4,325 Posts
A few pics of the “reverse” SWAT box...

IMG_8349.jpg IMG_8351.jpg IMG_8354.jpg

Sent from my iPhone using Tapatalk

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #65
I love the storage options this frame has. These days flats are rare so having the spare tube inside the frame and undoing a couple of bolts is ok.

·
Registered
14,358 Posts
I love the storage options this frame has. These days flats are rare so having the spare tube inside the frame and undoing a couple of bolts is ok.
Yes. Usually a tubeless plug will get you back to riding without messing with a tube, but it's nice to have the tube if you are a long way from home/car and a plug won't cut it.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,325 Posts
Especially if you attach a Big S Zee cage with attached EMT mini tool, so that the “reverse” SWAT box is easily accessible riding packless (plus you still have the second set of bottle bosses under the top tube to run a WolfTooth B-Rad set up). No Dakine Hot Laps Gripper bag (or Awesome Strap) is required for this bike.

I am hoping that come judgment day, the big man above will forgive the relatively minor transgression to the dark side, to be able to have that EMT tool handy (not to mention a pretty decent side loading bottle cage).

Build update - application of the “tailored” Ride Wrap kit is in progress.

·
Registered
237 Posts
I've had my Druid for a couple of weeks now. Build Specs:

Larger Druid Frame Matte Carbon with Ride Wrap
Newmen Wheels
Next R Cranks
Sram GX Shifter/Deraileur 11sp
1195 Casette
SRAM XX1 Chain
Shimano XTR 9120 Trail Pedal
Bike Yoke Revive 185
Schwable Nobby Nic 2.3 Addix F/R
Weight 30LBS on the nose

Observations:

Rearward Axle Path is great fro slow techy climbing compared to the higher chain tension pedalling platforms ie DW link, VPP.... You can almost come to a stop and the rear end will still not get hung up on obstacles. The Horst link bikes in the open setting are also good in this regard. Just not as good.

Downhill stability of this axle path is much more stable than other platform I have owned. Therefore, speed on similar trails is much faster. Kasimer talked about this on Pinkbike.

I'm not a fan of platforms that require a rider to constantly fiddle with shock compression switches. Where I live on Vancouver Island it is mostly rolling steeper terrain and fiddling with a climb/trail switch is a PITA . You just leave it open on the Druid. Good thing, because you would have to perform an advanced circus stunt to change that shock on the fly.

The drivetrain is quieter than I expected given the unique drivetrain.

The height of the chainstay was a big plus for me. I have broken several typical chainstays due to impacts. This chainstay is way higher/out of harm's way

Building the bike was a pleasure. Dropper post is routed through the downtube and there is a nice port molded into the seattube for easy routing. The other cables flow through the top tube. Cable ports cinch the cables when tightened ie. no rattling.

I think my Knollys had better traction. The bike came with 6 clicks of LSC o.n the DPX2 so I could play with that. It might just be that my rear tire is on it's way out.

It climbs plenty well. Kasimer says not like a Ripmo but I don't like the high chain tension designs for my riding. Most other platforms would at least need the shock in the trail setting to be as efficient. I don't do Strava and the like.. not interested in knowing how slow I'm getting.

Running 190 PSI in the DPX 2. I'm 195 loaded.

I've got a Rockshox Pike @ 160 on the front/Push ACS3 Kit 46 offset. I might try 150. Still getting used to it.

That's all for now. Cheers. J

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,325 Posts

Larger Druid Frame Matte Carbon
Newmen Wheels
Next R Cranks
1195 Casette
SRAM XX1 Chain
Bike Yoke Revive 185
Weight 30LBS on the nose

Observations:

Rearward Axle Path is great fro slow techy climbing compared to the higher chain tension pedalling platforms ie DW link, VPP.... You can almost come to a stop and the rear end will still not get hung up on obstacles. The Horst link bikes in the open setting are also good in this regard. Just not as good.

Downhill stability of this axle path is much more stable than other platform I have owned. Therefore, speed on similar trails is much faster. Kasimer talked about this on Pinkbike.

I'm not a fan of platforms that require a rider to constantly fiddle with shock compression switches. Where I live on Vancouver Island it is mostly rolling steeper terrain and fiddling with a climb/trail switch is a PITA . You just leave it open on the Druid. Good thing, because you would have to perform an advanced circus stunt to change that shock on the fly.

The height of the chainstay was a big plus for me. I have broken several typical chainstays due to impacts. This chainstay is way higher/out of harm's way

Building the bike was a pleasure. Dropper post is routed through the downtube and there is a nice port molded into the seattube for easy routing. The other cables flow through the top tube. Cable ports cinch the cables when tightened ie. no rattling.

