Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 7 of 7 Posts

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Some of us out there are weight weenies. I myself would like a lighter bike but I'm scared to only because I mash more than I spin. I'm even thinking that my new FSA handlebars were a stupid buy because they only weigh 168 grams. Some people would say that is great. Well I'm 345 pounds....lets see how great they really are when I am flying on a single track. My GF weighs about 28 1/3 pounds and I'm always thinking of going lighter here and there but can't help wondering if I may be pushing it too much. I went biking on the krunchy snow today......that was fun!!!

·
mbtr member
6,503 Posts
At 345 knocking 2lbs off the bike isn't gonna make much difference in performance, and if the weight comes off load bearing components- handlebars, wheels, frame, fork- it's probably gonna just make the ride squirrelly. I'm a lot lighter and i wouldn't want to ride a bike that was much under 26lbs off road. Been there, done that, it sucks.

If you really need to replace parts, get something about the same weight that is better performing.

·
some know me as mongo
692 Posts
i have two bikes at the moment. also i weight 260 lbs, quite a bit less than yourself.

the xc bike weights in at a lean 25-26 lbs depending on the tire setup. that bike could be light but just a little.

the am bike weights in at a tough 36 lbs. i can freeride this thing all day long if i like so i can pedal it forever as well. this bike is the bike i take if i don't know what i will be getting into. also it makes for a good fun training bike.

i would say that your GF at its current weight is a pretty safe bet. not knowing the parts that are on the bike i cant really tell you if you can lose much weight off of it or where. also knowing the type of riding helps a ton as well.

·
Registered
865 Posts
Discussion Starter · #7 ·
Frame: GF 17 inch Utopia
Headset: Cycle King
Stem: Bontrager Sport
Handlebars: FSA
Seat Tube: Bontrager(2 bolt)
Brakes: Hydrolic Shimano Disk
Shifters: Sram Rocket Shorty's
Derailers: Shimano Deore LX
Fork: Rock Shox Torra 318
Crank: Deore XT
Cassette: XTR
Bottom Bracket: BB-ES70
Hubs: Deore Disk
Rims: Bontrager Ranger
Tires: Big Fat Bontrager
Seat: WTB

1 - 7 of 7 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.