Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Recently got my first steel frame in probably over 10 years. For you that are riding some of the nicer steel frames out there... do you think its worth it to spray the insides of the tubes with some kind of frame savers(rust proofing?)

Maybe my question dates my experience with steel... maybe people don't even do that any more.

Anyway, thanks in advance.

·
Registered
2,856 Posts
Yes,

I treat all of my steel frame with Framesaver before building them and again every 2-3 years or so...if I still have the bike. It's pretty easy and cheap insurance. I've never seen what could happen if you didn't treat them though. I just rode my road bike (Allez Cro-Mo) for about 35 miles of a 90 mile ride through the rain and on wet roads and then it rode on a roof rack through the rain. I'll bet there's quite a bit of water inside the frame tonight when I clean it up.

·
R I D E S T E E L
646 Posts
I do as well on all my frames. I've been using T9 lately. Any long lasting lube should work pretty well. For those frames with vented rear tubes, I respray after a long rainy ride.

Speaking of this, I have a little catch up to do on one of my frames...

·
King Pin
1,247 Posts
Really depends on your location.

You live in West Virginia, the other responders in Ohio/Michigan and such.

I live in Aridzona, and we don't treat our steel frames out west much. Just not enough moisture/humidity to worry about.

·
Registered
56 Posts
Yep I live in oregon and have had many steel frames still have some cro-moly from the late 80s and still run great. I have not treated one of them. I do keep them in side everynight to keep them out of the weather.

·
Registered
112 Posts
upside down

Japanese climate (wet, wet, wet...) might be the worst for these steel frames, but most of us don't care about inside of the pipes.The best way I believe is ...always take your seat post out and upside down your bike and let water out from seat tube and dry after every rainy rides.

I have 5 steel frames from 80's and never used such as Framesaver, but still no probrem, indeed :)

·
ali'i hua
1,796 Posts
xrmattaz said:
Really depends on your location.

You live in West Virginia, the other responders in Ohio/Michigan and such.

I live in Aridzona, and we don't treat our steel frames out west much. Just not enough moisture/humidity to worry about.
same here in socal- not a whole lotta reason for fame saver. about 99% of the time, the only water my steel 29er sees is when its getting the dust washed off of it.

·
R I D E S T E E L
646 Posts
For those not using anything, a friend works in a shop and has seen rusted frames. I remember one he told me was a really sweet Paramount. The owner was thinking of repainting and brought it in to have it looked at and discussed. My buddy sensed something was up and started lightly tapping the tubes with a pencil tip. Ends up the top tube was rusted through pretty badly.

All I'm saying is...better to be safe. It only takes a short bit to coat the tubes.

·
Registered
129 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
thanks

all-thanks for the comments. Seems like cheap insurance to play it safe. Plus, WV can be pretty 'moist'.

Thanks again. I'll post some pics when I get some good ones.

·
highly visible
3,284 Posts
cvs said:
Yep I live in oregon and have had many steel frames still have some cro-moly from the late 80s and still run great. I have not treated one of them. I do keep them in side everynight to keep them out of the weather.
Agreed. Even here in the Pacific North"wet" a steel frame will last for years or even decades without treatment. I've left bikes sitting outside in the damp weather (though covered -- in garages or carports) for winter after winter, and driven them on top of the car for many miles in pouring rain with no ill effects.

The thing to watch out for is SALT. Having grown up in MN, I know this well. If you live within a few miles of the ocean, or somewhere where it snows and they salt the roads, you should definitely treat your frame. Otherwise it's just a little added peace of mind, but not really necessary.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.