Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2301 - 2320 of 2360 Posts

·
Registered
923 Posts
Depends on what your daily rides are like . I’m putting my Druid through the paces and ride double diamonds at our local spot with no issues . I’d say their new bike is going to be an absolute heavy hitter and would only consider it if the steeps of the shore / BC were my trails or if it was my dedicated park bike . I have yet to feel the rear bottom where my Ripmo clapped regularly and i have no trouble keeping up with people on Patrols and the similar . Just my .02
Seeing as Fromme on the Shore here is a 15min ride from my house I think the Dreadnought will suit me just fine!
Those geo estimates sound pretty good, the design drawing dropped almost a year ago showed a 63.5 HTA iirc. The pic should be somewhere in this thread.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Seeing as Fromme on the Shore here is a 15min ride from my house I think the Dreadnought will suit me just fine!
Those geo estimates sound pretty good, the design drawing dropped almost a year ago showed a 63.5 HTA iirc. The pic should be somewhere in this thread.
I wonder if it's like the druid though in the sense that you could run either a 160 or a 170 fork. Also, we know it will be Ziggy link compatible so that headtube angle may change depending on set up. I literally just got my druid, but seeing more and more of the new steed I feel I'm being sucked into the "I gotta have it" crowd. Maybe built it up as a park rat bike? Haha

·
mosstrooper
108 Posts
How about a 65mm?
Right, that's exactly what I have on two of my bikes currently (since it's the longest stem I can find offered in a 35mm clamp, and I'm addicted to the Chromag BZA 35 bar, so... 65 it is!) but it's not an ideal match for newer-school geo, and especially, it seems to match poorly with shorter-offset forks. A 65mm stem with a 42 or 44mm offset fork kind of feels like combining two opposite design philosophies -- the longer stem makes the front end turn more quickly, while the short-offset fork wants more of a "turn with the hips" kind of style. And a 65mm stem with a traditional 51mm offset just feels like an XC bike after riding a more modern front end. There's not an exact reach number at which I feel I can start using a 40-50mm stem confidently, but generally anything over 500mm will do it for me. That said, I'm wondering if the longer reach center on the Druid would allow me to run a shorter stem and still feel like I'm balanced between the axles, not pushed too far over the back. The more I think about it, though, while a stable bike with a roomy cockpit is ideal, I'd rather run a slightly too-long stem and still have a bike that feels like it can bob and weave through corners like a tech-carving trail bike, than stake my entire sizing rationale on having a shorter stem and end up with a "plow-and-pray"-style enduro bike that I can't justify using anywhere but the bike park. I'd love to get hard and fast numbers on the Dreadnought before I shell out coin for the Druid, but I think I'll probably end up with a Druid. Now if only Forbidden brought back that sexy matte black colorway from 2019...

·
Registered
923 Posts
I wonder if it's like the druid though in the sense that you could run either a 160 or a 170 fork. Also, we know it will be Ziggy link compatible so that headtube angle may change depending on set up. I literally just got my druid, but seeing more and more of the new steed I feel I'm being sucked into the "I gotta have it" crowd. Maybe built it up as a park rat bike? Haha
The idea of a few geo options would be cool, I'm aiming to start with the fork at 170 and no Ziggy link.

I bought into the "gotta have it" the moment I saw the cropped design drawing last Feb. It will be the first time I'm buying something I haven't ridden or even seen in person before (other than a few spy shots), but the goal for this is under 33lbs and my one bike to do it all in the Sea to Sky corridor where there is less xc riding and more that it's just a question of how gnarly do I feel like attempting on today's ride.

I don't shuttle much so keeping the weight manageable is important on those long climbs. I will ride the park at least once this summer but it's not really my jam. I prefer the climb and more isolated trails in the area.

Patiently waiting for Feb .... (It's killing me but the weather blows so that's helping)

·
Off the back...
2,247 Posts
I tried the Druid with a 140 fork and got too many pedal strikes, went to 150 and it stopped being an issue. 🤷‍♂️ The Druid is rated for up to a 160 Fox 36. I imagine the Dread will be a 170-180 fork bike. Buchanan was rolling a 170 fork on the prototype, IIRC.

·
Registered
223 Posts
The idea of a few geo options would be cool, I'm aiming to start with the fork at 170 and no Ziggy link.

