Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 27 Posts

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Have been looking to possibly build up a Bander 1x9. rigid. Was hoping to budget it under a grand, or at least within 200 bucks of that. Don't really want to play the Ebay/Craigslist game so build would be all new parts. Do ya think this is tangible? and where would you spend the most for the quality parts?
Thanks much

·
anyone else smell that?
2,314 Posts
how much stuff do you already have?

i would think wheels are going to be your biggest expense after the frame. bike29 has some nice wheels for about $200.

i run mine with a reba in the front and 1x9 (30 front by 34 rear) with sram x7 stuff and an old raceface crankset.

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
use a cheaper sealed FSA headset, some good cranks for $100-200, BB7s with $20/pr levers, and quality cheaper components for bar/post/stem like Origin-8 and it can be done for $1,000-1,200, even with a $200-300 wheelset. I think one of the best deals on wheels now is the WTB Dual Duty FR/Shimano 9sp Deore disc combo for around $150-200 retail.

·
Registered
349 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
madcap said:
use a cheaper sealed FSA headset, some good cranks for $100-200, BB7s with $20/pr levers, and quality cheaper components for bar/post/stem like Origin-8 and it can be done for $1,000-1,200, even with a $200-300 wheelset. I think one of the best deals on wheels now is the WTB Dual Duty FR/Shimano 9sp Deore disc combo for around $150-200 retail.
Nice, Thanks for the info

·
Registered
167 Posts
That's going to be tough to do with new parts. Vassago upped the price on their frames recently too, so it's more expensive than when I built mine up. You're going to spend $1000 on the frame, an entry-level wheelset, and entry-level fork alone. You have nothing left for a crankset, shifters, deraileurs, brakes, etc.

Check the various sites for OEM take-off's, or 2008 stuff (like Pricepoint.com) and you may be able to do it all for around $1500 (using BB7's, and x.7 components). Making it a 1x9 would also be a way to get it cheaper.

I suggest looking at lightly used components. They've always been great for me, if you don't mind rebuilding things like brakes or forks.

·
Registered
10,039 Posts
Bandersnatch & Odis fork new from Bike29 ~ $560 shipped
Pricepoint X.9/Stylo/BB7 build kit with budget wheels ~ $815 shipped

For less than $1400 you could get all brand new parts and call it done. Also, the Odis fork is sweet, you could shave another $50 off by getting a used Surly or Salsa fork off ebay. The same does apply to some other parts, but the build kits are usually a pretty good deal and save a lot of time. Deals can always be found but you have to be patient to search and wait. I'm not always patient enough.

·
Time to go farther
1,338 Posts
Man I know you don't want to play craigslist/ebay but you'll get a WAY better bike for the money. There is a good Reba on Denver CL for $200. Lower end cranks can be had for next to nothing in new condition usually, same with shifters and cassettes. I bought my dad a set of Chris King 29er wheels with new tires and good rims for $300 last Christmas. You just can't beat used prices.

·
Registered
167 Posts
Yea, forgot about the ODIS, so you could do it for $1400 or slightly less. I've always found rigid forks good for single speed bikes (got one on my SS), but prefer suspension for geared ones.

·
Registered
2,328 Posts
ebay would be a good option if you can find one or two stores that have everything you need. that way, you can combine shipping to save more money. a friend of mine just got a brand new shimano xt drivetrain (cranks w/ bb, shifters, cassette, front + rear derailier) for about $425 shipped. the same components would have cost at least $200 more at most on-line retailers, and closer to $300 more at the lbs. running it at 1 x 9 you can shave money on the cranks and front derailier.

·
Basura Blanca
1,797 Posts
Agree w/ everything but the advice about the cranks. He's running 1x9 and wanting to stay w/in budget, so why not someting like the FMF cranks at Chucksbikes.com for $30, and another ~$30 for a Salsa ring?
- Joe

madcap said:

·
You know, for kids
1,570 Posts
NuMexJoe said:
Agree w/ everything but the advice about the cranks. He's running 1x9 and wanting to stay w/in budget, so why not someting like the FMF cranks at Chucksbikes.com for $30, and another ~$30 for a Salsa ring?
- Joe
True, the FMF cranks are nice, light, and a great value. I run ISIS FMFs on my commuter 29er. I wouldn't trust those crank arms for my weight (250+ with gear) offroad, but they've been holding up well for well over a year for city riding. The arms are kind of thin, really meant for BMX racing. I'm sure they'd work well for a lighter rider offroad. I've got mine mated up to the near indestructible SKF BFR-600 bottom bracket, about $135 retail. A lesser version of that bottom bracket (BFR-300 or BXC-300) can be had for around $60 and will last just as long as the BFR or BXC 600, the 600 series just has a stainless spindle and shell instead of CroMo. Or other ISIS BBs can be had starting at $20, just be aware that most cheap ISIS BBs only last about a year under normal conditions. So for about $90-100 total with bottom bracket, the FMF cranks would be a great way to go.

Another option in the $100 range are Truvativ Hussefelt cranks. You can get the cranks for $60-80 and the Howitzer bottom bracket for $30-40. I've got those on my Jabberwocky and they've been flawless for almost 2 years and still feel new. Big external bearings for that set. It's kind of a heavy crankset but should be lasting a long time.

·
Registered
1,652 Posts
madcap said:
Another option in the $100 range are Truvativ Hussefelt cranks. You can get the cranks for $60-80 and the Howitzer bottom bracket for $30-40. I've got those on my Jabberwocky and they've been flawless for almost 2 years and still feel new. Big external bearings for that set. It's kind of a heavy crankset but should be lasting a long time.
Or, the Stylo 1.1 crankset complete with BB comes in around $150. Mine's been flawless so far.

·
Waiting for Godot
1,054 Posts
you can try price point for some low price parts. stems, seat post, chains, cassettes, handle bars. their sette brands are not too bad for the middle grade quality and low price. i got some of them and havn't had a problem.

they always have a sale going on too.

·
Registered
1,005 Posts
As of lately it seems like I am constantly building-up a new bike and I go through similar parts acquisition decisions. I usually have a plan for the components I really want, and usually my immediate funds never match my grand plan when I start my project. Sometimes I build a bike in phases, and start a bike build on decent lower cost (think Ritchey or Thomson stem vs Moots ti)parts and then upgrade at which time I can sell-off the phase 1 parts.

I know you don't want to do the ebay or craigslist deal, but man there are some killer deals to be had on high-end lightly used parts. One other option to consider is finding a light use full bike to use as a donor for parts, and strip it then sell the frame. This can be a very cheap way to get your new frame built with decent starter parts that gets your bike frame into a rideable state very quickly with a low investment. Typically the seatpost may not be a fit, but most other parts and pieces can be used.

Just some thoughts...

·
Combat Wombat
1,850 Posts
I am running a SKF BFR-300 on my Jabber with an ISIS RF Turbine crank. Definately the only way to go with an ISIS BB, although I only weigh 160 lbs, so maybe a BXC version would have saved a considerable amount of weight. The way it feels and looks, it is easy to believe the claimed 10 year expected life.

Brian

1 - 20 of 27 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.