Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 3 of 3 Posts

·
Cynical Bystander
6,770 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
What kinds of diets are you guys on? Not really looking to be a ultra thin XC Endurance racer, I mostly do DH and MX type riding, but I'd like to drop a bit of fat and start eating healthier all around. Any suggestions would be appreciated. Thanks. :)

·
Registered
1,360 Posts
My diet is pretty straight forward. I'm a chef at a high end restaurant and I'm there a lot. I have a lot of really good ingredients to put into my body. I'm an light wieght XC geek, 5'10" 150 pounds, around 10% body fat and dropping. Mostly I concentrate on eating quality carbs like whole grains. I eat salads a lot, sometimes 3X in a day. I stay away from red meat, although I will have a steak like a ribeye once in a while. When I do eat red meat I'll spend $30 on a really good steak, it's good for your happiness. I try to eat whole foods, fruits, veggies, etc. Stuff that tastes good and it's good for you. Don't eat crap. It's easy not too. If you want rice don't eat converted white rice like that uncle ben's bs. Buy good brown rice or Jasmine. Basmati is overrated, it looks nice, but Jasmine has better flavor. It'll be a little harder to cook then ben's but you'll learn, throw in some beans and goya sofrito and some grilled chicken. Top it with some cheese and some fresh chopped herbs and scallions and your good to go. Throw in an apple with honey for dessert and have glass of wine with it. All this in under 20 minutes. Piece of cake, which you should stay away from unless it's someone's birthday in which case I recommend ice cream cake. I know ice cream cake is bad, but it'll make you extra happy.

·
Registered
484 Posts
I use the same principles as Otis. Quality grains, no red meats and a whole lot of salads. I tend to eat my carbs in the morning and only during and immediately after training and I limit those to liquid form. I only eat pasta and bread maybe 2-4 times per month. I stay far away from High Fructose Corn Syrup and fried foods. In fact, the only Fructose that I tend to eat is from an apple or banana. Here's basically what I eat every day:

1 Non-Fat yogurt.

40 to 80g (measured dry) "Old Fashioned" oatmeal, pinch of salt, dash of vanilla. I'll sweeten it with Splenda or Equal on an off-day or I'll use 60g of Dextrose (100% Glucose) on a training / race day.

If it's an off-day and I'm only eating 40g of oatmeal, I'll make an omlette from 1/2 cup of "Egg Beaters" egg substitute to fill up until lunch.

For lunch, it's salad 5-7 days a week. Typically, it's a mixed greens / spinach, onion, grape tomato, grilled chicken, feta cheese, walnuts, dried cranberries, olive oil vinaigrette type salad. It has to have enough fats and proteins to keep you satiated until dinner, but it shouldn't be some 1000 calorie McDonalds monstrosity with fried chicken, bleu cheese dressing, ham, bacon, cheddar cheese, etc.

If I need a snack, I'll eat an apple. If it's a long endurance training day, I may drink a protein shake instead.

Dinner is the same as lunch: Salad! Last night I had a craving, so I whipped up some Basil Pesto and used it as a salad dressing. Unbelievably delicious :)

Like I said above, I typically only eat carbs during training and immediately after training. I buy Dextrose (again, 100% Glucose) in 2 lb bags on the internet for $1.81. For shorter rides of ~2 hours, I'll just use water and Hammer Gel. For longer rides of 3+ hours, I've been using Hammer Nutrition's "Perpetuem" sometimes mixed with 40-60g of Dextrose depending on waterbottle size (even though the label states not to mix it with simple sugars!). After riding, I mix about 40g of whey protein powder with 60-80g of Dextrose in 8-16oz skim milk for recovery. Ed Burke and Chris Carmichael would **** if they saw that much protein, but I disagree with them. I think it's necessary and so do my legs ;)

Anyway... The best way to eat healthy and not get cravings is to separate yourself from temptation. Don't buy crappy foods and snacks. Leave your fridge full of healthy foods. If you go out with friends... well... good luck! It's tough ;)

- Jeremy -

1 - 3 of 3 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.