Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Just finished a bike ride. It took me 4 minutes longer to get to a certain point than it did last summer. Granted, it was brutally cold and I'm on a different bike (which is faster than the bike I used to ride), but still, I think the long layoff, lack of exercise, and extra weight I've gained all played a factor. I had planned to do other exercise over the winter months, but didn't, and now I'm paying for it...how are you feeling?

·
bi-winning
11,109 Posts
I've been XC skiing a little to maintain a little bit of my fitness over the winter. I'm not in great shape for cycling right now, but I'll begin addressing that *soon.*

·
Mountain Man Dan
2,181 Posts
Haven't taken the bike out in a while. Been walking because its snowy and cold. I'm sure I'll be feeling slow the first few rides in the spring!

·
Registered
364 Posts
I probably put on 10-15 pounds of blubber since last summer. I'm going trail riding tommorow, hopefully not more than 8 miles, because I'm totally out of shape. At least I don't have to get up early tommorow, I'm finally taking a week vacation after not having one for almost 2 years. Looking forward to summer, winter cold makes me depressed.

·
Registered
1,113 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
Yeah, I hear you - that's about where I'm at. I bought my new bike at the end of January and have put on 83 miles since I purchased it. Not a whole lot, but not bad considering the weather here - never thought I'd ride in February!

·
Registered
333 Posts
Last season was my first year of real mountain biking, did a bit over 500 miles of AM type terrain on my 20 year old rigid. I loved every second of it and ended the season down about 10 lbs. and probably in the best shape of my adult life. I had two goals for the off season, get a new bike and be in the best shape ever to hit the trails hard in the spring. Well I bought a shiny new Stumpy FSR Comp 29er a few weeks ago and have been hitting the gym (first time in my life) all winter and I am without a doubt in the best shape of my life. I’m shooting for 1000+ miles this year. :D

Gary

·
Registered
11 Posts
I gained weight early in the winter season, so I decided to start riding my bike everywhere in the snow after that for "punishment" to myself. I usually get in about 20-25 miles a day in the snow. So I'm pretty sure once the trails clear up I'll be set. Deep snow kills!

·
Registered
1,121 Posts
I normally gain about 30 pounds (go from around 170 to around 200-210) in the winter. But I drop it in roughly a month and a half. I'm just not motivated to eat right or exercise when it's so crappy out.

·
- factotum -
821 Posts
This is the first winter season I spent mainly off the bike. In former years I've been riding all year round. But now with a little child in my little family and a job that takes it's toll...I've been riding less and less. The trap is: Whenever I go out cycling now it has been weeks since the last time - so my performance sucks. So there is not much fun. That leads us to: Even when I have time and the weather is fine (like just now) I am not riding. Fock it. Spring will come.

·
DynoDon
1,666 Posts
I took a spinning class, I hated that, the instructor bounced and so did the whole group, I'm surprised the floor didnt' cave in, they use gravity to peddle???? I bought a spin bike of my own, that thing is a torture device, but its keeping me in shape, I'll find out when the snow goes exactly what kind of shape.. I feel stronger, I'm wondering about my stamina though. I'm working out to a Carmichael Training System Mountain Bike Training DVD. Lots of intervals. I also do some weights and stretching. Cant' wait for the snow to go, still a foot on the ground and more coming, in lower Michigan, next month it'll be gone..YEAH!!! Happy Trails

·
Registered
402 Posts
I'm out of bike shape but we have an incline trainer in the living room. (So you can watch the TV.) It has pre programmed trails you hike and run up. It kicks your butt when it transistions from a 30° angle climbing to running speed. It starts the running speed and then lowers the incline...

So... out of bike shape but not so bad on the climbing and running.

·
Registered
998 Posts
We ride all winter, snowbikes or regular mtb with spikes when necessary. Stomp the singletrack with showshoes when it's deep. XC ski once in a while. Just keep moving and there's no off-season.

·
Registered
2,937 Posts
I've been doing Insanity and P90X. I start phase 2 of Insanity next Monday. I feel pretty good physically but mentally I'm sick of jumping around in my basement and watching these dvd workouts. Starting this week I'll do two easy 30 min spins on my trainer just to do some sort of cycling motion.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.