Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 9 of 9 Posts

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
Does anyone have this problem? I bought new shimano shoes that were 159.00 to try to help the problem but it didn't. I thought if I had shoes with a ratchett(SP?) system that I could tighten, my foot wouldn't slip forward and cause the pain and numbness. The new shoes don't help. My other shoes were sidis with just vecro straps.Suggestions? I've been riding a while but I've never had foot pain while riding.

·
"She has the oak"
43 Posts
I would adjust the cleats a little bit. It's either that position or your actual seat position. Maybe try sliding it back and forward or giving it a slight tilt. Most women like their seat tilted downward a tad.. I actually like mine tilted up on the front.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Gatorbike said:
Does anyone have this problem? I bought new shimano shoes that were 159.00 to try to help the problem but it didn't. I thought if I had shoes with a ratchett(SP?) system that I could tighten, my foot wouldn't slip forward and cause the pain and numbness. The new shoes don't help. My other shoes were sidis with just vecro straps.Suggestions? I've been riding a while but I've never had foot pain while riding.
More info, please. Where do you get numbness (e.g., third and fourth toes, big toe,) and where do you get pain (e.g. arch, ball, ends of toes)?

Also, what pedals are you currently using? Are you clipped in or on flats?

Thanks.

·
Registered
821 Posts
Assuming you run clipless and your shoes fit properly, try adjusting your cleat position. Next, consider additional arch support in your current shoes. It sucks to spend a small fortune on shoes that don't work out, but most of us have been there. Specialized BG shoes are pretty good for foot alignment and nerve compression issues. Give them a try.

After you get all your fit and alignment problems worked out, still make a point of periodically curling and wriggling your toes on straight-aways. If conditions allow, remove your shoes during rest breaks and stretch your feet.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I've actually taken the (very expensive custom) footbeds out of my ski boots and put them in my Sidis, and that seems to help - provides arch support and keeps my foot from shifting around. Sometimes I still get a bit of numbness, but that's only when I'm riding my rigid bike on sustained rough patches of trail and I think that's just going to happen. When I notice it I'll try to focus on really pulling up on the pedal strokes and wiggling my toes around for a few minutes to get the circulation back. I don't notice it on my FS bike so I'm thinking it's just a matter of the vibrations my feet have to deal with on my rigid bike.

But I would agree to check your cleat position and saddle alignment. Adding footbeds is probably a good idea too.

Where are you getting the pain and numbness more specifically?

·
Registered
95 Posts
Discussion Starter · #6 ·
It's mainly my left foot and I would say I feel like my toes are getting pushed forward in the shoe that's why I thought if I could buckle them in tighter it wouldn't happen. I haven't ever really tried changing the cleat placement. Thanks for your advice. I also wiggle my toes but it doesn't seem to be helping lately not sure what's different I've been riding for years.
Gatorbike

·
Registered
55 Posts
Pain in toe ends

Hi there,

I was just doing a search - and I noticed that someone had recently asked a similar question, so I am going to tag my question on to the bottom of this one. :)

I went on a 35 mile ride with a friend of mine yesterday, and we had to stop about every 5 miles so that she could stretch the arches of her feet. She said that she had pain in the ends of both toes, and apparently really really strong pain. There was no pain in any other part of her foot - and no numbness. She is in cycling shoes (the kind that you can walk around in) - but is riding with clips. I am not sure if the toe box is big enough - or if she is having problems with feet swelling or not. Typically when I have had shoes that the toe box is too small - I tend to get numbness - not pain in the toes.

Would the pain be a nerve issue? Has anyone had this sort of thing before? (Also, I should note, that she has been properly fitted on the bike and is riding a good specialized full suspension bike - so I would be tempted to rule out any bike set up problem, especially since she is riding with clips.)

Thanks!

·
Registered
197 Posts
I had horrible numbness in my right foot with my Nike mtb shoes with laces. The shoes seemed to get smaller and smaller every year! I swear! I retired them in April and bought some Shimano mtb shoes with velcro and the biggest toe box in a women's shoe I could find.

I rarely get the numbness now, but still sneaks up every now and then. Like others mentioned, I did readjust the cleat last week and that seemed to help even more.

1 - 9 of 9 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.