Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 6 of 6 Posts

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Can someone please tell me the difference between the two frames? The GT website just says they have 6 inches of travel and it's annoying because I want to know exactly what they have. Is it 150 or 152mm or something else? I understand the Sanction has a slacker headtube angle, but doesn't that come with just putting on a bigger fork?

·
I'm with stupid
5,920 Posts
the sanction frame is beefed up at the head tube. and has different geo then the force. It is slacker. Yes you can make a force slacker with a longer fork but if the headtube is not set up for the more leverage from the longer fork then it will be more likely to fail. thats from what i understand im trying to get the hang of all this stuff so im no pro just the way i understand it.

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
Yeah, in terms of the frame specifically, hitechredneck is correct. The sanction has two gussets reinforcing the headtube, although it appears that the force has more welding where the top tube and downtube meet at the front. And yes, the geometry is slacker on the sanction, even if given that they are both using the same fork. Note however, that the 09 and the 08 force have the same angle on the headtube, but the 09 sanction is slacker than the 08 sanction. I've done calculations, so to put it in perspective, this is what the headtube angle would be like for the following force/sanctions if they all ran a RS Pike:

08/09 force - 69
08 sanction - 68.39
09 sanction - 67.38

Other than headtube and slacker geo, they are the same. I didn't count the rear dropouts because they're interchangeable anyway.

You can spot the differences when you flick between the images.
https://www.gtbicycles.com/GTFiles/ProductImages/800_500_G9FOR1_221_3.jpg
https://www.gtbicycles.com/GTFiles/ProductImages/800_500_G9SAN_353_3.jpg

·
Registered
124 Posts
Discussion Starter #4
Thanks for the info guys. It seems that it would make more sense for the Force to be 5-5.5". Oh, well. So does the Saction frame weigh a bit more?

·
Registered
1,172 Posts
It does weigh a bit more because of the two gussets supporting the headtube, so probably a tiny bit more.

Speaking of the reinforcement at the headtube the sanction has, how much difference will it make? To put into perspective, if you built up the force frame to have sanction specs, at what point would the force be outperformed by the sanction because of it not having the two gussets?

1 - 6 of 6 Posts