Mountain Bike Reviews Forum banner
1 - 20 of 25 Posts

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #1 ·
My step-dad and I built a cold smoker last year out of a 55 gallon drum. It has a fire box made of 1/2 inch steel plate connected to the drum with some 4-inch pipe. The whole rig is framed with 1/2 inch square tubing, is on wheels, and has a cedar work area across the front and around the non-firebox side. There is nothing better than slow cooking some chicken, ribs, ham, or other meat in that baby. I've even smoked ears of corn and peppers in it, as well as made my own jerky.

It's 30 degrees F outside and I am cooking chicken thighs that marinated for about 24 hours in a lovely blend of balsamic, Worcestershire, tamari, Old Bay, and oregano. A friend of mine who makes cabinets and furniture gave me some great walnut, cherry, and oak scraps and I thought I should put it to good use, weather be damned. I picked up a build-your-own 6-pack of dark beers at Liquor Locker on the way home from wood gathering and may even work in a shot or two of whiskey along the way.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #4 ·
This was my first time using walnut as a smoking wood. I have found that the color of the wood often gives a sneak peak as to what the food will look like and walnut is no different. The chicken was a dark brown color and had a slightly nutty, if dark, flavor. While I liked it and thought if complimented the Avery The Czar beer I was drinking during the meal, my wife and her claret thought it was a bit "dark" in her words. Next time, I will use it on a pork loin and she will think it is just right!

·
Registered
3,267 Posts
F-in' A, this ought to be in Passion. Although I generally do a quick smoke I loves me some smokey goodness anyway I can get it. Smoked a turkey on Christmas day, delightful. My wife and I regularly smoke fish, pork and anything else we can get our hands on. A acquaintance of mine has a rig similar to yours and has also smoked cheese in his, that just sounds f-ing delicious.

·
Registered
647 Posts
Now I can DEFINATLY hang with this. Stomach's growling as I type this.

How much did the project run you, not counting wood? I'd like to do this, I'm in college and broke, but my roomates and I can probably scrape something together if it isn't too much.

·
MEDBLKANOSCBLT2RP23
283 Posts
For Thanksgiving and Christmas I smoked a Tur-duc-hen for about 10-12 hours using hickory with orange juice, Moores steak sauce and other seasonings in the drip pan.

Best thing about it is you don't have to fight the women cooking in the kitchen for the oven and the meat is always moist. Beats the heck out of turkey in an oven. I use a thermal outdoor grill blanket as the cold temps keeps the internal temp low.

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #11 ·
^I bet that was awesome!

I want to try a duck in there sometime. I wish I hunted them as they are kind of pricey at the store.

Rufus - I haven't forgot about the pic request. The weather was crappy today and the pics looked bad. I'll try again tomorrow.

·
Registered
1,275 Posts
Here's my homebuilt pigroaster/smoker. The lid got too heavy to lift so I put a post behind it with a boat winch to raise and lower it.

It will smoke a 210 pound hog in about 7 hours.

I generally use cherry or apple wood.

Bean

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #13 ·
^WOW! That thing is huge (how often have I heard that ?)!

So that is a hot smoker, right? I didn't see a firebox in the pics.

I can hot smoke in mine, but I have not done so thus far. I just do the cold smoke routine. I have a smaller setup that I use for hot smoking.

If the weather is better tomorrow, I will take pictures of the area I affectionately refer to as "Grill Land." My wife thinks I have a problem as I currently own four different grills (though the gas grill NEVER gets used). She just doesn't see the logic behind having multiple rigs for specific types of cooking. However, she has no problem eating the food that comes off of them!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #15 · (Edited)
Some pics of Grill Land

The weather finally cooperated and I was able to take some pics of Grill Land.

Here is the shot from the back patio looking down into Grill Land. The tarp in the back-right corner is covering a pile of apple and hickory wood - no dead body:

The classic Weber for small batch grilling and BBQing:

Bubba the large smoker - used for all cold smoking activities:

Firebox on Bubba - somebody needs to clean it out! The steel plate gets really hot during operation. The patio blocks on top get hot enough to heat my BBQ sauce for basting. Setting a pot of beans directly on the steel gets them to serving temp in about 10 minutes:

Junior, my small smoker. I use this guy for hot smoking and larger grilling and BBQing activities. It was made by a steel fabricator and given to me by his sister. The stacks on the top serve as lid props when the grill is opened. Pretty smart:

No smoking area would be complete without a splittin' stump. I almost broke my leg wrestling this sucker from the bed of my truck to its final resting place. It measures just short of four feet across:

This is the best setup for starting your charcoal by far. I always lay a bed of coals down in Bubba's firebox at the start and this setup gets me going in about 3 minutes:

The gas grill is NEVER used. To illustrate this point, I have included a pic of the abandoned bird nest inside of it from last year:

That concludes our tour of Grill Land. I hope you enjoyed the show. Feel free to contact me when you are going to be in the Evansville, IN area; we will cook a mess of food and drink too many good beers!

·
Registered
2,536 Posts
Smoked duck is pretty good, but I still prefer the traditional chicken, pork, or beef. Duck is cheap to get around my part of Indiana, having Maple Leaf Farm nearby helps that.

I could go for a smoked brisket.. hmm.

G

·
hmmmm...i have this thing called an "aussie". i use it to slow cook ribs. i put all of the coals on one side , cook the ribs for 10 minutes on each side then take them off the direct heat and let them slow cook for about an hour and a half.

i never knew what i was missing.

BTW, i don't have enough friends to cook a half a hog, much less a whole one!

·
Registered
353 Posts
Discussion Starter · #19 ·
mikeb said:
hmmmm...i have this thing called an "aussie". i use it to slow cook ribs. i put all of the coals on one side , cook the ribs for 10 minutes on each side then take them off the direct heat and let them slow cook for about an hour and a half.

i never knew what i was missing.

BTW, i don't have enough friends to cook a half a hog, much less a whole one!
I can do that in Bubba and Junior. It works pretty well and is faster than a cold smoke, though you don't get the bark that you get with a true cold smoke.

1 - 20 of 25 Posts
This is an older thread, you may not receive a response, and could be reviving an old thread. Please consider creating a new thread.