I bought into the "gotta have it" the moment I saw the cropped design drawing last Feb. It will be the first time I'm buying something I haven't ridden or even seen in person before (other than a few spy shots), but the goal for this is under 33lbs and my one bike to do it all in the Sea to Sky corridor where there is less xc riding and more that it's just a question of how gnarly do I feel like attempting on today's ride.

I don't shuttle much so keeping the weight manageable is important on those long climbs. I will ride the park at least once this summer but it's not really my jam. I prefer the climb and more isolated trails in the area.

Patiently waiting for Feb .... (It's killing me but the weather blows so that's helping)
SAMSIES!

·
Registered
86 Posts
Anyone have issues with their chain slap protectors just flying off? I was riding and mine flapped into my spokes. Looked like it was barely held on with anything.

·
Registered
478 Posts
I came off a SB150 Onawave the druid handles everything the 150 did no problem if not better. The bike is over all way more balanced than the 150. The druid somehow eats everything up, but I would say it doesn't feel as efficient as the 150 but damn close. If i were you i would try a druid then maybe the Dreadnought you would be pretty surprised.

·
Registered
223 Posts
I came off a SB150 Onawave the druid handles everything the 150 did no problem if not better. The bike is over all way more balanced than the 150. The druid somehow eats everything up, but I would say it doesn't feel as efficient as the 150 but damn close. If i were you i would try a druid then maybe the Dreadnought you would be pretty surprised.
i hear ya bro. however, where the 150 is "better" is its more aggressive reach etc. hence betting on the dreadnought to keep that aggressive geo. my basic understanding is that the dready is their race bike. considering im riding more gnarly stuff, a fair bit of double black and steeps i think its the right decision.

·
Registered
675 Posts
Anyone have issues with their chain slap protectors just flying off? I was riding and mine flapped into my spokes. Looked like it was barely held on with anything.
Came off twice on mine. Got a new rear end after mine broke and it's starting to come off after two rides! So I'll be on number 3 soon

Sent from my SM-G950U using Tapatalk

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,261 Posts
I bought a replacement because of the thorough gouging mine has taken. The backing paper on my replacement will not even stay adhered to the adhesive side.

When I end up installing it, I will zip tie it down. Not the most glamorous look, but at least it will stay put.

·
Registered
990 Posts
I bought a replacement because of the thorough gouging mine has taken. The backing paper on my replacement will not even stay adhered to the adhesive side.

When I end up installing it, I will zip tie it down. Not the most glamorous look, but at least it will stay put.
Try this for reattaching your protector. Spray the back of it let it get almost completely dry then install. Just make sure you get it lined up right the first time it sticks like mad.

·
Registered
86 Posts
I prefer the option of removing it if I ever need to haha. I contemplated the spray adhesive but that stuff makes a mess. What I did last night was remove all the old tape. Cleaned it super well, then scrubbed with wax and grease remover a few times. I scuffed up the back side of it with red scotchbrite, and cleaned again. Then I applied some 3M adhesion promoter to the back that i've used on rubber trim in the past. Applied some fresh 3m VHB tape to it and put it back on. We shall see how it goes.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Once Forbidden has released the bike do you think we will see any updates to the Druid or running changes? Not an owner yet but reading through the thread looks to be some areas for tweaks with clearance in the rear triangle for mud and 12 speed set ups.

·
Registered
86 Posts
Once Forbidden has released the bike do you think we will see any updates to the Druid or running changes? Not an owner yet but reading through the thread looks to be some areas for tweaks with clearance in the rear triangle for mud and 12 speed set ups.
Unlikely. The thing I can appreciate about smaller bike companies like Forbidden is that they don't see the need/pressure for major changes year over year. I could see the current Druid platform/design working well for them for the next 3-4 years. I think the new bike also shares some components (idler wheel, hardware, ports etc) with the druid if I am not mistaken.

·
Registered
394 Posts
Unlikely. The thing I can appreciate about smaller bike companies like Forbidden is that they don't see the need/pressure for major changes year over year. I could see the current Druid platform/design working well for them for the next 3-4 years. I think the new bike also shares some components (idler wheel, hardware, ports etc) with the druid if I am not mistaken.
Be interesting to see what is carried over to the Dreadnought vs what’s new.

·
Registered
923 Posts
Be interesting to see what is carried over to the Dreadnought vs what’s new.
Their Xmas post on Instagram showed a decorated tree adorned with Ziggy links and shiny idlers so maybe a stainless option is just around the corner?

2301 - 2320 of 2360 Posts