Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 16 of 16 Posts

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
I test rode a M butcher yesterday and found it ok for size...... my arms were slightly bent, it had Inline post on it and a 70mm stem........It felt right!

When I took the bike back to the shop I said I thought a medium was ok, but they had a Large that i sat and it felt too long (90mm stem).

I am 5'10 and according to SC website I should be on a Large - however I ordered the Medium but am no worried that I should of gone for large?

Any medium owners out here about 5'10...what size stem you running?

What is the maximum stem i should run on a butcher? 90mm?

Thanks

·
Registered
13 Posts
Cool that you ordered one! Im 5'11 and on a medium with a 50mm stem.

There is no right or wrong, it all depends on how you like your bike to feel. I was in the exact same situation as you after my test ride and I went for a medium as i like my bikes small and chuckable. The large for me would have felt to big going by my previous bikes that have all been smaller than the medium butcher. But i was the same as you, worrying that i should have gone for a large, that feeling went away after the first ride!

Dont worry it will be amazing!

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #3 ·
Russalf,

Cheers for the feedback, I am quite confident I have made the right decision. I can always play around with stems, stack heights, layback posts etc. I know there is no way to make a Large smaller, but can make Medium bigger if it needs it. I felt really comfortable on the Medium with a 70mm stem, but probably need to play with stack heights.

The demo bike I had felt reasonably light (lighter than my old Coil sprung 08 Heckler), but had SRAM X0, Elixir CRS etc.

Building mine in Lime Green, White RS Sektors, X9, Thomosn Post/Sem, Stans Flow on PRO2s, Stylo Cranks.

Looking forward to the build, only problem is my steere tube is 1 1/8 so still undecided on headset...probably a Hope Tapered with a reducer for the bottom cup.

·
Registered
13 Posts
Cool, the problem with the Hope headset is that the 1.5 step down headset to take a 1 1/8 looks damn ugly and actually raises the front end. If your on a budget go cane creek, if not go Chris King. Ive got a Chris King with a reducer crown race so that i can run my old 1 1/8 forks.

·
Registered
143 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
Russalf,

Im getting a bit worried now, my frame is at my LBS, just waiting for my headset to arrive. I am just having a last minute panic on the sizing.......

What is your inside leg measurement..... I have got a 32 inside leg, if you have a bigger inisde leg it may mean you have a shorter body (and reach than me) as we are both 5'11.

Thanks

·
Brazilian Bucher
4 Posts
Butcher Size

I was worried too when I bought my SC Butcher last mounth in size M. I am 1.78m (the limit between M and L in the Butcher Santa Cruz size chart) . Finally after the first ride I can say the M is really nice. I have a Truvativ AKA in 80mm and I really feel comfortable. The bike is very reactiv, playful and agil. I love it!
Anyway, I was thinking to put a seatpost Thomson "Elite Setback" or "Masterpeace Setback" to "increase" the toptube distance (1.6cm). Someone have any reference about this kind of seatpost?
(sorry for my poor english-I'm french)
Thank U and nice ride for all the butchers.;)

Attachments

·
Registered
364 Posts
I've had my medium Butcher almost a year now, 100% happy with my bike. I'm 5'8 30in. inseam 155 pounds, running 170mm crank arms and 50mm stem. The medium Butcher frame is stout and larger than most medium frames I have ridden. I have pictures of my medium frame in my gallery. Good luck

·
Registered
1 Posts
Medium Guy on a Large

So most of you are at the bottom end of the "Large" spectrum, and went with a medium.

I'm a medium guy 5'9-1/2" and just bought a large Butcher because I got a great deal.

It felt ok, but I never rode a medium. What draw backs are there to this? Would I benefit from a shorter stem?

I started riding an 18" Kona Stinky in 2002 which was a Large bike. It was all I ever knew and I think I liked the reach especially on the longer trail rides and climbs, but then I got into downhilling too.. so I guess im used to riding things too big. I actually just realized my real shoe size a few years ago :)

Kurt

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I went with the large in the end and run a 50mm stem it just right I think
Slightly largish bike + short stem is preferable, IMO, to a slightly smallish bike with a long stem. To me a stem over 60 mm is long, and means you're on too small of a bike. I'm just a hair under 5'8" with short legs/long torso and have a med with a 50 mm and its great. My medium blindside is just a tad bigger than the butcher (i was right between sizes on that one!) but it was either a small with a 55 mm stem or a med with a 35, tough decision but in the end i went with the larger bike/super short stem and really like it. That bike is a bit more gravity oriented than the butcher of course.

·
2,672 Posts
A bike that is a little small is better than one that is too big. I rode a 17 inch (medium) before I bought my Butcher and I'm almost 6'2". I bought the large Butcher because its got a short top tube and feels smaller than most large FS bikes.

·
Registered
1,698 Posts
I would generally agree with that, but am also factoring stem length into the equation. My bikes with their short stems are still on the smallish side for my height/torso length according to traditional sizing.

·
Registered
50 Posts
I am 5 10 and just got a large with a 90 stem, my local bike shop recommended this to me. At first i was worried to death that i got the wrong size, but planned just to run a shorter stem. Now after 300 miles i wouldn't change a thing. Love it and wouldn't look back on sizing. I think its just a personal preference. Plus the style of terrain comes in to play too I'd say.

·
Registered
332 Posts
I'm just a touch over 5'10", 32" inseam. I have a medium Butcher; 90mm 5deg stem, 40mm rise monkey bars, and 18mm worth of spacers under the stem. This puts my bars a little higher than my saddle with my fork at 150mm, same hight as my saddle with the fork at 130mm, and a little lower than my saddle at 110mm. My seat post is right at the "min. insertion" line, saddle back all the way on the rails, post has a modest set back. Fits me great set up like this but, I'd have to say that I'm the max. size for this frame. I was coming from a medium Superlight so I knew that I liked being on the big side of a smaller frame. I did customize a bash guard for my stem to save my knees.

1 - 16 of 16 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.