Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 20 Posts

·
Registered
978 Posts
Beautiful work.

may I ask how durable this things are, how long a frame should last under regular ride conditions, sun, rain, cold, hot...

Very cool never the less.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #10 ·
poppy said:
Beautiful work.

may I ask how durable this things are, how long a frame should last under regular ride conditions, sun, rain, cold, hot...

Very cool never the less.
Check out Bikeys on FB. I have a video of a friend pulling back flip on my bamboo bmx I made for myself. For regular ride conditions the material is very durable. A good high quality clear coat helps seal the material from the elements.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Yogii said:
Maori art should be on the face! Please leave the beautiful bamboo alone...
I only have art work done when requested from clients. Justin Nepia, the artist I work with, had to get permission from his elders before we decided to introduce his art work to bamboo medium. Maori dont take there ta moko lightly, and it is truly a priveledge to have such beautiful work exclusive to my frames!
Beauty is in the eye of the frame purchaser! You can purchase yours without :thumbsup:.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 ·
bobbotron said:
Right on, I love the Maori designs. Are the lugs done with NZ flax?
I am with you on the art work, having Justin do up my 29er for single speed worlds in NZ this oct. Check out more of Justin's art work, liquid-tones.com, he does other cool stuff as well.
The lugs are done with hand stripped NZ flax, over forty species of flax in NZ. Working on developing 100% flax fiber bike, long way down the pipe, 2020 NAHMBS maybe?

·
Registered
1,305 Posts
Freddy Salgado said:
I am with you on the art work, having Justin do up my 29er for single speed worlds in NZ this oct. Check out more of Justin's art work, liquid-tones.com, he does other cool stuff as well.
The lugs are done with hand stripped NZ flax, over forty species of flax in NZ. Working on developing 100% flax fiber bike, long way down the pipe, 2020 NAHMBS maybe?
That's super cool Freddy. It's neat to hear what NZ flax has been used for historically, I'm always reallly happy to see it being used today. I'd buy one of your 100% flax bikes, I'd make trip back to NZ for one.

·
www.derbyrims.com
6,766 Posts
Beautiful work. I can appreciate in a small way the difficulty you have curing the bamboo carefully and working with it. Many decades ago, in my early 20's, very poor and living on Kauai in Hawaii, I made a big bamboo surfboard rack for my rusty old VW camper bus I lived in. Built when fresh cut and green. No clear coat. Tied together and mounted on top with rope. As it dried out it cracked, but became very stiff.

·
Registered
47 Posts
Discussion Starter · #20 ·
Live Wire said:
Judging from the picture you posted, it seems like you use the same size bamboo regardless of the frame application (road/mtb)...is that the case?
Hi Live Wire,
Judging from the picture I guess the O.D. looks pretty close to same size. The O.D. is not the same size and does vary abit pending on application (Rd/MTB). More important is the I.D., for instance on a MTB I tend to use thicker tubes than I would on a Rd bike.

1 - 20 of 20 Posts