Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Witty McWitterson
5,023 Posts
Nor mine. They head out with me on trail building days. They both love diggin' in the dirt with daddy. Hikes are normal occurances. Camping is a regular event.

I suspect that this is the norm on this board though, as we're in an outdoor intensive hobby. YMMV though.

·
Older & Faster...downhill
440 Posts
Saturday morning I did a 22 miler with 3600 vertical feet, came home, showered, and took my 7 year old daughter out on a 6 mile cruise (20" Specialized). I was dead, but I made a promise to take her. I think the lead needs to come from the parents. That kid is equipped with a laptop, Wii, and Nintendo DS, but nothing gets her more fired up than a ride with Dad! Oh, I've brainwashed her well! :)

·
Registered
1,673 Posts
Mtn Biker123, that really is one of the coolest videos I have seen in a while. Anyone can post videos of their friends doing whatever. Not everyone can post a video of their kid (who doesn't look older than 7) out showing the singletrack who's boss!

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Thanks! He just turned five in January. I feel pretty lucky to have trails like ours. The are perfect proving grounds for youngsters, or any beginner.

·
Registered
2,058 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
Great vid, ends with a crash! Good music too.

·
"Oldfart from Wayback"
1,683 Posts
Mtn Biker123, great video ! My grand-daughter just turned 5 in January as well and I'm itching to take her for a ride.

·
"Oldfart from Wayback"
1,683 Posts
Not Mine Either

Although mine are grown and gone, and now I have 2 grandchildren !

I was mildly accused of child abuse, for always taking my kids with me on my 2-3 week long backpacking trips of anywhere from 50-120 mi , starting when they were ages 4-8.

As they got older, I took them on my weekend climbing trips as well.

Now I have two Grandkids, so far, and I'm doing my part to keep them outdoors.

My kids never got into MTB'ng though, so I'm hoping if I start the Grandkids young, they might want to go for a ride with Grandpa once and awhile ;)

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Stunning! I have come accross a few of your posts and I do admire the affection that you have for your grandkids. I know that I have something to look forward to.

·
ride like a girl
620 Posts
onbelaydave said:
I was mildly accused of child abuse, for always taking my kids with me on my 2-3 week long backpacking trips of anywhere from 50-120 mi , starting when they were ages 4-8.
onbelaydave, what great pix and post! I admire you to take your kids everywhere on fun outdoor trips. I'm certain they have fond memories.

I'm doing my part too...

...and keeping her interested in outdoor stuff! They grow up sooooo fast....

·
Registered
448 Posts
Not mine either either.

I started her snowboarding at 3 years old. In this video from last week, she is 6 years old. We bike around the neighborhood allot but she is still on training wheels.

·
Registered
812 Posts
That's one of the coolest videos I have ever seen, and to be doing that at five!. My four year old daughter is getting her training wheels yanked off right now, and that barbie bike is about to get dirty :eek:

(by the way before the parenting police come after me the last part was a joke)

·
Pedaler of dirt
903 Posts
Not mine.

She came hiking with us in New Mexico when she was a baby.

Camping in California last year.

And she's already looking forward to heading out to the woods this year. She'll be 5 this year and once she learns to swim we'll start with the surfing lessons. Poor kid has no chance.

Now the wife, she's a lost cause when it comes to the great out doors. :)

·
Registered
523 Posts
My four girls would sleep outside everynight if I let them

·
Banned
8,202 Posts
Shoot, I still board that way. Good on all of the dads that chimmed in on this one. We need our kids to be more active and decouple them from that god-forsaken boob-tube!

·
Probably drunk right now
6,753 Posts
Unsolicited advice...

Rock Climber said:
That's one of the coolest videos I have ever seen, and to be doing that at five!. My four year old daughter is getting her training wheels yanked off right now, and that barbie bike is about to get dirty :eek:

(by the way before the parenting police come after me the last part was a joke)
When you yank them off, add spokey-dokes to her front wheel. The little plastic noise-makers.

I think they are the single-handed best tool for teaching young kids to ride bikes. The reason most kids have a hard time riding is they go too slow. But with the instructions: "You need to pedal more until you can't hear the spokey-dokes". This gives the kids a goal or target to shoot for on keeping enough speed.

·
Don't worry, be happy!
8,141 Posts
onbelaydave said:
I know what you mean,

"you take your kids rafting?"
Then -

and now (his brother)-

1 - 20 of 37 Posts