I think my Knollys had better traction. The bike came with 6 clicks of LSC o.n the DPX2 so I could play with that. It might just be that my rear tire is on it's way out.

It climbs plenty well. Kasimer says not like a Ripmo but I don't like the high chain tension designs for my riding. Most other platforms would at least need the shock in the trail setting to be as efficient. I don't do Strava and the like.. not interested in knowing how slow I'm getting.

I've got a Rockshox Pike @ 160 on the front/Push ACS3 Kit 46 offset. I might try 150. Still getting used to it.

Very interesting comments. Thanks. I hope to have mine built by the end of the weekend, assuming no snags. ACS3...nice. I have been toying with that idea myself. Does it play well with your air sprung DPX2?

Any chance of some pics?

·
Registered
237 Posts
Very interesting comments. Thanks. I hope to have mine built by the end of the weekend, assuming no snags. ACS3...nice. I have been toying with that idea myself. Does it play well with your air sprung DPX2?

Any chance of some pics?
The ACS3 is a very good product. In my case, it gave new life to older Pikes that tended to develop more or less constant air shaft issues. The coil conversion provided better performance (Traction/consistency) and reliability. It plays nice with the DPX2. Curiously, the rear end on this bike seems to outperform the front when the speed ramps up. I tried to post some pics but gave up. I might try again. J

·
Registered
59 Posts

Larger Druid Frame Matte Carbon with Ride Wrap
Newmen Wheels
Next R Cranks
1195 Casette
SRAM XX1 Chain
Bike Yoke Revive 185
Weight 30LBS on the nose

Observations:

Nice.
How tall are you? I’m on the fence at 6-1 and change and am trying to decide between the large and hopefully soon to be released xl.

·
Registered
237 Posts
Nice.
How tall are you? I’m on the fence at 6-1 and change and am trying to decide between the large and hopefully soon to be released xl.
I'm 5' 11" with a 35" inseam. I'm running a 35mm stem. I like the 76..ish seat tube angle and 18-19" reach area for my riding. Your size choice might come down to your dropper length preferences due to the seat tube length on the larger size. I've got use to my 185 and now 200 mm plus is around. Something to consider. J

·
Registered
237 Posts
A couple of things I failed to mention:

Standing climbing: If you are the type (Retired single speeder) that transitions a lot from seated to standing climbing the Druid's suspension acts like a DW link with great support without the disadvantages I mentioned earlier. This is a weakness on horst link bikes without flipping the switch.

Kudos to Forbidden: Got to give the guys credit for going the extra mile on the frame geometry. The actual seat tube angles changes with frame size as well as the chain stay length. This is a PITA for any frame designer. It is, however, necessary to give the majority of riders the same balance point on the frame. Well done!

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
This bike has me very tempted. I'm sure the 130mm rear is great in the chunky gnar but I'm still wondering how it would cope with big drops and jumps. I'm on a very progressive 150mm rear now and I feel like the high single pivot would work better for 90% of the stuff I ride but the big bucks have me concerned. I was considering a Supreme SX or Scott Ransom but I'd be overbiked most of the time and I need a water bottle so the Supreme is out.

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
I was in the same boat. I have a short travel trailbike that'll do 90% of the stuff I ride but want something more for the parks. Druid and commencal's success in DH convinced me to build a high pivot supreme sx. If it only came down to one bike, druid all the way.

Hoping forbidden will also produce a 150-160mm bike in the future.

·
Registered
1,276 Posts
I was in the same boat. I have a short travel trailbike that'll do 90% of the stuff I ride but want something more for the parks. Druid and commencal's success in DH convinced me to build a high pivot supreme sx. If it only came down to one bike, druid all the way.

Hoping forbidden will also produce a 150-160mm bike in the future.
Yeah that's the dream. Thing is I have an XC bike and I don't have any lift access DH where I live so a Supreme again is a bit much.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,325 Posts
I finally installed my tailored Ride Wrap kit today. In short, it almost cost me my sanity and my relationship. Total hatchet job. I almost cried more than once, and came close to ripping it all off my frame.

And to add insult to injury, I have a second tailored kit that I ordered for my Honzo. So yeah. More good times ahead.

As an aside, there is nothing wrong with the product. I should have known not to try this on my own. It’s my fault.

Anyway, tomorrow is the start of the Druid build. Onwards and upwards.

61 - 80 of 2747 Posts