41 - 60 of 2747 Posts

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,325 Posts
The bad...

3. Moss, WTF?
Awesome review Legbacon. Thank you.

My frame arrived today at work. I opted for the matte carbon :thumbsup:

The "tailored" Ride Wrap kit is due to arrive Tuesday. I will build it next week.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #42
I am anxiously awaiting you photos and ride impression. The Druid looks great in black.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,325 Posts
Hint: It has 180mm of travel and is a high pivot...
91DE9E58-C317-4F02-9D35-B035616A592C.jpg

Congrats man. HSP :thumbsup:

I haven’t unboxed my Druid yet. Preoccupied with other stuff. It was a great day at work though...

5C2E929D-5C76-4155-9780-448208D04332.jpg

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #45
Nice bottle. Who's your boss, Don Draper?

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,325 Posts
Nice bottle. Who's your boss, Don Draper?
***OFF TOPIC ALERT - anyone who is going to be offended to the point of neg repping me (you know who you are - it's the only neg rep I have received on here by the way), best be turning back now***

Legbacon - I had just bought that bottle for my assistant as a little token of my appreciation, cuz she is a Superstar. She recently returned from a trip to Cabo that she has been raving about. The bottle was considerably less expensive than return tickets there :)

I hadn't given it to her yet, when my Druid arrived. I thought it would go nicely in the pic alongside the Druid.

Perhaps her friends are now asking HER whether HER boss is Don Draper...lol.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
Ok, possible stupid question...Can you get by with 1 chain on the Druid? Or do you need to piece one together?

Also, Does the Druid have a non-standard seatpost clamp? It looks to be oval.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,325 Posts
Ok, possible stupid question...Can you get by with 1 chain on the Druid? Or do you need to piece one together?

I understand that the small and medium frames get away with one chain, but the large frame requires 1+. No big deal AFAIAC, unless I am missing something.

As for the seat post clamp, here is a pic from the NSMB review:

fullsizeoutput_d1.jpg

So, yeah. It looks non-standard. Thankfully it's included with the frame.

Given that my significant other was instrumental in encouraging my purchase, I am going to unbox the Druid this evening with her present. I am hoping there are no bad surprises...

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #49

It needs some extra links so you are going to have an extra quick link in there. The seat clamp follows the seat tube shape outer but has a regular 31.6 seat post. Just to clarify, it does not come with whisky. My Fugitive came with a flask but it was empty:(.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,325 Posts
...Who the [email protected] is don draper?
Donald Francis "Don" Draper is a fictional character and protagonist on the AMC television series Mad Men (2007–2015), portrayed by Jon Hamm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Draper

As for the connection with the Patron, Legbacon can wade in if he so wishes.

Damn - I'm in for another 6 hours straight of fairly heavy snowfall...looks like I will have some extra time to build the Druid.

fullsizeoutput_d4.jpg

·
Registered
1,338 Posts
Donald Francis "Don" Draper is a fictional character and protagonist on the AMC television series Mad Men (2007–2015), portrayed by Jon Hamm.

https://en.wikipedia.org/wiki/Don_Draper

As for the connection with the Patron, Legbacon can wade in if he so wishes.

Damn - I'm in for another 6 hours straight of fairly heavy snowfall...looks like I will have some extra time to build the Druid.

View attachment 1248902
Mad men? I guess i need to get in more. Haven't had TV since 2012 and really only watched top gear and no reservations.

SNOW!?!?!?! Jesus man...we were kicking it in the mid 80s today but the hellish summer of austin will soon be upon us. Speaking of austin, we are pretty familiar with patron here

https://patch.com/texas/downtownaustin/austin-billionaire-john-paul-dejoria-selling-patrn-spirits

NOW get to building that druid! My high pivot is stuck in customs at the moment.

·
Registered
4,443 Posts
I understand that the small and medium frames get away with one chain, but the large frame requires 1+. No big deal AFAIAC, unless I am missing something.

As for the seat post clamp, here is a pic from the NSMB review:

View attachment 1248883

So, yeah. It looks non-standard. Thankfully it's included with the frame.

Given that my significant other was instrumental in encouraging my purchase, I am going to unbox the Druid this evening with her present. I am hoping there are no bad surprises...
Thanks for the info. Post some pics of your build when you're done.

You can buy bulk chain so it's a non issue.

Who the [email protected] is don draper?
Yeah, was just wondering.

It needs some extra links so you are going to have an extra quick link in there. The seat clamp follows the seat tube shape outer but has a regular 31.6 seat post. Just to clarify, it does not come with whisky. My Fugitive came with a flask but it was empty:(.
Just crossed Knolly off my list for half assing it. What good is an empty flask.:)

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,325 Posts
Finally got it unboxed.

It was packaged very well. There are a few cosmetic things going on with the frame but nothing significant, and probably capable of being washed off/rubbed out. Likely more fingerprints and oils than anything else.

The SWAT box-like storage behind the downtube protector is awesome. Holy ****. I haven’t checked what it will hold but I suspect quite a bit beyond a tube, especially if you want to store things further up the downtube, which is uninterrupted.

Graphics are great. Understated and definitely in sync with the bike’s namesake. Very Druid-like stuff going on.

The matte carbon finish is 100% to my liking. I could not have custom chosen a better colour/look.

My shirt and bottle were in the box, as promised.

I sit and stare, and wonder where the $4300 CDN went but that’s because that’s a lot of money, not because the frame is not incredibly impressive.

I have to decide a few build issues and I need to apply the tailored Ride Wrap kit when it arrives, but I suspect the build should be complete soon. Hopefully within a week or so.

Happy to try to answer any questions anyone has. Otherwise, on with the build.

PS - my Zee Cage with tool fits in the frame perfectly. Room to spare.

·
Registered
102 Posts
Thanks for the updates :)

@Legbacon: Can you comment how the Druid behaves in techy, slow-speed situation compared to the Fugitive? Did you try to wheelie/manual/bunnyhop the Druid? One review claimed that (...because of the rearward axle) HP bikes are a ***** to get on the back wheel.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #58
Thanks for the updates :)

@Legbacon: Can you comment how the Druid behaves in techy, slow-speed situation compared to the Fugitive? Did you try to wheelie/manual/bunnyhop the Druid? One review claimed that (...because of the rearward axle) HP bikes are a ***** to get on the back wheel.
The bar on the demo was too high so I didn't find it hard to lift the front over obstacles. I didn't try a wheelie. As for low speed tech, nothing beats Knolly's 4X4 suspension. The small bump absorption on the Druid doesn't match the Fugitive but was OK.

I road the Fugitive on some of the same trails yesterday and will stick with it for now.

I'm looking forward to seeing that Druid built up, they are gorgeous.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,325 Posts
The bar on the demo was too high so I didn't find it hard to lift the front over obstacles. I didn't try a wheelie. As for low speed tech, nothing beats Knolly's 4X4 suspension. The small bump absorption on the Druid doesn't match the Fugitive but was OK.

I road the Fugitive on some of the same trails yesterday and will stick with it for now.

Hmmm...There still may be a little left in the budget, and room in the garage for one more loved one...

I kid. I kid. As soon as the Druid is built, I need to try to curb the bike spending a bit. It’s starting to get ridiculous.

·
Registered
14,358 Posts

The Fugitive has a pretty significant advantage as well...it's paid for. ;)

The Druid does look nice and the price is a decent value once you factor in it's a niche brand full carbon frame sold in low volume quantities. :thumbsup:

It'll be interesting to see the longer term reviews once the new bike Kool-Aid wears of. It's great to have a bike option with a Vancouver Island connection. :)

41 - 60 of 2747 Posts