Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 13 of 13 Posts

·
My gloves stink
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hi boys and girls. I'm considering trying to buy a Force frame off the web, maybe on eBay. I need help with sizing- med or large? I'm 5'11", and coming off a size large Iron Horse MkIII frame (it broke). The IH size large runs a little small and has been called a medium/large. It fit me great. On a hardtail, I find a 19" a bit large, a 17" a bit small and an 18" just right. Your thoughts on the Force fit?

Thanks in advance.

·
My gloves stink
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
Hey Norcal

norcalchico said:
I would go large. I'm 5'8 and have a large. A medium would be a better fit but the large doesn't feel to big form me. I'm planning on selling mine. I'm thinking two weeks. Going to carbon force. It's a 08 force 1.0 large.
Hey Norcal, I live in Petaluma. Are you going to sell the whole bike or just the frame? I only need the frame.

·
Registered
15 Posts
Im 6ft and swapped from a large BlurLT to a medium Sanction, it really depends on how you like your bikes, only way to really tell is get on one.

·
My gloves stink
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Yeah, I know you're right...

phunk_dup said:
Im 6ft and swapped from a large BlurLT to a medium Sanction, it really depends on how you like your bikes, only way to really tell is get on one.
Yeah, I know you're right, but there are none around here to get on. And even sitting on one in a shop can be deceiving, the only way to really be certain is a good demo ride of a few sizes, which really isn't going to happen.

One thing I haven't done yet is compare the dimensions between the Force and my broken Iron Horse. The size Force with the closest ETT to my IH would probably work. Trouble is, you can't even trust the published frame specs because they're often incorrect.

:madman:

·
Registered
33 Posts
I'm 5'6" and ride a small. My standover height is thin to none, but the reach is great. It's a data point for you. Comparing the dimensions is one of the few quantitative things you can do. Good luck.

·
My gloves stink
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Ran the numbers....

nc_pinz said:
I'm 5'6" and ride a small. My standover height is thin to none, but the reach is great. It's a data point for you. Comparing the dimensions is one of the few quantitative things you can do. Good luck.
My two current bikes that fit me well both 23.7" and 23.75" ETTs. The LARGE Force has a 23.62" ETT. That should be about right.

·
My gloves stink
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
Hey Norc

norcalchico said:
Just the frame. I'm going to go carbon.
Hey Norcal, I'm going to PM you with my phone number. I'm interested.

·
Registered
273 Posts
i would go large. i'm 6' and had a medium and had to stretch the cockpit to make it fit. the large will offer more tuning options for the stem/bar/seat to get a good fit.

·
My gloves stink
1,503 Posts
Discussion Starter · #12 ·
Good advice, thanks

superbird said:
i would go large. i'm 6' and had a medium and had to stretch the cockpit to make it fit. the large will offer more tuning options for the stem/bar/seat to get a good fit.
The most valuable feedback for this type of question is from guys like you who actually have expericence on the bike. I've decided to go large. And if I can't go large, I'll go home.

·
Registered
273 Posts
good choice, i'm MUCH happier with my large and was able to go with a shorter stem for more of an AM feel.

new sensor looks nice, anyone else notice the new hardware for the pivots? wonder if they've redone them to combat the creaking?

1 - 13 of 13 Posts