Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Registered
32 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
QUESTION GUYS,

ENTERING MY 1ST ULTRA-DISTANCE RACE ON MY SS...DON'T WANT TO BE PUSHING TOO small a gear FOR THE ENTIRE RACE NOR TOO LARGE ...yet still be competitive ..

I just need some input from some of you guys who actually race ..

My event will be up in VA ( The SM 100 )...I usually push a 34 x 17 however pretty flat down here in FL.. not many climbs ..

yet I feel I have done enough leg presses for those Shenandoah Hills to mash on up them ...Thanks in advance for your replies...

·
Registered
223 Posts
Never done it, but my friend has and

if you post on the endurance site I think he will give you advice. I did the CCP this year with a little gear 34x22 and I never got enough speed. I would have rather walked a little more and gone a bit faster on the flats and downhills. For what it's worth I almost always run a 34x18 for everything, even 24 hour solos and 100 milers. It's what feels right for me.

·
Registered
657 Posts
2(BFQ)'s x 1gear said:
QUESTION GUYS,

ENTERING MY 1ST ULTRA-DISTANCE RACE ON MY SS...DON'T WANT TO BE PUSHING TOO small a gear FOR THE ENTIRE RACE NOR TOO LARGE ...yet still be competitive ..

I just need some input from some of you guys who actually race ..

My event will be up in VA ( The SM 100 )...I usually push a 34 x 17 however pretty flat down here in FL.. not many climbs ..

yet I feel I have done enough leg presses for those Shenandoah Hills to mash on up them ...Thanks in advance for your replies...
Well I have ridden them thar hills plenty of times SS, and I can say they are tough. I am also doing the SM100, but on my geared bike (yeah I suck).

Now, what you are looking for....the strongest SS rider I know, did the SM100 last year in a little over 10 hours, and I believe he ran a 32/18. He normally runs 32/16. I think he said 32/18 was just about right for him, again, he is an animal.

GOOD LUCK

1 - 3 of 3 Posts