Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 14 of 14 Posts

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
i have a 2010 epic carbon comp with the stock 3x9 drivetrain and i want to upgrade to 1x11.

i know i can get the full XX1 or X01 group but want to see what everybody else is using.
i've heard to go XX1 but use the X01 casette.
and i also heard to use the specialized s-works carbon crank.

any other combos that work well and can save a few bucks?
anything new coming out? thanks!

·
Registered
3,331 Posts
Keep your current crankset and swap to a single wide/narrow ring from Faceface, wolftooth etc. That will save a bunch of money of replacing the crankset, and then run X0 or XX1 RD, cassette, chain and shifter. You can also do the Wofltooth 42t rear conversion, but that would be easier if you already had a 10spd setup.

·
There's always next year.
872 Posts
I've gone 1x10 with a Next SL crank and the standard XT cassette on my Epic. As interesting as XX1 is to me, the cost of cassette is just brutal to me. Can't justify that kind of money for an extra bit of gear range.

If I find out that I need the range of 2x10, I'll go back; so far, I've really enjoyed it.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
one reason i want to go to 1x11 is to get rid of my front derailleur. my 27.5" wheel/tire is pretty close to the derailleur so getting rid of it will give me more options for tires now that there are more choices.

·
Registered
203 Posts
The XX1 groupset cost on the Bay isn't nearly as stratospheric as the full rack retail price. I put in a best-offer on the Bay a couple of weeks ago and walked away at $900 shipped for the complete kit (seen them cheaper than that too). I felt it was a fair price considering the a'la carte price from my LBS ($1300 + tax). I absolutely love the 1x11. I'm running a 28 tooth front and find it perfect for my less than powerful stumps and stamina. For my local trails (southern rockies) I always can find the right gear. When that 42 tooth bail-out is required I'm smiling the whole way.

·
Registered
467 Posts
Now that 1x11 is the hot drivetrain, a lot of 10 speed parts are on sale. I agree with keeping your crank and the difference in price for XO1 and XX1 not that big when considering everything. In my experince, the XX trigger shifters don't hold up as well as the XO, but the grip shifters seems to be fine.

1x10 seems to be about $300 cheaper than XO1 and only a few hundred more for XX1.

·
old and slow
404 Posts
Wolf Tooth or Race Face Narrow-Wide chainring with 10 speed SRAM Type 2 or Shimano Plus RD and Wolf Tooth or One Up 42T cassette cog and compatible 11-36 10 speed cassette minus the 17T cog.

My setup is Race Face 30T Narrow-Wide ring, Shimano XT Plus RD and One Up 42T cog. Works like a charm.

·
Registered
118 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
sounds like a lot of great conversions and suggestions. gotta think about this a lot more. thanks for all the replies! now i need to look at ebay, trigger vs. grip shift (thought i was set on trigger) and maybe going 1 x 10 w/ 42T cog. i really like my epic so i'm still leaning towards a full 1 x 11 upgrade while keeping the stock crank. hmmmmm....

·
Registered
385 Posts
i Have the carbon expert 2013 epic and i have been told that i can keep the orignal spider and add a direct mount chainring with the same kind of thooths the XX1/X01 has saves alot of money only thing is the cassette is so darn expensive and the RD and trigger/grip then i´m set :)
now where to get that money :)

·
Registered
66 Posts
I went with a N/W from raceface and a 42t from wolftooth on my cassette. Im really enjoying the 1x10 conversion on my Camber. Also a hellva lot cheaper than the 1x11 from sram.

·
Registered
964 Posts
I went with a N/W from raceface and a 42t from wolftooth on my cassette. Im really enjoying the 1x10 conversion on my Camber. Also a hellva lot cheaper than the 1x11 from sram.
Just buy a chainguide and be done with it. The cheapest way to do it. People have been doing it for years before the use of type 2 derailleurs and guiderings. You'll be fine. Cheapest way to go by far.

·
ACHOO
4,459 Posts
1X10 is the way to go in terms of value, and you have the most flexibility in terms of components.

Personally, I'm fine with the range I get with 32T up front, but that aspect is personal choice based on terrain and legs.

1 - 14 of 14 Posts