Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 105 Posts

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
DON'T....even though Surly's website doesn't state the frame is only made for 80mm don't run anything more then that. I have been running a my psylo set at 125 on my 1x1 (i freaking love it) and i just overhauled my rig for the first time in almost 2 years and my headtube has become ovalized. I thought it was just my frame so i called a buddy who has been running a 100mm Marathon on his and he checked his bike out and sho nuff...ovalized.

Althought this can be fixed (sorta) with a lil' milling and a headset with long cups i won't be running a 5" fork on my Surly again!

·
Registered
478 Posts
BigSur said:
DON'T....even though Surly's website doesn't state the frame is only made for 80mm don't run anything more then that. I have been running a my psylo set at 125 on my 1x1 (i freaking love it) and i just overhauled my rig for the first time in almost 2 years and my headtube has become ovalized. I thought it was just my frame so i called a buddy who has been running a 100mm Marathon on his and he checked his bike out and sho nuff...ovalized.

Althought this can be fixed (sorta) with a lil' milling and a headset with long cups i won't be running a 5" fork on my Surly again!
Been running mine at 125mm for between 2.5 and 3 years and there is no sign of an ovalized head tube. Is this anecdotal evidence or a known consequence? ;)

d./

·
Registered
46 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
dodjy said:
Been running mine at 125mm for between 2.5 and 3 years and there is no sign of an ovalized head tube. Is this anecdotal evidence or a known consequence? ;)

d./

I would say evidence. Myself and my buddy did this to our frames. I am not a big person either...6'3 175 so i can't figure it out. Its a cro-moly frame for goodness sakes.

·
Registered
478 Posts
Padre said:
Or maybe run the size fork the manufacturer spec's for? :rolleyes:
You need to get this...

THIS frame is spec'd for up to a 5" fork.

I had one, rode it w/ 5" and singlespeed...fun... a little heavy, but fun...
My 1x1 works quite well at 125mm so there is really no need. Think outside the box. Experience can speak volumes more than what is in print.

d./

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
dodjy said:
Thanks for the kind words, it is a true demonstration of your maturity. :)
So sweet yet so meaningless. dd..''
My words weren't intended to be kind, only poignant.
What does it demonstrate that you are:
1. violating the terms of a warranty
2. using a fork that is 2 inches taller than the frame was designed for
3. using the "proof" that my friend and I ride it as proof that it's "ok"

·
Registered
478 Posts
Padre said:
My words weren't intended to be kind, only poignant.
What does it demonstrate that you are:
1. violating the terms of a warranty
2. using a fork that is 2 inches taller than the frame was designed for
3. using the "proof" that my friend and I ride it as proof that it's "ok"
Poignant or not, your words were still quite petty which is a good indication of your personality.

Point 1.
Three years down. No problems yet. I've broken frames in less time. Will I need a warranty? That remains to be seen.

Point 2.
It demonstrates exactly what is being written. Take another gander. ;)

Point 3.
I never specified proof being that my friend and I... Again, take another look.

Maybe if you would spend more time reading, it might make more sense.

Do you really want to keep going on this one? You are already starting to look a little foolish with your inability to read. As for me, I am off to bigger and better things.

Sweet dreams!

dd..''

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
dodjy said:
Poignant or not, your words were still quite petty which is a good indication of your personality.
Point 1.
Three years down. No problems yet. I've broken frames in less time. Will I need a warranty? That remains to be seen.
Point 2.
It demonstrates exactly what is being written. Take another gander. ;)
Do you really want to keep going on this one? You are already starting to look a little foolish with your inability to read. As for me, I am off to bigger and better things.
dd..''
I look foolish? Interesting.
What fuels my fire is that you are knowingly riding a fork that is almost double the spec'd height. Not only does it, by default, throw all the geometry off, it looks positively foolish. On top of that, when/if the h/t does ovalize or crack, it seems you 'd be the guy posting about how poor Surly's warranty dept is etc.
By "off to bigger and better things.." does that mean you have something else planned for your suffering 1x1?

·
Registered
478 Posts
Padre said:
I look foolish?
Yes, your reading comprehension has been exemplified as lacking there of. Makes me wonder what else is missing. ;)

Anytime sweetpea, just look me up when you are in the area. I am sure we'll get along smashingly. :D

dd..''

·
Registered
478 Posts
Padre said:
I look foolish? Interesting.
Yes, very interesting.

Albeit you seem to be proving your reputation for shooting your mouth off concerning subjects you quite obviously lack even a basic knowledge of, this is yet more proof of your willful lack of cognitive ability.

To put it into words you can easily understand:
"I am already outside the warranty on my 1x1 and it has been a phenomenal three years." ;)

Do you not proof-read your own posts? You could attend to many of your mistakes if you would. ;)

BTW, I really don't have any idea about Surly's warranty department. Why? Their stuff rocks! I've never had a failure.

dd.''

PS. Do you want to continue proving me right with your ignorant posts?

