Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 11 of 11 Posts

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
I just went 1x8 over the weekend and dropped .70 lbs from my bike (09 Rockhopper). I didn't think I'd feel the weight difference, but I did, and want more!

My current fork is an 09 Rockshox Dart 3. It looks like if I shell out about 400-500$ I can shave a pound off of my fork.

But that's a lot of money and I was thinking maybe I could replace my wheel set first. I don't know how much my current wheel set weighs, so I don't know how much weight I would save.

Any recommendations? Will I save more weight per dollar by doing the fork or wheel set?

Thanks!

·
Registered
13 Posts
Discussion Starter #3
That sounds good.

I think I'd prefer dropping a pound distributed over my entire bike rather than just at my front fork (for now at least)

Thanks!

·
Registered
1,358 Posts
A friend slowly built his RH into a relatively light, very functional bike since the frame is "solid". +1 on the wheels, but that fork has to go too. If I were you, I'd shoot for a 1500gr
wheelset; I've seen take-offs in that range for about $400.

·
Registered
3,288 Posts
BWW Pure/Mav 717 rims w/ BWW XCR Hubs shaves 1.5lb for $375
Reba Race shaves about 1.3 to 1.5lb for $379
I'm not a WW but I am looking to lighten up my 07 RH as well and these are my next parts to pick up. More important than the weight drop is the performance difference that the Reba will give you over the dart. the dart is an OK fork but once you ride a truely tunable fork, you'll never go back. I hate my dart not that I have saddle time on a real fork with my FS.

·
Registered
384 Posts
I agree with cheer. Although you may feel the weight difference in wheels more, the dart is no good at all. Upgrading to a reba or sid will feel much bettter

·
Super Moderator
6,776 Posts
Wheels is the best bang-for-your-buck upgrade, by a long shot. Once you upgrade wheels- the Weight Weenie obsession just gets worse...because the the gains(or loss) is felt the moment you turn those cranks.

·
Registered
172 Posts
fos'l said:
A friend slowly built his RH into a relatively light, very functional bike since the frame is "solid". +1 on the wheels, but that fork has to go too. If I were you, I'd shoot for a 1500gr
wheelset; I've seen take-offs in that range for about $400.
Any idea how low your friend was able to get his Rockhopper's weight down to? I"m just wondering what kind of potential the frame has, without spending an exorbitant amount of money.

·
Twin Six METAL
434 Posts
If you look around, you can get an older 2007-2008 used Sid or Reba, or a Manitou R7 on ebay for around $150. It would be a tremendous upgrade over the Dart, it would take a lot of weight off the bike and the performance gains would be noticed!

For $300-350 you can get a set of Mavic Crossmax SL's on ebay. Although you will appreciate the weight loss and performance gains of an upgraded fork, nothing will be noticed nearly as much as a lighter set of wheels. That's rotational weight, very notciable when you lose a pound or more there.

So for $500 if you look carefully, check ebay, mtbr classifieds and local sources like craigslist, you can get everything you're looking for.

Enjoy the bug, once you get it, you can't stop. How light can you get it?

1 - 11 of 11 Posts