rounder, and I've used the original on pure hard-pack, where as the Forekaster tends towards wetter or looser terrain...and I wouldn't want it for pure hard-pack.

·
Demon Cleaner
784 Posts
I haven’t used the HD 2 but I have run the older ones. I also currently run a Forecaster 2.6 on the front of my Yeti 4.5c. I like it a lot. I think the HD is a little more tire: bigger and deeper mobs, thicker casing.

I used to tear the side nobs of the older HDs way too fast so gave up on them. The Forecaster side nobs are going good after several months of riding.

My wheels at 30 id

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
6,170 Posts
I've used the older version of the Hans and Forekaster both in 2.35.

Grip - Hans, especially in loose
Rolling resistance - Forekaster hands down
Tread - both have been on the front, but I think Hans will easily win this since the forekaster is designed as a wet conditions tire and the knobs are much much bigger

These are two completely different tires for different conditions. Take a look at these in real life. If that's not an option consider traction vs speed. Both of these are the opposite end of the spectrum.

·
Registered
206 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Ok, I have bought my wheels, 27mm internal carbon the insider (weareonecomposites).

I just have to figure out the tires. I have ridden the Forekaster 29 X 2.35 before (front and rear), I really like them, but sometimes I wish for more grip up front. That's why I have been asking for a comparison with the HD2.

I am now wondering if a nobby nic rear and HD2 (2.35) would give me similar rolling resistance for rear but more grip for front that the dual Forekaster?

Or should I just go with dual HD2?

Thank you!

·
Got rocks?
944 Posts
I ran a 2.6 forekaster on the back for a couple rides before it died of sidewalk slashes. I ran a nevegal 2 for a bit and liked it the. Wanted to try 2 HD’s and like the combo for the most part. The front would wash out or slide in looser ground but still predictable. They seem to be pretty durable too. If my trails weren’t so rocky I would have tried a Nobby Nic rear but figured the HD would do better in the rocks.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Ok, I have bought my wheels, 27mm internal carbon the insider (weareonecomposites).

I just have to figure out the tires. I have ridden the Forekaster 29 X 2.35 before (front and rear), I really like them, but sometimes I wish for more grip up front. That's why I have been asking for a comparison with the HD2.

I am now wondering if a nobby nic rear and HD2 (2.35) would give me similar rolling resistance for rear but more grip for front that the dual Forekaster?

Or should I just go with dual HD2?

Thank you!
any updates? Did you end up going one way or the other? Where are you riding?

·
Registered
1,739 Posts
I have installed a HD2 (f) and a NN (R) last night on my new wheels. I will report in the next few days.
I just did the same in 2.6 on 275 35id rims. Much better than the XR4/SE4 set up I had. way faster, but clearly less grip than DHF/DHR. Still playing with pressure to get grip/bounce balanced. The NN was lacking some grip I was hoping for compared to the SE4, but I decreased some pressure and it seemed to get better. Overall, I think I like Schwalbes better than most brands after numerous tire trials. I used to use V1 HDs on my Ripley front and back and liked them a lot.

Forekaster....faster for a rear tire, but lacks braking grip which was a deal killer for me. But it actually corners pretty well and I liked this tire so much that I put it on my Ripley to replace some Vittoria Mezcals, but that was a mistake. The Mezcals are much faster.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.