Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 28 Posts

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
drewwski's thread about what to eat prior to riding or racing made me think of this.

Last year I discovered pre-cooked beacon and turkey peperoni. Both can travel with little or no refrigiration and give you protien and salts.

I also like keeping those packets of peanut butter crackers around.

Poptarts are pretty good travel and camp food and offer about the same nutritional value as some sports bars and taste better than lots of sports bars.

small bottles of juice.

what all do yall like for traveling or camping thats easy and convienient? easy to take in a pack or jersey pocket? what to take for lunch for those all day rides?

·
Loose Nut Behind d' Wheel
1,500 Posts
For the pockets and pack: Dried fruit and nuts, various energy and granola bars, PB&J sandwich, tuna salad kits, gels, and/or bananas (if eaten fairly soon during the ride).

For camp breakfast: Single-serve oatmeal packets (2, not 1=meal), single-serve hot chocolate, instant coffee, muffins, yogurt, PB and bagels or crackers.

Camp dinners vary depending on proximity of hot cooked food from restaurants vs. local cooking facilities.

Kathy :^)

·
Cracker-magnon
1,153 Posts
CycleMainiac said:
Poptarts are pretty good travel and camp food and offer about the same nutritional value as some sports bars and taste better than lots of sports bars.
Little Debbie brownies.... about 320 calories per bar, $0.25 each. Not sure nutritionally, probably don't want to know, but they can keep you going.

·
Supervixen
82 Posts
Anything but bars

I love epic rides, but by the time I'm in shape for them, I'm already sick to death of cliff bars, power bars and all their little foil-wrapped friends. My favorite epic ride pack foods:

Rice krispie treats
PB and J
Pop Tarts
Ginger snaps
Snackwells vanilla creme cookies
Payday bars
bagels
Leftover pizza
Combos (you can get them in convenient one-serving sizes)
Nutrigrain bars (if I'm in a hurry, I can stuff the whole bar in my mouth at once and work on the swallowing thing while riding)

A good epic ride involves at least one stop at a convenience store where I can get ice cream (even the prepackaged stuff tastes great after a couple of hours of riding). A great epic ride includes a stop at Kimballs, where they make it fresh with about 90% butterfat and a "small" is about a pint.

CycleMainiac said:
drewwski's thread about what to eat prior to riding or racing made me think of this.

Last year I discovered pre-cooked beacon and turkey peperoni. Both can travel with little or no refrigiration and give you protien and salts.

small bottles of juice.

what all do yall like for traveling or camping thats easy and convienient? easy to take in a pack or jersey pocket? what to take for lunch for those all day rides?

·
Registered
151 Posts
Smore sandwiches: Spread PB on the sugary side of a cinnamon graham, and Spread Marshmallow creme on a chocolate graham. Drizzle a little honey on top of the PB and smush the two sides together, keep in ziploc bags, and freeze. Take them out on your ride, they're good!

For camping: This past weekend for dinner we had beer brats- you take a beer can and cut the top off, keep it full of beer and stick it in the fire. Put your brat in it and the boiling beer will cook it. We put them on roasted buns with beer-caramelized onions. Of course, beer is heavy, but we happened to be car-camping this time. For breakfast- they have Bisquick on the go- it's a yellow jug of bisquick that you just add water to and shake. You can make little silver dollar size pancakes with country ham for breakfast..

Other riding food- I love Snickers Marathon bars, combos are good, fig newtons, crushed up pringles in a ziploc, sesame snaps.

·
Registered
89 Posts
Ditto on the peanut butter sandwiches. Those go on any camping trip as well as day-long bike trips. I also make some crude trail mix with peanuts, raisins and dried fruit. Can keep these separate or mix them together.

I'm also a fan of pre-packaged granola bars in a hurry.

·
the bomb
531 Posts

·
(enter witty phrase here)
2,250 Posts
CycleMainiac said:

small bottles of juice.

Jerkey. Beef or Chicken. High protein, virtually no fat. And not the slim jim stuff! Those are tubes of greasy fat. You can get it in packages just about anywhere. Also check at your local butcher. We get some from the butcher that's awesome.

·
Domestic Fowl
869 Posts
Pizza bones!

I learned this years back when I was in the Army. We would go out the night before we had to go out on a field exercise and order up a bunch of pizza. We'd eat up the middle of the pizza and leave the crust (the bones). We'd take the "bones" out into the field with us..... nothin' satisfies like pizza bones when you're haggered, hungry and craving salt. Mostly just bread(carbs) with enough residual sauce and cheese to add flavor. ;)

·
Registered
425 Posts
For camping/biking trips, I usually eat real oatmeal with raisins and walnuts with some precooked bacon fried in a pan and some coffee and OJ. Lunches are a tomato basil bagel with tomato sauce and turkey pepperoni (Hormel makes it and it's very tasty) and Pringles (the only time I eat them is on camp trips) and I make a batch of jerky too for snacking on, for dinner it's a whole gamut of stuff - stir fries, tortillini and sauce, mashed taters with chicken and veggies, some combo of backpacking dinners and regular dinners since we have a cooler on most camp trips.

I make a batch of these No Bake Energy Bars for all my camp trips. I put 2 servings into those little snack baggies and put a bag in my camelback. They are great and don't really melt. I attempted them with chocolate chips but they just all melted as I poured on the brown sugar. So I would not use chocochips.

