Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Can someone walk me through the proper way to setup the force 40 contraption? On my 95 F700 I cannot figure this thing out.
Is there a pdf somewhere that has this? A tech manual that someone can scan?

I've searched and searched but cannot find any info on how to get it started.
Thanks

·
Tool
1,954 Posts
It's been a very long time since I had to mess with these brakes (on my '95 Super V).

IIRC, you set the cable length on the cable that is attached to the lever first, then set the length on the short cable that runs from the cam to the other cantilever, but I may have this backwards. Pad adjustment is the same as for any canti brakes.

If you're unsure how to run the cables and hook everything up, the diagram at the bottom of this page might help.

-Pete

·
Registered
21 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Thanks- I'm good on pad adjustment. I'm just confused on how the cam should be set up more or less. At what angle to tighten it down to? Where should the tab on the back of cam that holds the internal spring be set at rest?
This is definitely a ***** and might make me purchase V-brakes....but I want to avoid that.

I understand I need to use a thin spanner for setting the tension properly on the canti arm springs...which I don't have yet and might help once I get that tool.

thanks again

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.