Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 19 of 19 Posts

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Be alert out there, ride safe, and hopefully you will not be targeted by enraged drivers. Condolences to the victims.

Article Here

·
Registered
217 Posts
I try not to ride my road bike on the road anymore. Gravel and paved bike paths mostly take away the threat of cars.

Sadly, one of my colleagues was hit while navigating one of the many Iron Horse Trail road crossings....

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,211 Posts
That's horrific but not really so helpful to post it and then say "be careful out there" Not much defense to be had if someone is gunning at you from behind with a 5,000 hunk of steel.
Especially at an organized event.

·
Registered
418 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
..... not really so helpful to post it and then say "be careful out there" Not much defense to be had if someone is gunning at you from behind with a 5,000 hunk of steel.
i haven’t ridden a road bike in many years, but i do ride a motorcycle and so i am acutely aware of the danger of sharing the road with drivers whose mental state can range from being merely distracted to being outright homocidal.

for me, riding on the road generates a feeling of satisfaction, joy, and happiness that i am unwilling to give up. but it is a calculated risk and as such i am constantly assessing the balance of risk vs reward. to ride or not to ride; usually it’s a “go” but sometimes it’s a “no go”.

this specific incident may have been unpreventable for the riders involved, **** happens. but it can serve as a reminder to others to “stay frosty”, practice good riding techniques, and avoid complacency, to minimize the chances of unfortunate outcomes.

the intent of the original post was meant to remind the reader to take a moment to consciously assess the risk of their chosen activity instead of diving in “fat, dumb, and happy”.

·
Registered
34 Posts
I try not to ride my road bike on the road anymore. Gravel and paved bike paths mostly take away the threat of cars.

Sadly, one of my colleagues was hit while navigating one of the many Iron Horse Trail road crossings....
Same. I was hit by an SUV while seemingly doing everything "right" on my end. Luckily, it was slowing down and only did minor damage to myself and my bike.

Since then, I've stuck primarily to bike paths and dirt/gravel. I miss the convenience of just riding out the front door though.

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
I'm also one of those roadies who tries to avoid roads. I'm lucky in that I have a military base a few miles away where I have access 24/7 being retired military. I have a six or seven mile loop I ride with little or no traffic and the speed limit inside the base is 15 mph when cyclist or pedestrians are on the road (not that everyone reduces their speed but if they do get a ticket, they have to go to federal court which is not one of life's great joys). I make my loops and usually put in 30 miles which is good for conditioning. It's like my private velodrome.

Sometimes I bet brave (or stupid) and ride public roads with groups or solo and it is always in the back of my mind what a car can do.

·
Registered
15,434 Posts
i haven’t ridden a road bike in many years, but i do ride a motorcycle and so i am acutely aware of the danger of sharing the road with drivers whose mental state can range from being merely distracted to being outright homocidal.

for me, riding on the road generates a feeling of satisfaction, joy, and happiness that i am unwilling to give up. but it is a calculated risk and as such i am constantly assessing the balance of risk vs reward. to ride or not to ride; usually it’s a “go” but sometimes it’s a “no go”.

this specific incident may have been unpreventable for the riders involved, **** happens. but it can serve as a reminder to others to “stay frosty”, practice good riding techniques, and avoid complacency, to minimize the chances of unfortunate outcomes.

the intent of the original post was meant to remind the reader to take a moment to consciously assess the risk of their chosen activity instead of diving in “fat, dumb, and happy”.

So what makes it a "no go" for you and motorcycle rides? Is it that sometimes you get a bad feeling about it and sometimes you don't go? And how would practicing good riding techniques have mattered one way or another in this incident?

Riding motorcycles is dangerous but in a different way than cycling. The incident described in the article above would be the equivalent of a sniper shooting you on your motorcycle from a window several hundred yards away, No amount of awareness or safe riding practices could have prevented it.

"Stay frosty, practice good riding techniques, and avoid complacency to minimize the chances or unfortunate outcomes" is a disingenuous statement in relation to the linked article. The next sentence you wrote - "the intent of the original post was meant to remind the reader to take a moment to consciously assess the risk of their chosen activity instead of diving in “fat, dumb, and happy” is at least honest, if not exactly tasteful in the context of this thread.

When I go for a road ride I do try to do everything in my control to make it home safe but dwelling over sick f-ers who might want to kill me is useless and counter-productive to one of the most important health benefits of cycling, which is relaxing the mind.