· 1/2 cup dry roasted peanuts
· 1/2 cup roasted sunflower nuts (kernels)
· 1/4 cup toasted wheat germ
· 1/2 cup raisins
· 2 cups rolled oats
· 2 cups toasted rice cereal
· 1/2 cup crunchy (or extra crunchy) peanut butter
· 1/2 cup packed brown sugar
· 1/2 cup light corn syrup
· 1 teaspoon vanilla

Mix together the first six ingredients in a BIG bowl. I mean big. Set aside. Combine peanut butter, brown sugar and corn syrup in a large bowl. Microwave on high for 2 minutes. Add vanilla and stir until blended. Add dry ingredients from medium bowl. Stir until coated, probably a good 5 mintues of stirring. Spoon mixture into an 8-inch square pan coated with non-stick spray. Press down firmly (It helps to spray fingers with nonstick spray). Let stand about 1 hour.
Cut into bars. Yield: 16-20 bars

I had to calculate the nutritional info. I think this is how it goes for the each batch:

Total Calories = 3908
Total Fat/Sat. Fat = 164g/26g
Total Sodium = 1914mg
Total Carbs = 522g
Total Fiber = 52g
Total Protien = 117g

**Divide each number by the number of servings you cut.**

So each of my batches made 16 bars. Here's for each bar:

Calories = 244
Fat/Sat. Fat = 10g/1.5g
Sodium = 120mg
Carbs = 32.5g
Fiber = 3+g
Protien = 7+g

Cheap and easy.

·
Am I getting too bulky?
800 Posts
For bike camping/backpacking, freeze a steak or three. By the time you've set p camp for the night, the steak should be plenty thawed enough to fry up over a fire. Nothing like real meat for dinner.

In the same vein as your papperoni, any old world sausages like salami, or landjager, will travel very well without refrigeration. Apples and oranges travel well too, as do most hard cheeses.

·
Registered
1,837 Posts
I bring nuts and dried fruit.

And lately, I've been making protein pancakes for breakfast - I make one huge one and eat it for breakfast and then make one or two extras, roll them up like burritos with fresh ground almond butter and all-fruit preserves in the middle, wrap them in tinfoil and stick them in my pack.

Protein pancake recipe:
1/2 cup old fashioned (non-instant) oatmeal
1/2 cup cottage cheese
1/2 cup egg whites
1 scoop protein powder
cinnamon
(and lately I add flaked coconut, coconut extract and macadamias)

I blend that up, then add a sliced banana or blueberries and crushed nuts (walnuts or whatever I have around.) Then cook them like regular pancakes. (And yes, they taste like regular pancakes too - just better for you. My friends didn't believe me at first, but lately I've had to share with everyone I'm riding with because they all like them.)

Obviously too complicated for campground cooking, but great if you're starting at home for an all day event (which we almost always do on weekends). I also bring wraps with roast beef and feta cheese - they're fairly uncrushable.

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
wow, lots of good idea.

I also like the little single serving foil poches of cooked chicken. They have tuna too, but I'm not a tuna fan unless it's from the grill.

·
Registered
571 Posts
Doing adventure races, I'm always looking for new 'pack-friendly' foods that I'll actually want to eat 30 hours in.

Some favourites:

Pringle mini-packs. (come in a box of 8 or so, vacuum-sealed) - don't crush, extra yummy, loads of salt & calories.

Peperoni sticks / hot rods / etc.

Quesadillas. Make 'em up, cut into triangles & foil wrap. Maybe not the best choice for a multi-day trip.

Croissants. (taste better if you use a french accent while eating ;) )

·
~*~*~*~*~
590 Posts
Crankypants said:
\
A great epic ride includes a stop at Kimballs, where they make it fresh with about 90% butterfat and a "small" is about a pint.
Kimballs!!!! :D :D :D YUMMMMMMMMMMMMMM! They have the best icecream.

When car camping you can bring just about anything that you could make at home, you just have to plan well. Last weekend my sister, nephew & I had: steak tips, grilled zucchini, baked potatos & string bean salad ~ blueberry pancakes, sausage & fruit, coffee & hot chocolate & oj ~ bacon & eggs, english muffins & grapes ~ hot dogs, baked beans, ceaser salad . Thank goodness we also biked many miles and climbed Cannon Mt. or else we would have had to get another camp site to accomodate our expanding waist lines! Food always tastes twice as good when you eat it out side. :p

·
Registered
324 Posts
I know what you mean

If I eat another cliff bar I think I would probably barf. I will have to try the Uncrustables. Great idea using the watch tin.

kelly

pfunk said:
my new favorite trail snack

http://www.smuckers.com/fg/otg/uncrustables/prod-strawberry.asp?groupid=3&catid=46&prodid=128

travels best in a little lunch box of some sort, ortherwise they tend to get squished. I use a fossil watch tin, which is just the right size for 2 (so I can carry one for my hubby too). I'm going through a "can't stand to eat clif bars" phase.

·
Registered
323 Posts
CycleMainiac said:
A guy I know just told me his wife uses Honey instead of energy gels like Clif Shots, Gu, or Hammer Gel. She cuts it with water to thin it out a bit and stuffs that in her jersey pocket. It doesn't have the caffeine that some of the other man-made gels do but otherwise they have all the benefits plus its more natural and much cheaper. I'm thinking of carrying one of those bear shaped honey bottles next time I go riding. You got the bear?!?!?!! :D

·
Registered
922 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
Honey Stinger makes honey products. they crystalize if left in your gear bag too long :confused:

I like the little sample clif bars, 100 calories. just the right size.

·
Registered
391 Posts
I like buffalo jerkey--moister and chewier than beef jerkey.

A really great item for dinner when camping, either car or back country is couscous. You just boil water, pour it over the couscous, cover and let it sit for 5 minutes. For back country trips, we bring couscous and those foil packages of indian food (available around here at Trader Joe's and Whole Foods) that you can just boil in the bag. Then pour it over the couscous. Really tasty.

1 - 20 of 28 Posts