Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 23 Posts

· Registered
236 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
If I'm not riding, running or working my choice of footwear is flip flops. Generally I love'em but I have been experiencing problems lately, especially as I have increased my riding and running.

Lack of support and cushion for the foot have led to issues with my ankles, shins and calves. It is now impacting my riding and with several events coming up in the next few months I'm looking for something new.

To compound the issue is that shoes and sneakers generally feel to bulky and they make my feet sweat, which is why I was wearing flip flops in the first place.

So any suggestions for light weight, supportive casual shoes that won't heat up the feet?

· Ouch, I am hot!
4,761 Posts
Crocs are without a doubt the most comfortable shoe I have ever worn and I am difficult to please. Ugly though. My feet don't sweat in them nearly as much as I anticipated. In fact, sandals were worse. No blistering at all with Crocs. I have had blisters and/or pain from too much rubbing with every pair of sandal or flip flop I have ever owned, including Naots, Birkenstocks, Flo Hos, Ecco and so forth. Crocs have been a godsend for me.

· Elitest thrill junkie
41,676 Posts
Find a shoe with good support, and then change out your socks during the day, or even get two pairs of shoes and change out the socks and shoes. That rotation would probably do a lot of good for your feet.

· Kathleen in AZ
5,082 Posts
I own biking shoes (road & mtb), hiking boots, Born shoes for work, down booties for backpacking, and Keen sandals. I have my dress-up Keens and my beater Keens. Keens rock!! The wrap-around toe and foot support means I'm never slipping out of the sandal like I used to in Tevas. I can hike in my Keens, do yardwork in them, they are great for water sports. REI has a decent selection but for some reason they do not sell my favorite H2 variety anymore.

· involuntary dismounter
2,376 Posts
DurtGurl said:
I can hike in my Keens, do yardwork in them, they are great for water sports.
i second keens...they're almost all i wear now! :thumbsup::)

· Fragile - must be Italian
2,306 Posts
Hey Jay -

I too am a flip-flop afficionado. I've tried sandals and flip-flops of all kinds and keep coming back to my Teva flip flops. These aren't the Teva "Jesus" sandals -- but true flip flops. I got them at REI a few years ago and need to go back to get another pair.

The footbed is contoured to the foot and offers plenty of support. And the bottom has a lot of traction for a flip flop.

I might also look into the Keen sandals. Many of my friends wear them and love them.

I recently tried Croc's and didn't like them very much. It felt like I was walking on a sponge.

Thx...Doug

· Registered
48 Posts
My vote is with crocs. I work in health care and am on my feet all day. My feet don't sweat plus they are antimicrobial which means they won't smell funky if your feet sweat. It feels like I am walking on pillows. When they get dirty, I just stick them under the hose out back and wash them off. I also love wearing them when I do yard work.

~Heidi

· Ouch, I am hot!
4,761 Posts
dgangi said:
I recently tried Croc's and didn't like them very much. It felt like I was walking on a sponge.Thx...Doug
Sounds good to me.

All I know is that I have had many different kinds of sandals and flip-flops. All of them start to hurt after about an hour or so of walking. Thus, if I went to the zoo for example, my feet would start to hurt. I ultimately would not wear sandals or flip-flops if I planned on walking. I could not wear sandals or flip-flops to the mall, the zoo, Disneyland, etc. I had to wear sneakers. Now, with Crocs, I can wear them any place and never worry. There is no blistering, no abrasions or rubbing, no foot aches, nothing, zero, zilch, nada. I can walk in them for several hours upon hours and feel nothing. Hell, I bet I could even hike or run in them without issue.

Reasons to get Crocs - surgeons and surgical staff wear them; they can be washed with water; they are cheap; they last forever; they do not break, rip, tear, fall apart or crumble;they can get wet or muddy; they slide on and off as easy as flip-flops; I wear them; they come from Australia; and I wear them. Did I mention I wear them?

Did I say Crocs?

· PM Me for Wood Fenders
1,000 Posts
How about some SPD sandals...anyone ever use them and find a good pair of cleat sandals? I know shimano makes a pair...any feedback on these or others?

· sonoranbiker
505 Posts
Chacos!

Chaco sandals are by far the best thing out there. I was a professional rock guide and adventure educator for years, and I swear by them They are a bit expensive at first and take a little break in period, but once you get used to them nothing else will do. They're also made in CO and are re-strappable and re-solable.

Get some... you won't be disappointed. But buy some at REI, so if you are diappointed, you can return them. They also make great flip-flops.

· Registered
4,749 Posts
I just got a pair of Chacos in the mail yesterday.
I can already tell that they are going to be comfortable, even before they break in. Very secure on your feet. I really like that you only have to pull the one strap and it tightens the whole sandal to your foot.
I'm going to live in these things this summer.

With regards to the Shimano sandals, a friend wears them and swears by them. Also, a guy on the RBR boards who lives in Hawaii is always wearing them on rides.

· Registered
4,749 Posts
Crocs - yeah, when I was in surgery two weeks ago for my appendix, I noticed that the ER staff all wore Crocs. The nurse said they are the most comfortable shoes he's worn (they have to be, they are on their feet all day), they are easy to clean (rinse them off) and they also provided some protection against, um, fluids (he had the ones without holes).

If you can get past the looks, they are great shoes. Personally, I can't.

1 - 20 of 23 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.