·
Premium Member
2,816 Posts
I just pretty much hung up my road bike for good a couple of weeks ago because of bad, inattentive and aggressive drivers. I loved road biking and have done it since the mid eighties. This being said, something like this can still happen to most of us. Most of my rides do have some pavement to get to/ from the trailhead or to connect trails

·
Registered
4,416 Posts
So what makes it a "no go" for you and motorcycle rides? Is it that sometimes you get a bad feeling about it and sometimes you don't go? And how would practicing good riding techniques have mattered one way or another in this incident?

Riding motorcycles is dangerous but in a different way than cycling. The incident described in the article above would be the equivalent of a sniper shooting you on your motorcycle from a window several hundred yards away, No amount of awareness or safe riding practices could have prevented it.

"Stay frosty, practice good riding techniques, and avoid complacency to minimize the chances or unfortunate outcomes" is a disingenuous statement in relation to the linked article. The next sentence you wrote - "the intent of the original post was meant to remind the reader to take a moment to consciously assess the risk of their chosen activity instead of diving in “fat, dumb, and happy” is at least honest, if not exactly tasteful in the context of this thread.

When I go for a road ride I do try to do everything in my control to make it home safe but dwelling over sick f-ers who might want to kill me is useless and counter-productive to one of the most important health benefits of cycling, which is relaxing the mind.

Rain, dark and poor visibility make riding the road a no go for me.

·
Disgruntled Peccary
2,211 Posts
So, basically.. you shouldn't participate in an organized race either. Which, this was.

·
RIDDLELDDIR
1,336 Posts
To be so committed to hating cyclist to the point where you deliberately murder a group of them with your car, then lose your own life when faced with the consequences is disgusting, to me.

Reading things like this cuts deep into my emotions, especially when social media accounts with millions of followers are making light of causing harm to human life just because they ride bicycles.

What's worse is the several motorists that have fatally struck cyclist and never faced direct consequences, and never see true justice.

Sad to say the least.

·
Registered
354 Posts
To be so committed to hating cyclist to the point where you deliberately murder a group of them with your car, then lose your own life when faced with the consequences is disgusting, to me.

Reading things like this cuts deep into my emotions, especially when social media accounts with millions of followers are making light of causing harm to human life just because they ride bicycles.

What's worse is the several motorists that have fatally struck cyclist and never faced direct consequences, and never see true justice.

Sad to say the least.
I agree. Although in this case, I don't think anyone has died yet? The thing about life that I'm trying to grapple with right now is comparing this incident with the one in Flagstaff recently. In the Flagstaff case, it appears to have been a (negligent) accident that resulted in multiple deaths. And this case is apparent (attempted) multiple homicide, resulting in no deaths.

Clearly the latter is the more evil incident, but the former is way more destructive to the lives of many people.

·
Registered
15,434 Posts
I agree. Although in this case, I don't think anyone has died yet? The thing about life that I'm trying to grapple with right now is comparing this incident with the one in Flagstaff recently. In the Flagstaff case, it appears to have been a (negligent) accident that resulted in multiple deaths. And this case is apparent (attempted) multiple homicide, resulting in no deaths.

Clearly the latter is the more evil incident, but the former is way more destructive to the lives of many people.

I don't know, maybe there's more details now but the article said 6 of the cyclists were in critical condition. Both this and the Flagstaff incident seem horribly destructive to the victims and their families.

·
Registered
354 Posts
I don't know, maybe there's more details now but the article said 6 of the cyclists were in critical condition. Both this and the Flagstaff incident seem horribly destructive to the victims and their families.
That's true. It's too early to know what the full outcomes will be. And I'm not trying minimize the horror that families now have to manage with this incident.

·
Evolutionsverlierer
2,004 Posts

I have a road bike and a road motorbike and the big difference for me is that I am not a sitting duck on a motorbike but of course that comes with the price if something happens it can be more severe because of the higher speeds.
I used to commute during the week and ride my motorbike on the weekends but I lost my riding mojo.
I really need to feel very good and be in fully alert to get on mine.

I pretty much gave up on both for now because of the obvious reasons
and rather hit gravel roads.

My gf is out on a week long road bike ride in the mountains which is not sitting very well with me.

·
Registered
2,455 Posts
What a tragedy. Simmering rage is the new baseline for a lot of people it seems. I even see it in myself more than I would like to admit about certain things.

I stopped road riding several years ago due to one too many tragedies. It stopped being fun at some point, and became an exercise in hyper-vigilance.

·
Registered
838 Posts
but don't forget to dwell on the sick f-ers that might bike jack you.

man, I used to love road riding. what a long time ago that was. like the rest of you, mostly gravel these days, for these reasons. I can't think of a single significant road ride (ie 30 miles +) in the last few years where I didn't have a single issue with an aggressive or inattentive drive.

1 - 19 of 19 Posts