Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner

1 - 20 of 82 Posts

·
Registered
Joined
·
602 Posts
Wasting less food won't magically get more food to hungry people. Poor people still can't afford enough quality food and third world countries still won't have enough food. The only thing that would directly come of a reduction in food waste in the US is less landfill consumption and some people in the food industry would lose their jobs.

I'd like to see more people work to eat a healthy, sustainable diet, personally.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,775 Posts
Wow that's crazy. I grew up in a house with my grandparents who lived throu the depresion. They didn't waste anything and would put a small bag out for trash while our neighbors would put out a few cans full. Guess that mentality has stuck with me because on shopping day will eat my way throu the fridge, Consume anything close to expiration, because it kills me to be so wasteful. Which is really no help and kinda becomes pure gluttony. We as a family throw away more stuff, not only food, than I care to admit, even to myself. It really is a shame considering all the less fortunate people in the world but human nature, or should I say American nature, is to live beyond your means. I know it's not going to magically find it's way to the less fortunate, but it's still a waste. Doesn't bother most to throw away food if they have the money and store to buy more.
Yes, we can and should do better but will we, I dought it.
It's gotta get worse before it gets better.
.02
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
585 Posts
That is one weak article. I particularly like this section:

"The new estimate of food waste, published in the journal PLoS ONE, is a relatively straightforward calculation: It's the difference between the U.S. food supply and what's actually eaten, which was estimated by using a model of human metabolism and known body weights."

The article goes on to state that they used to do interviews and inspect peoples garbage...but they thought that underestimated the issue so they came up with this model...which cranks out a number that they like better. I read that as "reality was proving that we were wrong so we made up this ******** model that supports our argument."

Shoddy, shoddy, shoddy. It reminds me of the "mark to model" shenanigans that helped create the sub-prime crisis.

I don't like that people are going hungry...but I really don't like people making up biased studies and trying to pass them off as scientific research to get their way. It's dishonest at it's core and we deserve better than that.
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,775 Posts
I hear ya but I really don't need a news article to convince me that we are wasteful, and even more so if you can afford to be. A few weeks ago I went and donated 2 Jeep Commander completely full loads of brand new toys and clothes. Mostly gifts over the years. That was after my yard sale were I literally gave things away to anyone who was interested, b/c I don't like to throw things away. I say Jeep Commander not only b/c it's big, but b/c I barely get 10mpg. So yes we can do better myself included.
 

·
Ride'n Dirty
Joined
·
144 Posts
bclagge said:
Wasting less food won't magically get more food to hungry people. Poor people still can't afford enough quality food and third world countries still won't have enough food. The only thing that would directly come of a reduction in food waste in the US is less landfill consumption and some people in the food industry would lose their jobs.

I'd like to see more people work to eat a healthy, sustainable diet, personally.
Exactly the way I see it & I only read the first paragraph.
 

·
M8 M12 M15 deez nuts
Joined
·
8,585 Posts
Me personally, I’m just tired of all the rude f**ks driving SUVs who smell like fabric softener. Is it too much to just ask them to take a proper shower instead of smelling like chemicals? Oh, and is it too much to ask them to just use their damn turn signals every now and then? Jesus!
 

·
Premium Member
Joined
·
5,775 Posts
I don't like to waste water but I take a shower every Tuesday wheather I need it or not.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
186 Posts
"...40% of all food PRODUCED in the United States..."
Not 40% of all food served/sold in the United States. Ignorant journalists.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,334 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
Well I am glad people read the article but I posted this up because its something I heard years and years ago, and having worked in the restraunt business saw absolute incredible waste that really irritated me, I grew up on a small ranch, we ate every part of a cow save the eyes and I was taught what we did not eat, went to the "pot hounds" I still try to live by that allthough like everyone, I let some things rot before I eat them, and I do not like that. sooo more articles from different sources.
http://dsc.discovery.com/news/briefs/20041122/foodwaste.html

http://www.nytimes.com/2008/05/18/weekinreview/18martin.html

As for oil, consumption is down in America
.
http://www.heatingoil.com/blog/us-h...6-as-conservation-and-fuel-switches-rise0314/
http://seekingalpha.com/article/211300-world-oil-consumption-was-down-in-09-u-s-production-increased
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
24 Posts
muddytire said:
.............but they thought that underestimated the issue so they came up with this model...which cranks out a number that they like better. I read that as "reality was proving that we were wrong so we made up this ******** model that supports our argument."

Shoddy, shoddy, shoddy. It reminds me of the "mark to model" shenanigans that helped create the sub-prime crisis.

I don't like that people are going hungry...but I really don't like people making up biased studies and trying to pass them off as scientific research to get their way. It's dishonest at it's core and we deserve better than that.
You got it right there.

It really is sad that "science" and "research" has come to this. Pretty much the same way they get the data to support "global climate change" or whatever they are calling it this week.

Sadly, we have our politicians to thank for the mark to market foolishness, but that is another issue.
 

·
The Brutally Handsome
Joined
·
1,257 Posts
I used to work as a dishwasher at a Cambodian restaurant. The owner, who had escaped with his wife from the Khmer Rouge, would occasionally see how much food was being wasted and nearly cry, and remark how many people he knew who died from starvation. Always stuck with me.
 

·
nocturnal oblivion
Joined
·
2,331 Posts
Airborne said:
It really is sad that "science" and "research" has come to this. Pretty much the same way they get the data to support "global climate change" or whatever they are calling it this week.
Two entirely different measures of evidence. How anyone can deny that human activity is not having an impact on the global climate is absurd.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
5 Posts
America isn't alone in food waste. You know that the European Union gives financial aids to their own farmers so that they're able to competite in the market against the third world country food? So far nothing bad about that - but this financial aid is higher the more the farmers produce - so they just produce a lot more than the people in Europe can eat - every year thousands of tons of milk are wasted. Not only milk of course, just to give an example.

I hate it. But shipping all the food we throw away to the people who really need it would be "too expensive". Why can't we just produce as much as we need, or just a little bit too much?
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
673 Posts
Regardless of the validity of this article, regardless of who/which country wastes the most food, regardless of the fact that eating less won't necessarily make food available to the very poor, I always clean my plate. I was raised that way, and I have a horrible amount of guilt attached to wasting food. When I need to cut back, I simply put less on the plate. It angers me when, every day and without fail, I see SO MUCH food being thrown away in my college's cafeteria because my generation is either too f4cking picky to eat everything they get or too f4cking stupid to minimize what they put on their plates. You'd think that they would learn, but it never seems to happen. It's disheartening.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
2,816 Posts
stumblemumble said:
Two entirely different measures of evidence. How anyone can deny that human activity is not having an impact on the global climate is absurd.
Agree. I just facepalmed hard 'nuff to leave a handprint on my forehead.
 

·
Registered
Joined
·
723 Posts
This is probably gonna ruffle some feathers, but how about we end all these programs that aid in keeping beat up abused pets alive. You know those horrible ASCPA Sarah Mclachlan commercials. Don't get me wrong, I love dogs, but there are freaking starving people in our world and it seems to me that we are more concerned with feeding the animals and treating them than feeding our own people.
 
1 - 20 of 82 Posts
Top