Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 37 Posts

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
As a shamless plug, just letting every one know a buddy of mine and I recently started a website at www.bluecollarmtb.com. We pay for everything out of our own pocket, never recieved or asked for a dime of support, we just love MTB. We have giveaways, a Blog updated daily and a lot more. Check it out and leave me some feedback here or on the site. Thanks.

·
govt kontrakt projkt mgr
6,171 Posts
Nice..

A very well done and professional appearing site. I hope you know it will be very hard to compete with the 2 very big established forums--just not enough time in the day to be an active participant in all the quality sites. But I wish you the best of luck, Maybe when I return from the GWOT I will check in now and again and leave a post.

num1badz said:
As a shamless plug, just letting every one know a buddy of mine and I recently started a website at www.bluecollarmtb.com. We pay for everything out of our own pocket, never recieved or asked for a dime of support, we just love MTB. We have giveaways, a Blog updated daily and a lot more. Check it out and leave me some feedback here or on the site. Thanks.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
ArmySlowRdr said:
A very well done and professional appearing site. I hope you know it will be very hard to compete with the 2 very big established forums--just not enough time in the day to be an active participant in all the quality sites. But I wish you the best of luck, Maybe when I return from the GWOT I will check in now and again and leave a post.
Thanks for the feedback. We are starting to realize that about the forum. We are starting to lean more towards the reading and information side of things anyway.

What are your thoughts on the articles and blog content?

·
2,548 Posts
num1badz said:
Only had time for a quick glance over of yer site.....looks good, wishin' ya success - there are probably more "bluecollarmtb-ers" here than might want to acknowledge the fact. I'll give yer site another more thorough going over soon, just busy right now (well....too busy to navigate around a new site, anyways...heh) Good luck with your project :)

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
sonyisdope said:
Added to my "Favorites"! But yeah, you have to compete with this site and mmba.org. Lucky for you I love to play online a lot!
No competition here. We arent in this to "beat" anyone or anything. Just for the fun of being involved and helping out the riders that are blue collar like us.

·
Registered
504 Posts
Great Site!!

My bikes are decidedly not Blue Collar (One Moots and two custon) I like to think of myself as a Blue Collar rider. Hey, I use bar ends on a riser bar because it works. Hopefully thats at least part blue collar (probably part geek too!) Keep up the good work, will be adding the site to my daily "with Coffee" surfing schedule!!!

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #9 ·
MTBDad said:
My bikes are decidedly not Blue Collar (One Moots and two custon) I like to think of myself as a Blue Collar rider. Hey, I use bar ends on a riser bar because it works. Hopefully thats at least part blue collar (probably part geek too!) Keep up the good work, will be adding the site to my daily "with Coffee" surfing schedule!!!
Yeah to be Blue Collar doesnt mean you have to have crap bikes. It does mean though you either had to save awhile or go into debt :D in order to get the nice bikes. Thanks for the support! We usually try to update the Blog on our lunch break here around noonish on the east coast.

·
Registered
30 Posts
MTBDad said:
Wow! Using bar-ends with risers makes you blue-collar? I must be an elitist then, what with my paltry hourly wage factory job and the fact that I buy most of my parts at closeout prices. Or piss-poor broke.

Nice site, by the way. Added to favorites! Best of luck with it.

·
Registered
78 Posts
Discussion Starter · #14 ·
xctico said:
whatz blue-collar?
Definition:

Blue-collar is an epithet derived from the "blue-collar worker," used to describe the environment of the "blue-collar worker": i.e., a "blue-collar" neighborhood, job, factory, restaurant, bar, etc., or a situation descriptive of use of manual effort and the strength required to do such.

Generally, the pay for such occupation is lower.

Of or designating work or workers in occupations not requiring well-groomed appearance.

Synonyms: industrial, lower-class, manual, wage-earning, working-class

·
I'm feeling dirty, you?
855 Posts
I'm sorry to do this to you num1badz, but I would like to dispute your "How to Clean Your Chain" article-> http://www.bluecollarmtb.com/how_to/clean_chain.htm .
2. Choose a good solvent that will clean and lubricate your chain. It is recommended that you use a citrus solvent with a good lubricant.
-------------------------------------
Tips:
1. It is best to use a chain cleaning unit rather than removing your chain. Removing your chain causes unnecessary wear and tear and will shorten the life of your chain.

2. Always make sure that the solvent you are using has a good lubricant. A solvent lacking lubricant will dry out the chain.
Now you're telling people to lubricate their chains with a solvent, now a solvent usually evaporates after a short while, which is great when giving the chain a good washing and leaving little residue. Chains need to be lube with a chain-specific lube of some type or at least oil.

In the tips:
"1."indicates that removing the chain causes more wear, cleaning the chain on the bike while ok for clean rides is not as good as a through-soak and scrub down with solvent for dirtier rides. A through clean off the bike will cause less unnecessary wear by having crap in the links for the chain to wear out with.
"2." Using solvent as a lubricant, to make it clear: solvent aren't lube!. A lubricant without solvent usually means the lube stays put better.

"How to Tru a Wheel" while it gives you some idea on how to true a wheel, it doesn't mention anything about even spoke tension. Uneven spoke tension will mean a much weaker wheel and even more 'so call' truing will over time create a very weak and unstable wheel.

Sorry man, but good website anyway especially for non-addicts unlike moi.

·
I like Monkeys
886 Posts
num1badz said:
Great site! It was a really nice surprise to read the article about Peaks View Park! I lead the Tuesday ride mentioned in the article. Peaksview is a city park in Lynchburg Va and has 9 miles of trials maintained by the Central Virginia Mountain Bike Assoc. Keep up the good work. Now on my favorites list.

Vaughn

1 - 20 of 37 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.