Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 4 of 4 Posts

·
Doesntplaywellwithmorons!
10,908 Posts
Discussion Starter #1
Ediscountbike's clearing out catamount frames on ebay, and some of the auctions have been listed at a $99.99 opening bid (including the one I won). Bargain way to get a full suspension that can be built 1 gear with only a basic tensioner.

·
Registered
1,902 Posts
No tensioner needed on the Catamount frames, the plate dropouts are so massive you can easily file a slot that will allow you to accomodate all the nearby ratios. Ofcourse then you'd have to decide if you want to SS that heavy frame that's a bit sluggish to bunny hop up the hills... but the downs are nice!

·
Registered
571 Posts
Those Catamounts are nice XC frames.

I bought one of those for $99 off of eDiscount's eBay auction as a weekend frankenbike project and have been surprised how good of a ride it offers. Shipping was around $25, the total was around $125. A great deal.

Don't judge it by the super low price, it's a definitely a nice ride and of impressive quality. Cambria is trying to sell the same frame for $300.

Yes, the rear drop out plates are gigantic and beefy.

You can't fit too big of a tire in the rear though, which I know a lot single speed riders prefer. I was able to cram a Tioga Factory DH 2.1 in there as a test, ok for dry condition but not enough for mud. I run an IRC Mythos 2.1 or a Panaracer Fire XC 2.1 in the back and it's all good. I think a fat tire with tiny knobs may fit, like the 2.4 Mutano Raptor

Seated riding is as cush as a freeride bike, like my Giant AC. I am not exaggerating.
Out of saddle hill attacks are as crisp as a hardtail because the suspension is only active when seated. True the semi active design is archaic by today's standards, but it's more useful in actual riding than one may be lead to think.

Some people think that the sweet spot URT frames are just glorified suspension seatpost, but I don't think they have actually ridden one. The sweet spot URT suspension action is smoother by leaps and bounds. I have never ridden a susp post that was smooth and had the rebound control. I have tried the Thud, Tamer Tricky Dick, RS and White Bros air sprung seat post. But yes, it's ancient in design and the thought of only having suspension while seated is archaic to most folks.

I built mine up as a gearie, but I was thinking about getting another one to be build up SS with some more spare parts that I keep discovering around the garage.

Attachments

·
Registered
571 Posts
Rebound is key

In case anyone was thinking about one of these Cats from eDiscount, make sure you bid on one that has rebound adjustment. These URT frames ride better with slow rebound. Not all of eDiscount's Cats have it, it will be listed in the auction details.

1 - 4 of 4 Posts