·
Recovering Weight Weenie
8,821 Posts
Ah ha. Couldn't hold that in, eh?
Is that what my reputation is now?
We have an interesting issue here... I only post when it is an issue I have had either personal experience with or second-hand experience with (in which case, I mention that.)
Like in this case, I have had 3 Surly's personally and dealt w/ the warranty dept. once.
Dodjy, I'm positive that counts as "basic knowledge."
Also, any bike fitter, builder, mechanic would indicate that a frame built for either a rigid fork or an 80mm fork is poorly served by the addition of a fork boasting 125mm of travel. Not only that, it's dangerous. Because you "enjoy" it, doesn't mean it is a positive suggestion for others.
Right now, I'm using all my cognitive ability, willfully.
I would have proof-read my post, but my mom usually does that and she was at lawn-bowling this morning. I'll have to talk to her about that.
We can agree that Surly stuff rocks, and from personal experience I can say, so does their warranty dept.
You seem to be getting very agitated. You shouldn't. Besides, my dad can beat up your dad. :D

dodjy said:
Yes, very interesting. Albeit you seem to be proving your reputation for shooting your mouth off concerning subjects you quite obviously lack even a basic knowledge of, this is yet more proof of your willful lack of cognitive ability. To put it into words you can easily understand: "I am already outside the warranty on my 1x1 and it has been a phenomenal three years." ;) Do you not proof-read your own posts? You could attend to many of your mistakes if you would. ;) BTW, I really don't have any idea about Surly's warranty department. Why? Their stuff rocks! I've never had a failure. dd.'' PS. Do you want to continue proving me right with your ignorant posts? .........................................................................

·
Registered
1,170 Posts
Padre said:
Ah ha. Couldn't hold that in, eh?
Is that what my reputation is now?
We have an interesting issue here... I only post when it is an issue I have had either personal experience with or second-hand experience with (in which case, I mention that.)
Like in this case, I have had 3 Surly's personally and dealt w/ the warranty dept. once.
Dodjy, I'm positive that counts as "basic knowledge."
Also, any bike fitter, builder, mechanic would indicate that a frame built for either a rigid fork or an 80mm fork is poorly served by the addition of a fork boasting 125mm of travel. Not only that, it's dangerous. Because you "enjoy" it, doesn't mean it is a positive suggestion for others.
I would have proof-read my post, but my mom usually does that and she was at lawn-bowling this morning. I'll have to talk to her about that.
We can agree that Surly stuff rocks, and from personal experience I can say, so does their warranty dept.
You seem to be getting very agitated. You shouldn't. Besides, my dad can beat up your dad. :D
NOW THIS IS COMEDY ,SOME PEOPLE JUST NEED TO HAVE ALOT OF FORGIVNESS IN THERE BIKE TO MAKE UP FOR LACK OF RIDING SKILL! TIME FOR LUNCH TIME TO RIDE

·
Registered
478 Posts
Padre said:
Maybe so, but the point you are missing is that the experience is different for everyone. There are simply too many variables to account for in one blanket statement. Another point that you seem to be having trouble with is the fact that everything is not black and white when it comes to interpretation. The multitude of variables makes for a large spectrum of gray on most issues. Take UST or custom fit frames vs. production frame sizes for example. You can talk to all sorts of people about these topics and find many contradictory reasons why one is better than the other. My whole point here is that one should be careful when generalizing a topic with petty descriptions of one's dorkiness.

padre said:
I'm positive that counts as "basic knowledge."
And points one and three that you made earlier are examples of a lack of basic knowledge. One out of three isn't a good result. ;)

padre said:
Also, any bike fitter, builder, mechanic would indicate that a frame built for either a rigid fork or an 80mm fork is poorly served by the addition of a fork boasting 125mm of travel.
Using "any" in a general description often renders it flawed. There are very few absolutes in life and this is not one of them. ;)

padre said:
Not only that, it's dangerous.
Says who? Show me an expert's appraisal of this given situation.

padre said:
Because you "enjoy" it, doesn't mean it is a positive suggestion for others.
I recommend that people experiment because life is rarely black and white. Innovation is often based on experimentation, i.e. thinking outside the box.

padre said:
Remains to be seen.

padre said:
Back to petty unintelligent comments so soon?

padre said:
You seem to be getting very agitated. You shouldn't.
What are the telltale symptoms of agitation? No, no... not your opinions, referenced proof. Oh yeah, you're not very good at that. :)

padre said:
Besides, my dad can beat up your dad. :D
Wow... you litter your responses with pettiness. Who is getting agitated?

ddd..''''

G

·
Somebody

Somebody please read the Keith Bontrager article in the new Dirt Rag about what happens to bike handling when longer than spec'd forks are used. jeez.

·
Registered
478 Posts
fixgeardan said:
SOME PEOPLE JUST NEED TO HAVE ALOT OF FORGIVNESS IN THERE BIKE TO MAKE UP FOR LACK OF RIDING SKILL! TIME FOR LUNCH TIME TO RIDE
Hey, weren't you parodied in the in a cartoon in the last issue of the Outcast?

Also, Exhibit A...

Hans Rey
Marla Streb

Need I go on? Never seen a comment so easily faulted.

dd..''

PS. CAP-LOCK is on the left side of your keyboard.

1 - 20 of 105 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.