Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

81 - 100 of 2747 Posts

·
Registered
102 Posts
@YogiKudo

Can you comment on the slow-tech behaviour of the Druid and compare it to the Knolly? I'm also interested how the Druid "wheelies" and "manuals" compared to the Knolly. One reviewer stated that the long(ish) chainstays combined with the HP design make the Druid difficult to get on the backwheel.

·
Registered
237 Posts
@YogiKudo

Can you comment on the slow-tech behaviour of the Druid and compare it to the Knolly? I'm also interested how the Druid "wheelies" and "manuals" compared to the Knolly. One reviewer stated that the long(ish) chainstays combined with the HP design make the Druid difficult to get on the backwheel.

I think the axle path may make it different to wheelie/manual. I don't do extended wheelies or manuals other than normal to me technical riding moves. Wheelie pops and manuals don't seem to be radically different to me on the obstacles I ride all the time. J

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I finally installed my tailored Ride Wrap kit today. In short, it almost cost me my sanity and my relationship. Total hatchet job. I almost cried more than once, and came close to ripping it all off my frame.

And to add insult to injury, I have a second tailored kit that I ordered for my Honzo. So yeah. More good times ahead.

As an aside, there is nothing wrong with the product. I should have known not to try this on my own. It’s my fault.

Anyway, tomorrow is the start of the Druid build. Onwards and upwards.
One good turn deserves another........

Any updates:D

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,325 Posts
One good turn deserves another........

Any updates:D
Thanks man.

It's built. Just waiting for a spindle from RaceFace which, based on past experience, could take forever.

Apart from that though, it's done.

I have not weighed it yet but I understand from my buddies (who have weighed it) that it is 29+ lbs with pedals, a 36 fork and Minions. So a decent weight for a large frame, given that there has been no gram counting involved with the build.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Thanks man.

It's built. Just waiting for a spindle from RaceFace which, based on past experience, could take forever.

Apart from that though, it's done.

I have not weighed it yet but I understand from my buddies (who have weighed it) that it is 29+ lbs with pedals, a 36 fork and Minions. So a decent weight for a large frame, given that there has been no gram counting involved with the build.
Nice. So looking forward to this build!

·
Registered
148 Posts
the classified section is down currently but if anyone is looking for a medium black frame i will shamelessly leave this here.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,325 Posts
the classified section is down currently but if anyone is looking for a medium black frame i will shamelessly leave this here.
Interesting. Care to expand as to the reason for the quick divorce?

·
Registered
148 Posts
Interesting. Care to expand as to the reason for the quick divorce?
sure. it's more bike than i need right now. i didn't realize it would be such a brawler at 130mm, it's really impressive that way. i ride a lot of slow techie stuff and i should have probably just got a ripley.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,325 Posts
sure. it's more bike than i need right now. i didn't realize it would be such a brawler at 130mm, it's really impressive that way. i ride a lot of slow techie stuff and i should have probably just got a ripley.
Interesting. Would you say that the Druid is not a fun bike in the slow techie stuff? If not, why not? Thanks.

·
Registered
148 Posts
Interesting. Would you say that the Druid is not a fun bike in the slow techie stuff? If not, why not? Thanks.
I don't think it's that, I think it didn't suit my style, but it could undoubtedly suit yours. A lot of factors in play here...where you ride, how you ride etc... I wanted a playful, poppy trail bike, and that isn't what it is for me. I'm also finding that I don't love the super steep seat tube thing, I've tried a few bikes with 77 deg seat tubes, and I found that it was forcing me to ride with my weight over the front of the bike and I don't like that. The Druid is a great bike; all the reviews are solid, I'm just not finding great for me. I had an Offering and ended up selling it, and I've been an Evil guy since the beginning. It was more playful than the Druid but not as strong of a descender IMO, damn that Druid can crush square edge. If you want one bike that does it all I'd say the Druid is pretty damn close. I wouldn't think twice about bringing it to the bike park or on some steep techy terrain, that's where it thrives. If you want a snappy sub 30lbs trail bike look elsewhere IMO.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,325 Posts
I don't think it's that, I think it didn't suit my style, but it could undoubtedly suit yours. A lot of factors in play here...where you ride, how you ride etc... I wanted a playful, poppy trail bike, and that isn't what it is for me. I'm also finding that I don't love the super steep seat tube thing, I've tried a few bikes with 77 deg seat tubes, and I found that it was forcing me to ride with my weight over the front of the bike and I don't like that. The Druid is a great bike; all the reviews are solid, I'm just not finding great for me. I had an Offering and ended up selling it, and I've been an Evil guy since the beginning. It was more playful than the Druid but not as strong of a descender IMO, damn that Druid can crush square edge. If you want one bike that does it all I'd say the Druid is pretty damn close. I wouldn't think twice about bringing it to the bike park or on some steep techy terrain, that's where it thrives. If you want a snappy sub 30lbs trail bike look elsewhere IMO.
Thanks tons for taking the time to share that. Very much appreciated.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #94
A whole lotta fun!

