Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Hey guys,

in the market to buy a tower expert 100 mm but the best deals are on the 80mm ones. I've read you can adjust the spacers and interchange the travel back and forth from 100 to 80. Does anyone have experience adjusting an 80 to 100? Is it the same setup as the 100mm, but with the spacer reversed? Thanks

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
Just an FYI but the Tower is no longer made and is being replaced by two different forks; the Minute and the Marvel. The Minute will be more XC/Trail oriented and have more of Manitou's air technology in it while the Marvel will be strictly XC oriented and come more as a sprung fork than the Minute.

I currently have a 100mm Tower PRO but never heard anything about adjusting the travel of the fork via spacers. To point, yesterday I messaged Manitou (talked to Shanan their lead Tech Support) about swapping out the lowers on my 100mm Pro for 15QR lower and adjusting to 120mm and she/he told me that it was not that simple. With the Towers you actually have to adjust the fork/crown/upper section AS WELL AS the internals to get a different travel fork.

Don't know if this still applies to the Expert but I would contact them first. They are super responsive and normally get back to you same day (depending on when you submit your question). Can't say enough good things about their customer service.

·
Registered
7 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
My Question:

Hi,
I have a manitou tower expert 80mm. I was wondering if it was possible to change to 100mm travel. I know it can be done from 100 to 80 but does it work the same for 80 to 100?

Manitous answer:

Sure enough. Just a matter of flipping a spacer on the compression rod. Instructions can be found in the following link:

http://www.manitoumtb.com/assets/Service Manuals/2012 Service Manual.pdf

John Trusky

·
Short-Change-Hero
6,534 Posts
It really depends on what you consider XC riding? The description varies for the given terrain and how the rider rides. For me, yes but my normal rides have 1-2' drops, rock gardens, lots of climbing with some buff singletrack in there. For me 80mm of travel would not allow me to take the same lines I do through a lot of these areas as I would more than likely constantly be bottoming out. If you are riding buff singletrack that has little to no rocks in the trail and not drops or stepdowns then you would probably be ok with 80mm. But again that is up to the rider, their style and terrain.

·
Registered
182 Posts
I mean marathon races in flat terrain - small hills and a lot of sand. No jumps and rocks. My frame is prepared for 100mm fork.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts