Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

2281 - 2300 of 2362 Posts

·
mosstrooper
108 Posts
Thanks to you both for reading and responding -- good to get multiple perspectives! :)

I am your same height and lanky. I was concerned about the reach as well as I came off a Ripmo Gen 1. with a 500mm reach. I can say that the XL Druid feels just as long to me as my Ripmo, and I am running a 50mm. stem.
That's a useful comparison. Why do you think the Druid isn't affected by 15mm less reach? Is it a wheelbase thing, or does the higher stack help, or something else? I haven't spent much time on the Ripmo, but the v1 Ripmo and v4 Ripley aren't too far off in geo, and I rode the Ripley for much of last summer.

i'll argue the other side, especially if you go Ziggy, which reduces the reach to 480mm on an XL. i'm 73", shaped like a spider monkey with a +5" ape index. i wouldn't go any shorter, and i don't like the idea of using a stem to correct geo...i think it should be as close to your offset as possible, but that's me.
Wow, a real lanky boy! +5" would make you a good rock climber or something. I'm not planning to use the Ziggy Link if I build a Druid (after almost a decade riding 29ers, I'd take a 32" front wheel before I'd take a 27.5" rear), but it's interesting to hear that you're finding the reach to be on the shorter side. Totally agree that compensating for shorter cockpit numbers with a longer stem has a habit of neutering steering.

Anyone have thoughts on whether Forbidden's new bike, which will presumably be 20-30mm longer per size, would be a better choice if the reach on the Druid is borderline too short? My sense is that the Druid has more than enough travel for what I ride, but if I'm going to build up a high-pivot bike I want it to feel stable and balanced more than I want it to feel nimble and quick.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Wow, a real lanky boy! +5" would make you a good rock climber or something. I'm not planning to use the Ziggy Link if I build a Druid (after almost a decade riding 29ers, I'd take a 32" front wheel before I'd take a 27.5" rear), but it's interesting to hear that you're finding the reach to be on the shorter side. Totally agree that compensating for shorter cockpit numbers with a longer stem has a habit of neutering steering.
Yup...my torso is so short that when i sit down to a normally proportioned person that is 5'8" we have the same head height, haha. Nope, on the rock climbing, at 215lbs, there is nothing about this body that goes up efficiently!

I've been on 29ers since the very first Niner WFO and have zero issue managing the wheel size, other than being able to knock the bigger hoop out of true much easier. I am also a firm believer that if you are on the brakes like most of us mere mortals, then any advantage of wheel size/speed is negated.

My pursuit of Ziggy had everything to do with the 450mm chainstay PLUS nearly 25mm rearward axle path of the XL. With suspension compression, the CS grows and the BB drops even further below the rear axle line, making it surprisingly difficult to lift the front wheel in technical, quick reaction situations...especially in compressions or pointed down hill. going 650b in the rear helps to mitigate that to some degree, by reducing the BB drop. YMMV

·
Registered
571 Posts
Has anyone had any issues with the back axle coming loose? It has happened to me twice now in 160ish km
use some waterproof grease on your axle. even though the endcaps are stationary, the inner race of the bearing and/or the axle sleeve can still cause friction on the axle itself.

·
mosstrooper
108 Posts
My pursuit of Ziggy had everything to do with the 450mm chainstay PLUS nearly 25mm rearward axle path of the XL. With suspension compression, the CS grows and the BB drops even further below the rear axle line, making it surprisingly difficult to lift the front wheel in technical, quick reaction situations...especially in compressions or pointed down hill. going 650b in the rear helps to mitigate that to some degree, by reducing the BB drop. YMMV
Now that is verrrry interesting... I hadn't considered the effect of the size-specific chainstay on the XL, when coupled with the "true" rearward axle path, would make the bike so long it would be hard to manual/lift the front wheel. But, now that you mention it, that makes sense. Still not sure I would be able to adapt to the mullet, but certainly worth a thought.

What are folks guessing the rough geo will be on the Dreadnought?

·
Registered
613 Posts
Just saw Eggplant Druids in stock at Fanatik!
I recently asked about XL frames in the other colors and they said they had 1 of each that were not spoken for coming in the next shipment, which was due in this week hopefully. So they will have at least 1 XL blue steel, the brownstone is spoken for.

·
mosstrooper
108 Posts
  • ~64 degree head angle if used with a 170mm travel fork
  • 154mm rear travel
  • Longer reach than the Druid at any given size, 480-485 in a large

Goodness gracious. That's going to be one heck of a bike.

Given what TDC and others are saying about the length and plantedness of the Druid when at full compression, I'm thinking the XL Dreadnought would probably be TOO long for my purposes. But I do like the idea of longer reach for sure...

·
Registered
88 Posts
Goodness gracious. That's going to be one heck of a bike.

Given what TDC and others are saying about the length and plantedness of the Druid when at full compression, I'm thinking the XL Dreadnought would probably be TOO long for my purposes. But I do like the idea of longer reach for sure...
I'm right there with ya. 6'6" and having a hard time i'll feel comfortable on an XL druid coming off a 515mm reach guerrilla gravity smash. I don't like feeling "on top" of the bike vs "in" the cockpit.
I've ridden bikes that were too small my entire life until i got this Smash, but obsessed with high pivot and rear axle path of the Forbidden design.
Really excited to see the geo of the Dreadnought in XL but wondering if it'll be way too much bike to pedal in the PNW.

·
Registered
103 Posts
Thanks to you both for reading and responding -- good to get multiple perspectives! :)

That's a useful comparison. Why do you think the Druid isn't affected by 15mm less reach? Is it a wheelbase thing, or does the higher stack help, or something else? I haven't spent much time on the Ripmo, but the v1 Ripmo and v4 Ripley aren't too far off in geo, and I rode the Ripley for much of last summer.

Anyone have thoughts on whether Forbidden's new bike, which will presumably be 20-30mm longer per size, would be a better choice if the reach on the Druid is borderline too short? My sense is that the Druid has more than enough travel for what I ride, but if I'm going to build up a high-pivot bike I want it to feel stable and balanced more than I want it to feel nimble and quick.
Depends on what your daily rides are like . I’m putting my Druid through the paces and ride double diamonds at our local spot with no issues . I’d say their new bike is going to be an absolute heavy hitter and would only consider it if the steeps of the shore / BC were my trails or if it was my dedicated park bike . I have yet to feel the rear bottom where my Ripmo clapped regularly and i have no trouble keeping up with people on Patrols and the similar . Just my .02

·
high pivot witchcraft
4,261 Posts
Depends on what your daily rides are like . I’m putting my Druid through the paces and ride double diamonds at our local spot with no issues . I’d say their new bike is going to be an absolute heavy hitter and would only consider it if the steeps of the shore / BC were my trails or if it was my dedicated park bike . I have yet to feel the rear bottom where my Ripmo clapped regularly and i have no trouble keeping up with people on Patrols and the similar . Just my .02
100% consistent with what I know. The Dreadnaught is going to be a bruiser. I was told point blank that it’s not what I am after.

·
Registered
223 Posts
i have a deposit on the dreadnought.

my local rides are like light black some darker black. however when we shuttle or go to a bike park where a lot of what I ride is double black and dh trails. I see it as worthwhile for the type of riding i do. horses for courses.

2281 - 2300 of 2362 Posts