·
Registered
75 Posts
We need more updates lol. This bike seems to be the closest thing to the quiver killer. Trail bike that is fine on tamer single track and can punch above its weight class to ride Enduro courses, albeit slower than a full out Enduro rig.

Define slow techy stuff? Like trials hops to clear large rock faces, with lots of track stands?

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,325 Posts
We need more updates lol. This bike seems to be the closest thing to the quiver killer. Trail bike that is fine on tamer single track and can punch above its weight class to ride Enduro courses, albeit slower than a full out Enduro rig.

Define slow techy stuff? Like trials hops to clear large rock faces, with lots of track stands?
I have only had mine on pavement so far but I am happy to report that all of my concerns about low speed issues and problems pulling the front end up have been instantly erased. I have no idea what points of reference the MBR author was using but to say that this bike's front end is difficult to pull up is complete bullshit.

·
Registered
237 Posts

The bike is at it's best on slow techy trails as the rear path negates the chain tension present on other designs and doesn't get hung up on rocks/roots. In reality, this difference is pretty subtle but it's there.The slower you are going the more noticeable this is as there is less speed to overcome the chain tension. J

·
Shartacular Spectacular
441 Posts
I have only had mine on pavement so far but I am happy to report that all of my concerns about low speed issues and problems pulling the front end up have been instantly erased. I have no idea what points of reference the MBR author was using but to say that this bike's front end is difficult to pull up is complete bullshit.
Still too much snow where you’re at? Otherwise, I can’t imagine being able to resist getting it out where it belongs.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,325 Posts
Still too much snow where you’re at? Otherwise, I can’t imagine being able to resist getting it out where it belongs.
It's still very wet at altitude but mostly, I have been under siege following a recent "promotion". I will be putting it through its paces this weekend.

On pavement the bar feels a little narrow (it's uncut at 800 mm), the fork feels a little floppy (it's a 36 at the spec'ed 44 offset), the cockpit feels a little short, and the bar feels a little low. All first world problems that I will tweak if I don't get used to it all.

All that said, this is going to be the nicest bike I have ever owned. I know that already. I can very distinctly feel the benefit of the rearward axle path hitting curbs at speed.

I am a former owner of another of Owen Pemberton's creations - a 2015 Range, which also purportedly had a rearward axle path. Between the 2 bikes, there is no comparison. None. The Druid truly is going to be next level, once I get it in its element.

EDIT: I tweaked the saddle tilt and dropper height which pretty much addressed all the cockpit issues mentioned above. On to suspension fiddling now... Setting sag is not as easy as on other bikes because the shock stanchion is somewhat buried in the frame.

EDIT: There is no additional driveline drag that I detect from the idler pulley and chain guides. If there is, it is pretty much immaterial.

EDIT: Standover is awesome and for whatever reason, I can do a track stand longer on this bike than any other bike I have or have had. Track stands are effortless. I suspect a low center of gravity may be assisting in this regard.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
It's still very wet at altitude but mostly, I have been under siege following a recent "promotion". I will be putting it through its paces this weekend.

On pavement the bar feels a little narrow (it's uncut at 800 mm), the fork feels a little floppy (it's a 36 at the spec'ed 44 offset), the cockpit feels a little short, and the bar feels a little low. All first world problems that I will tweak if I don't get used to it all.

All that said, this is going to be the nicest bike I have ever owned. I know that already. I can very distinctly feel the benefit of the rearward axle path hitting curbs at speed.

I am a former owner of another of Owen Pemberton's creations - a 2015 Range, which also purportedly had a rearward axle path. Between the 2 bikes, there is no comparison. None. The Druid truly is going to be next level, once I get it in its element.

EDIT: I tweaked the saddle tilt and dropper height which pretty much addressed all the cockpit issues mentioned above. On to suspension fiddling now... Setting sag is not as easy as on other bikes because the shock stanchion is somewhat buried in the frame.

EDIT: There is no additional driveline drag that I detect from the idler pulley and chain guides. If there is, it is pretty much immaterial.

EDIT: Standover is awesome and for whatever reason, I can do a track stand longer on this bike than any other bike I have or have had. Track stands are effortless. I suspect a low center of gravity may be assisting in this regard.
So bad ass to hear this mtnbkrmike! Looking forward to hearing some trail reports once you find a way to get away from the workdesk.

Have a good one man!

81 - 100 of 2747 Posts