Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 584 Posts

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #1 (Edited)
I used to listen to Leo Kottke back in the day. Was searching Youtube for some of his playing and came across Josh Turner. Talk about a young Leo.
If you know Kottke's older stuff (6 and 12 String) you need to see this kid play.

Sorry, no bike content other than the title of this Kottke tune:

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #2 (Edited)
And since we're only allowed one video per reply here's another, Josh being maybe 18 here

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #5
Been a little slow around here lately so

some more finger picking from Josh Turner

·
Cycologist
7,232 Posts
Wow, kid's really good, thanks for posting. I wonder how many people notice his mom starting to come into the room in that first video.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #8
Some flat picking, Josh being in his 20s in this video.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #9
There's a lot of talented guitar players out there. I could listen to flat picking all day, so with some more Youtube searching I found this: Jake Workman on his way to becoming the 2010 Texas Flatpicking champion:

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #11
I came across a jazz guitar forum and the players there were discussing practicing flat picking to improve their jazz soloing. Who to listen to, the OP asked. Tony Rice's name came up more than anyone else and one member posted up this vid. An example of someone flawlessly playing something really difficult and making it look easy.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #12
Since I posted up that vid above of Tony Rice I've found out this: while everyone else on this thread is still in their prime, Tony, bless his flat picking heart, considered the best bluegrass guitarist in his day, well, the arthritis and tendonitis took away his hands and a throat condition took away his ability to sing, as well as talk like you and me. It's been years since he's been able to perform.

The vid above comes from an instructional video he made to teach other aspiring guitarists, which is why it's filmed the way it is (the way I love to watch his playing). It brings a tear to my eye to see him in his prime playing this Norman Blake tune.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #15 (Edited)
And now for something completely different

Young Buckethead

Since the first one is unavailable now, here's another part of that same session:

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #18
The second coming of Jimi Hendrix.

I saw Hendrix twice, back in the day, once at Red Rocks. Then I saw Randy Hansen live after Hendrix died. Me and my friends, who had all seen Hendrix together, looked at each other and said "Holy Sh!T". Hendrix's father went backstage at a Hansen concert and called him Jimi.

·
Registered
9,123 Posts
Discussion Starter #20
Tera Melos you're gonna love this or maybe hate it but...

Just thought I'd throw this out to you. This is 12 minutes of scripted playing, it's not just made up on the spot. Check out the interplay between all three musicians especially the drummer. Nick Reinhart, the guitar wizard, is a master of pedals. Here we go:

1 - 20 of 584 Posts