Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 41 Posts

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 · (Edited)
I don't see many undersaddle bags on mountain bikes in the woods and that's understandable because not everyone needs it. I use one for a couple of reasons, one being the fact that get-me-back-home bare essentials such as spare tube, tire tool, patch kit, multi-tool, etc. are always with the bike and no chance of being absentmindedly left at home.

This is important to me bacause I often alternate between two hydration packs. The one I use on short rides, especially in summer, is not much bigger than the water bladder inside and its single exteror pocket is just big enough to carry an energy bar and perhaps a sandwich---no room for anything else. The larger pack is for longer trips, especially during winter when I need more room for carrying extra clothing, etc.

The Topeak Aero bag I use attaches to the rails of the saddle via a quick-click, slide-in clamp while its front is stabalized by a Velcro strap around the seat tube. With the bag installed, I go an extra step by looping a stout cord up over the seat rails and around the bottom of the bag and then cinching it tightly in place. By removing stress from the attachment clamp in that manner I have never had one break. I chose that particular bag because it can be switched from one of my bikes to the other in about a minute. The bag comes with everything needed for mounting on one bike and an extra mounting bracket for use on another bike is available from Topeak for five bucks.

To make sure everything inside stays dry I line the bag with a Zip-Lock plastic bag and place the items inside it. Carrying those items there also lightens the load of a backpack. Not the ideal setup for everyone but it has worked great for me for several years.

The downside to an undersaddle bag is it will not hold a tire pump. I carry a CO2 inflator and an extra cartridge in mine and when I want to carry a pump I strap it to the outside of my small hydration pack or carry it inside the larger one.

http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/AeroWedgePack_medium_Quick

Happy trails everyone :D :D :D

·
Ride Instigator
3,220 Posts
I use that same saddle bag on my road bike. It's got enough space for the essentials for roadie duties but I go the Camalbak route for MTB.

·
Registered
1,437 Posts
I used to ride with a Camelback for all trail rides.

Then I rode a few times with someone faster than me, and I started to question why I was dragging stuff around I rarely used.

Now it's an under seat bag + water bottle for most rides. I'll keep the Camelback for longer rides where I need the water capacity.

Walt

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 · (Edited)
Ricko said:
I use that same saddle bag on my road bike. It's got enough space for the essentials for roadie duties but I go the Camalbak route for MTB.
The bag comes in small, medium and large. I have the small for my road bikes and the large for my mountain bikes. Like I said before, not roomy enough for a pump but the large bag holds a surprising amount of stuff when packed properly. As the below photo illustrates, mine contains the following with enough room remaining for my cell phone; :eekster:

tubes (2)
patch kit
CO2 gun
CO2 cartridges (5)
surgical tape
gauze pads
bandaids
blister pad
aspirin
eye wash
tweezers
small knife
handiwipes
latex gloves
Gorilla Tape
reading glasses
tire tools (2)
bug sting stick
flashlight
lip balm
multi-tool
spare car key
Sram chain link
driver's license copy
money
brake piston blocker

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #5 ·
Walt Dizzy said:
I used to ride with a Camelback for all trail rides.

Then I rode a few times with someone faster than me, and I started to question why I was dragging stuff around I rarely used.

Now it's an under seat bag + water bottle for most rides. I'll keep the Camelback for longer rides where I need the water capacity.

Walt
I tried water bottles alone but ran out too often, especially during summer when I sweat like a horse. The lightweight hydration pack I mentioned before is a Hydro Lite 3.0 from Deuter. It weighs about 20 ounces empty and holds 3 liters of water. When I don't need the larger pack (which is most of the time), I use it and one bottle on my bike, the latter for energy drink. I carry individual servings of powdered drink in the little "snack-size" Zip-Lock bags the kiddies take to school. When the bottle becomes empty I dump in the powder and top off with water from the hydration pack. :thumbsup:

http://www.deuter.com/en_US/backpacks.php?category=127

·
Its got what plants crave
5,933 Posts
I have a Lezyne "Smart Wallet" that I really like. Carries my essentials for when I don't want to wear a backpack, and fits nicely in a jersey pocket.

·
Registered
555 Posts
Hmmm..... I used to have that bag maybe 5 years ago when it first came out. It fell apart after a year. Topeak sent me a new one for free. I didn't even have to send the old one back. The replacement pack also failed in about a year. My neighbor gave me a used Topeak that has the horizontal zipper. I've been using it for 3 years without a problem. This is the one
;
http://www.topeak.com/products/Bags/WedgePack_large

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #8 ·
bigbeck said:
Hmmm..... I used to have that bag maybe 5 years ago when it first came out. It fell apart after a year. Topeak sent me a new one for free. I didn't even have to send the old one back. The replacement pack also failed in about a year. My neighbor gave me a used Topeak that has the horizontal zipper. I've been using it for 3 years without a problem. This is the one
;
Hmmmm from here as well. I bought the bag you see in the photo when I bought one of my bikes in October of 2007 and it has been subjected to a lot of rough miles on the trail since then. The items I carry in it (also in the photo) weigh bit over 2-1/2 pounds and as you can see, its zipper still zips and it has yet to fall apart. Guess I was just lucky to get a good one and you were not. :thumbsup:

·
Registered
429 Posts
bigbeck said:
;
I've gone through two of them in two years. If you put a lot in them and ride rough trails the forces will slowly tear the straps out of the bag.

Now, I put the heavy stuff in my backpack and just keep a minimum amount in the seat bag. i like having the seat bag because it keeps grit off of my adjustable seat post.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
Shark said:
Do you always carry 5 CO2's??
Yep, (when I don't carry a pump) and two tubes and a patch kit. I mostly ride alone in some pretty remote places and had rather have 5 CO2s and not need a single one than be one short and a zillion miles from the car.

·
Registered
312 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
BigRuckus said:
And reading glasses? :confused:
Add my reply above to the following---a lot of the places I ride alone require reading a map. Now add a few decades of my years to your age and you've got the answer to your question. :thumbsup:

·
JRA
240 Posts
stumpbumper said:
Add my reply above to the following---a lot of the places I ride alone require reading a map. Now add a few decades of my years to your age and you've got the answer to your question. :thumbsup:
Gotcha :thumbsup:
All i could envision was pulling out the glasses to enjoy a copy of MBA during a trail-side pit stop.;)

·
Registered
54 Posts
stumpbumper said:
Ha ! .... I do the same thing with the folding drugstore glasses. I wear progressive lenses but hate them for riding. Everything's kinda zoomy down low. If I have to read a map or fix a broken chain I'm screwed without glasses.

·
Registered
1,699 Posts
stumpbumper said:
The bag comes in small, medium and large. I have the small for my road bikes and the large for my mountain bikes. Like I said before, not roomy enough for a pump but the large bag holds a surprising amount of stuff when packed properly. As the below photo illustrates, mine contains the following with enough room remaining for my cell phone; :eekster:
Your saddle bag might outweigh me...

1 - 20 of 41 Posts