Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

21 - 40 of 2900 Posts

·
Registered
1,343 Posts
I know what bikes you have had and enjoyed.

That's quite a statement.

As for driveline resistance, the issue was raised in the PB comments. It seems like a legit thing to either confirm or dispel. I can't think of a better man than TB to do so.
If im gonna be stuck with a single pivot, it might as well be a high one.

Totall agree, feedback on this is much appreciated (but must admit to not caring enough about idler drag to keep me from buying one)

·
Self Appointed Judge&Jury
37,619 Posts
Cool advertising video anyway.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #24
My boss loves it, and I hope to get some test riding this week. Home trails in the video😋.

·
37,619 Posts
My boss loves it, and I hope to get some test riding this week. Home trails in the video😋.
Travis, since you’ve become Legbacon I’ve noticed a more easy going demeanor.;) There’s a few others in here that could benefit from a username change.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,388 Posts
I like when he puts the power down at :46. The ass end of that bike is not bobbing. At all. Same with the out of the saddle climbing at :18.

When you watch Blenki blasting on the Aurum HSP, he is pedalling lots. Maybe more than anyone else out there. Again, with no discernible pedal bob (and, reportedly, no pedal kickback).

The Druid with that HSP driveline/linkage seems to provide a rock solid pedalling platform, yet be incredibly fast and compliant through the square edged hits. For all the apparent witchcraft and wizardry going on, it is puzzling why there are so few HSP bikes out there at the moment. Perhaps with the undeniable success of the Commencal team (and, to a lesser extent, the Norco team), and now with the launch of the Druid in the aggressive trail category, all that is about to change.

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #27
I think we will see a few more high pivot bikes come out. There are plenty of different suspension designs now and I'm sure this will continue to evolve. Looks like i will get a good test ride in because this week looks dry, sunny, cool, and tacky. Mountainbike Heaven. Will it surpass the Knolly Fugitive? I'm doubtful that it's possible but, I am ready to be convinced.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,388 Posts
The Fugitive is a bad ass, kick ass bike. It sets an exceedingly high bar.

At minimum, my bet is that you will find the Druid's fit and finish (i.e.; quality of construction) to be exceptional. After that, it's anyone's guess.

Eagerly awaiting all your observations...

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #29
Going to give it a try this afternoon.

Sent from my SM-G935S using Tapatalk

·
37,619 Posts
Holy chain length Batman!!

Don’t over complicate it Robin.

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,388 Posts

The stoke is high. Very high.

Patiently awaiting Legbacon's review...

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,388 Posts
...After seeing this druid, i had to get in on some of this high pivot witchcraft myself;)
Nice. Do tell.

I did too. I hope to be posting something further later today...

·
Mantis, Paramount, Campy
4,726 Posts
Based on that video...is it an eBike?

The only time the riders legs moved was when he was PUSHING THE BIKE up hill?!?

·
Registered
8,564 Posts
Discussion Starter #38
I took it out for a couple of hours yesterday and then handed it off to a workmate who's 2 bikes are down right now. He instructs MTB at Whistler over the summer so I look forward to his take.

A little about me. 60 years old, live for the descents, ride 4 days a week, not afraid to climb, intermediate skills and lots of times in the top 10% on black descending trails ( some of these on a HT) My personal bikes are a Pipedream Moxie and a Knolly Fugitive.

The Druid. We set the sag at the shop, I checked the tire pressure and swapped the brake to right front. I left the 50mm stem and 20mm rise bar. Ideally I would run a 40mm stem and flat or 10mm rise bar an this bike. I was a bit too upright. I should have taken the time to swap the pedals from the Saints to my XTR Trail, it turn out the pins on the Saints made it very hard to unclip :(. The large Druid fit my stumpy legged 5'9" body quite well with a nice steep STA. The drivetrain did not have drag that I noticed, but the Minions with Cushcore did. That and it was my 3rd day in a row riding. It was my first time on AXS Eagle and I am not used to it, so shifting wasn't intuitive for me. With my build kit the test would have gone smoother. The drivetrain does make a slight noise, sounds like the lower chain guide. I don't like the moss colour but the bike looks great. The frame had room for my 1 litre water bottle with spare for a frame make or the like. My legs didn't rub anywhere. FBC is located in town here and the shop I work at PT is a dealer. I don't think this biased my opinion???

The good.

1. This bike carries speed in the rough. Like to go fast, you will love this aspect, I did. I think its the rearward axle path that helps here. It felt smooth but without being very plush. Plush enough, especially when you consider it's only got 130mm out back.

2. It is a great climber. I noticed some bob with the shock open on my way to the trailhead. I flipped the climb switch and left it on for most of the logging road climb. I flipped it off for the last bit and it still pedalled well. I would use it on the road, but if it wasn't available I could live with it. The shock's compression was backed off completely. Once on the trail part of the climb it pedalled great, did not wander even with the high bar, the steep STA was perfect for me and, traction was good. I would be very happy with it.

3. Handling was intuitive. Maybe because I'm on similar 29ers but I found the cornering was spot on. Stable and could still be whipped through S turns.

4. The 450mm seat tube gives me plenty of room for a dropper.

5. The frame looks beefy and seemed stiff laterally.

6. Room for a good 2.5 tire.

The bad.

1. I felt some very slight brake jack. My boss said he felt it so I was looking for it. I didn't brake extremely hard, what I felt was minor and, it would not put me off.

2. $4000 Canadian dollars for the frame with no stock build kits available will put some people off.

3. Moss, WTF?

I just got my Fugitive last August so I'm not in the market at this time. If I was this would be a contender. Better than the Fugitive, I wouldn't say that. It has the rearward axle path that is an advantage in some situations. Long term durability is unknown but, the hardware and bearings look promising. The Fugitive will still be ridable when there are only cockroaches left. Lastly, perhaps unique to me, it won't accept a Mudhugger mudguard, something I consider essential here on Vancouver Island. I could probably fabricate some kind of adaptors if push came to shove.

21 - 40 of 2900 Posts